1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Southern Cross Caravan Park (Berridale)

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by Ted Harper, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Ted Harper

Ted Harper One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

(Sidenote: I know this probably isn’t the right forum, but I know more of you in here than anywhere else, and I am asking a favour).

If anyone is driving through Berridale in daylight hours and has 10 minutes to spare, could you please drop in to Southern Cross van park (at the start of Middlingbank Rd) and see if you can raise anyone there.

I haven’t been down to my caravan since a couple of trips between October and Christmas, and even then I couldn’t find the manager (the lady’s name is Renee). Phoned and left a note under the office door that I had been down for a visit and some gardening around my van each time - in case someone had seen a car in the van park and let her know, so she’d know it was one of the van owners. Anyway I didn’t hear anything back.

I didn’t get down at all over Christmas due to the bushfires, and obviously can’t travel there now (because non-essential and I don’t want to be run out of town by locals with pitchforks).

I emailed them my annual certificate of insurance for my van a month or so ago and said to let me know if they have received it, and I haven’t heard anything.

Also haven’t received the invoice for this year’s site rental (which usually comes in March and I pay it in April, usually when I drive down for a pre-season check on the van, Eyre Burger test, etc) OR any other emails from the van park about anything for this year at all.

Have been trying to phone every couple of days for the last month or so too, to try to follow all of that up, and the phone is just ringing out - I can’t leave a voicemail or anything.

So anyway, if one of you driving through Berridale in the next few days could pop your nose in and see if there are signs of life (and ideally maintenance, like grass recently mown, etc) around the place, or some sort of note on the office door, that would be great, thanks! Ideally if you can find the manager, could you please let them know their phone is broken and have them phone or email me.

Right now I have no idea what’s up, and no way to go and check for myself. I’ve had my van there for about 35 years so it isn’t going anywhere (and it IS insured anyway), but it’s a bit concerning to hear nothing at all for nearly 6 months now...

piolet likes this.
  2. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

3. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

If he is back from Japow, and out of quarantine anyhoo

4. bradw

bradw Hard Yards

Hi Ted,

I've got my van there as well, but also live in Sydney so can't check on it.

I received my annual invoice on 5 March and emailed Renee about the insurance. She got back to me on 11 March.

Haven't had a reason to contact her since then.

Hasn't been quite the same since Ben & Michelle left.

Ted Harper likes this.
  5. Ted Harper

Hmmm. I definitely didn’t get the invoice - either emailed or a physical mailed one for that matter - and didn’t get a reply (or a bounce message) from sending the PDF of my van insurance. Nothing has changed my end email-wise and I used the same email address and phone number for the van park I always have. Very strange...

6. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

I'll try and remember to drop by tomorrow.

7. Ted Harper

Thanks, after hearing above that someone else did get this year’s invoice and an email response, I re-emailed my certificate of insurance and in the email also asked for my annual invoice to be (re-?)sent. Made another attempt to phone too. Again nothing :( (and yes I used the email address and phone number on the website, which is what I had in my contacts list, but checked to be sure...).

Thanks again.

Jonathan_P likes this.
  8. bradw

bradw Hard Yards

Hi Ted,

Did you ever get a response? Is everything OK down there?

Ta, Brad.

Ted Harper likes this.
  9. Ted Harper

No, I was actually going to bump the thread today but I lost focus and forgot :(

I re-emailed after the back-and-forth above and have also been phoning unsuccessfully every second day (I have a reminder in my phone) and have still had NO communication from them at all.

I could just transfer the same money as last year to the same bank account, but if something is wrong/different that might not be the best thing for me to do with my $1500...

10. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

An ASIC search shows that the registration of the business name Southern Cross Caravan Park has been cancelled. There is no reason to assume that this is the Berridale one. Do you know whether a, and what, company ran the place?

11. Ted Harper

The letterhead company name (from last year’s site rental invoice for example) is “Southern Cross Motor Inn & Tourist Park”.
    From last year’s invoice again, the ABN is 34605581039 and the company name for the bank account (for the direct transfer) is “Jacqueeba Holdings Pty Ltd”.

The ownership for Southern Cross should have been the same for about the last 15 years or so (since Dennis and Robyn Francis sold it so they could buy the Snow Bunny lodge in Smiggins (which is now the Lions Lair lodge since they sold it to retire a few years back). I’ve had my van there since about 1984 or 85, so I pre-date several sets of park owners :)

just did an ASIC search on that ABN and it is still current, viz: https://abr.business.gov.au/ABN/View?id=34605581039

Jacko4650 and piolet like this.
  12. Billy_Buttons

Billy_Buttons Que Sera, Sera Ski Pass: Gold

Ever thought about phoning the Berridale Police Station and airing your personal concerns? https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/about...uthern_region/monaro/berridale_police_station

piolet and Ted Harper like this.
  13. bradw

bradw Hard Yards

The ownership changed again about 4 years ago. Dennis & Robin sold it to Gary & Kerry in 2005 (I think) who had it for about 11 years. Michelle (Gary's niece) and her hubby Ben managed it. Ben and Michelle stayed on for 1 year (I think) after Gary sold it to the current owners. Apparently there are 3 owners - not sure if it's a couple and an individual , or 3 individuals.

Given the circumstances, I think I'll just leave the invoice unpaid until they come chasing.

cold wombat and Ted Harper like this.
  14. Ted Harper

You’re right, I had forgotten from when Ben and Michelle left and went travelling, because the managers and owners changing over didn’t happen at the same time.

if I’d received the invoice I would certainly have paid it, but I definitely didn’t get it, haven’t got an acknowledgement they got my insurance certificate for this year, and am simply unable to raise them at all by email or phone.

I might give Berridale police a call tomorrow morning and ask what they reckon I should do. As long as I am not going to get booked for non-essential travel I really don’t mind going down and back one day and see if I can sort anything out physically being there - or at least have a walk around and see if anything at all has been done around the park for the last while, because this time of year it will be pretty obvious if nobody is around because the un-mowed grass will be going berserk.

15. Ted Harper

Thanks again for the suggestion @Billy_Buttons

To follow myself up, I just got off the phone from speaking with the very nice officer at Berridale Police Station (?Shane?). He's pretty sure everything is ok with the business, but he hasn't seen Renee around for some weeks at least, and he would assume the business is on ice (i.e. Renee on Jobkeeper) as of course everything tourism-wise around town is totally shut down.

If he sees her he's going to ask that she contacts me, and suggest from me if she can get the the van park phone either giving a message (about their status) or fixed/rebooted so it lets you leave a message and she can give calls back when she gets a chance.

16. bradw

bradw Hard Yards

Ted,

I now have a mobile number for Renee. Has she responded to you in any way?

Let me know if you need the number.

Jonathan_P likes this.
  17. Ted Harper

Thanks Brad; no I still have had absolutely no response - not to emails and I haven’t had a phone call to the van park’s published number answered or been able to leave a voicemail message there.

I tried phoning again - I have a reminder to try a call every second day - literally just before I checked ski.com.au just now and saw your message here.

Maybe pm me the number please. I have failed every other method to communicate and looking at it from my side, if I didn’t know you had contact with Renee in the last month or two *i* have not seen or heard anything since last winter. Nobody around and no signs of life when I was there in November, no responses to my emails or phone calls any time since then either, no invoice received for this year’s site rental, AND I can’t just jump in the car and go and see what’s going on as I normally would have by this stage.

Jonathan_P and piolet like this.
  18. dbc33

dbc33 Hard Yards

@Ted Harper I may be able to help, live in Berridale and work with Renee's mum. Will have a chat to her tomorrow.

19. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Ted. Move your van to Dalgety. The town is going off; a new house was built last year and dozens of properties have been sold in the past 12 months! The drive up to the snow is good, circa 50min to Perisher car park with very little traffic as long as you go early enough to beat the crowds at the Jindy roundabout. In fact, you could buy it and save on site fees - going at a very reasonable $450K or so; cheaper than a car space in Mosman. Water views, plenty of room for relatives, platypus aplenty, a great iconic pub across the road and a passive income as well if you like?
    Failing that, it's still a good spot to have an annual site. Second alternative: Pat's Patch. I hear it is quite good now that it has been cleaned up.

20. dbc33

dbc33 Hard Yards

@Ted Harper doesn't sound the best, I'd probably hold on to your cash for the moment. Owner of the place "a Chinese fella nicknamed bacon" has completely shut up shop and not paying any staff or even applying for job keeper so Renee is up the creek. No calls are being answered and not sure when that will change, hopefully it will be soon but if i hear any more will update here.

cold wombat, Jonathan_P, nfip and 4 others like this.
  21. Ted Harper

Update: I got an email back from Renee (manager) this morning. She is back working from this week, so hopefully her pay - JobKeeper or otherwise - has been resolved in a satisfactory way for her with the van park owners. She will re-send my site rental invoice later in the week; I suggested maybe whatever stopped mine arriving might have affected other van owners too...

She doesn't know what is happening at all for winter yet.

22. bradw

bradw Hard Yards

That makes a bit more sense now. The email I got from her on Sunday said that everything was fine. Although I did happen to mention that I was reluctant to pay the annual fees if there was a problem with the park.

Thanks for the update Ted - dbc33's post had me a bit concerned.

Jonathan_P and Ted Harper like this.
  23. Ted Harper

I don't mind Dalgety; for about the last 25 years though (out of the 35 or so it has been a Berridale) I have really only used the van as a "fallback option" when I don't want to stay in the lodge on the hill (can't get a bed, just skiing for one day, heading down late at night but the road up the hill looks too terrible), so being closer to Sydney in Berridale (vs Dalgety) is a big plus.

Way back when I was scoping out where to put the van we checked out Pat's Patch; this was back in the mid-80's so you can imagine what it was like then :) At the time the owner and manager of the van park at Berridale was a very nice single gay guy called Brian (he had bought it from the old Russian guy who built the place - and had also put in all those concrete footings next door that were eventually developed into those townhouses), so it was run very well, fastidiously clean, etc. Basically the polar opposite of Pat's Patch. Since my wife (girlfriend at that time) got an equal say in where we put the van, she had to be comfortable there too, and the choice of Berridale was pretty clear-cut for us.

After it has sat in one place for all those years, I reckon getting the van able to move anywhere would be more trouble than it's worth. I mean I haven't built a big annex or other building around it or anything, and it still has its wheels and tyres (just the van is up on blocks so they aren't on the ground), but I reckon making it able to be safely moved anywhere is more of a project than I'd been keen to take on. Would be easier and less stress just to sell it if I didn't want to stay there any more.