Spencer's CK 2021

warrie

One of Us
Jun 15, 2008
Sydney
No readings on Snowy Hydro graphs. But in 2020 depths lost 6 cm from 3 to 18 June to be 12 cm so if it's 70 cm plus today as per PB claim, then 2021 is well ahead. For a June LWE opening its in the top 10 for the last 68 years. Beaten by 1956, 60, 62, ,68, 77, 80, 83, 2000, Most LWE's are duds. This one benefits by being as late as possible with Mon 14th the public holiday.

Reactions: Adelaidometer

Chookfooter

One of Us
May 11, 2020
No readings on Snowy Hydro graphs. But in 2020 depths lost 6 cm from 3 to 18 June to be 12 cm so if it's 70 cm plus today as per PB claim, then 2021 is well ahead. For a June LWE opening its in the top 10 for the last 67 years. Beaten by 56, 60, 62, ,68, 77, 80, 83, 2000, Most LWE's are duds. This one benefits by being as late as possible with Mon 14th the public holiday.
According to my records there have been 13 readings above 50cm for this week since they started recording it. This is all a bit tricky because you can have a dump like Wednesday that if it had occurred on Thursday would not have been measured til next week, by which time it would have settled as well.

Reactions: cold wombat

robbo mcs

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
According to my records there have been 13 readings above 50cm for this week since they started recording it. This is all a bit tricky because you can have a dump like Wednesday that if it had occurred on Thursday would not have been measured til next week, by which time it would have settled as well.

People have short memories ;) 2019 was pretty awesome, Perisher had all 4 resort areas open this time of year. Dropped down the following week due to rain https://www.perisher.com.au/perisher-news/perisher-now/1354-all-four-resort-areas-will-open

Like you say, pretty tricky this time of year, because the Spencers measurements are not so reliable.

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017

warrie

One of Us
Jun 15, 2008
Sydney
I was looking at a paper poster which you pick up at the Snowy Hydro Cooma visitors centre . Postage stamp sized graphs so not too precise, but I did pick 70 cm not 50 cm for what I estimated to be 10/11 June. Yep, 2019 hit 70 on 1 June but fell to 40 by 10th according to the poster. But on website the graph was 42 cm on 5th and fell to 16 cm 8 days later. Anyway it's 2021 - enjoy.

Ret-ro

One of Us
Sep 7, 2017
When are they going to get up there to do the measure. Are they just lax?

robbo mcs

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
Snowy hydros enthusiasm for doing the measurements seems to have been waning in recent years. The measurement is really of minimal importance to them these days, they have other methods of assessing snowpack. They do it more to keep up the historical record. The last few years the days of the week have been all over the place, there have been delays in posting it. Last year they didn’t even bother measuring a signicant 50cm + early season fall.

It is a pity really, as it is an amazing historical record, we are very lucky to have it.

warrie

One of Us
Jun 15, 2008
Sydney
Latest on more accurate snow depth measurements: See page 8 for the article. I wonder if new technology will cause job losses for the men who operate the snow corers. Or will it be similar to the fact that Snowy Hydro dam levels are automatically measured but a human still checks the level via the staff gauges along the shoreline/dam wall? Hey, it's progress- until it's your job.
https://www.snowyhydro.com.au/wp-co...dro_Community_Newsletter_June2021_FAweb-1.pdf

robbo mcs

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
Latest on more accurate snow depth measurements: See page 8 for the article. I wonder if new technology will cause job losses for the men who operate the snow corers. Or will it be similar to the fact that Snowy Hydro dam levels are automatically measured but a human still checks the level via the staff gauges along the shoreline/dam wall? Hey, it's progress- until it's your job.
https://www.snowyhydro.com.au/wp-co...dro_Community_Newsletter_June2021_FAweb-1.pdf

I knew they were doing satellite mapping, but hadn't heard about those new remote measurement stations. Hopefully they will still be doing the traditional measures, if only to keep up the historical records. You can select 2021 on the charts, which hopefully shows intent, but at this stage it is just blank :(

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
I knew they were doing satellite mapping, but hadn't heard about those new remote measurement stations. Hopefully they will still be doing the traditional measures, if only to keep up the historical records. You can select 2021 on the charts, which hopefully shows intent, but at this stage it is just blank :(
I've been told a lo of Hydro's people have been snaffled up by the new project. The resultant staff shortage might be effecting the hydrographers like it is other departments.

warrie

One of Us
Jun 15, 2008
Sydney
I've been told a lo of Hydro's people have been snaffled up by the new project. The resultant staff shortage might be effecting the hydrographers like it is other departments.
Why would a manager take a trained hydrographer and put him to work on Snowy 2.0 which has zero need for his skills? As per their website they are advertising for all sorts of tradesmen : http:// futuregenerationjv.com. au/job-opportunities-1
I might give ém a call and ask re lack of depth measurements.

warrie

One of Us
Jun 15, 2008
Sydney
Oh dear, there may not be any published depth readings. Anyone out there with a source to confirm/deny same?

Chookfooter

One of Us
May 11, 2020
I doubt there is much truth to that, Snowy 2 is being built by a completely different company, Future Generation Joint Venture, which Snowy Hydro has no interest in. There would be no transfer, SH staff would have to quit to join the new mob, and from what I hear that wouldn't be very smart.

Reactions: Ozgirl

snowflake21

First Runs
Jun 15, 2021
I have it on good authority that snowy hydro have decided to reduce the amount of snow surveys. The reason behind this is apparently because they have become extremely risk averse and they do not want their staff to be taking unnecessary risks while doing their job (I. E. Doing snowsurveys). The "cotton wool" culture is truly in our regions and there is a perceived safety risk when using oversnow vehicles (or maybe there is an element of fun to this job that they cannot condone).
Whatever the reason, they are not paid to keep the historical record neat (as much as we would love it) and there is no operational need to have this data early in the season. I'd guess there will be less than weekly snow survey measurements this year.

Adelaidometer

One of Us
Jun 24, 2015
Yeah, massive 50cm+ dump unmeasured last year. I think it was in May
It was then literally washed away from history

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
I've emailed them this arvo to see what's what. Will report back or send story link when I know more. I'm reporting for Weatherzone coupla days a week for those who don't know. Welcome to the forum btw @snowflake21. Would you be willing to tell me privately what you know strictly off the record if I PM you? That's assuming Snowy Hydro is not forthcoming with info. Cheers

warrie

One of Us
Jun 15, 2008
Sydney
I have it on good authority that snowy hydro have decided to reduce the amount of snow surveys. The reason behind this is apparently because they have become extremely risk averse and they do not want their staff to be taking unnecessary risks while doing their job (I. E. Doing snowsurveys). The "cotton wool" culture is truly in our regions and there is a perceived safety risk when using oversnow vehicles (or maybe there is an element of fun to this job that they cannot condone).
Whatever the reason, they are not paid to keep the historical record neat (as much as we would love it) and there is no operational need to have this data early in the season. I'd guess there will be less than weekly snow survey measurements this year.
There are new fangled automatic snow depth and weight measurers as per link above in my post. Data should still come in every second for that matter and could still be graphed on the Snowy Snow Depths site here for those unaware: https://www.snowyhydro.com.au/generation/live-data/snow-depths/
Imagine if Capt Cook had all this nappy society bunkum. He never would have been allowed to sail and none of us would be here. Well we wouldn't be speaking English. LOL

Chookfooter

One of Us
May 11, 2020
I would be extremely surprised if they stopped taking readings all year round. Their whole business model relies on knowing what water they have sitting on the ground and in the lakes, plus studying trends in where and when the snow falls as well as how much. I'd suggest your "good authority" is not as informed as you think.
SH also relies on good PR, has done since Bill Hudson sat at his desk, and would be well aware of the bad PR generated if they stopped providing it.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
BOM (or someone) has some large very whizzy weather stations out in the MR. Two of in the valleys between Tate & Twynam. I’ve seen more but cannot remember where.

Reactions: Kindness

robbo mcs

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
I would be extremely surprised if they stopped taking readings all year round. Their whole business model relies on knowing what water they have sitting on the ground and in the lakes, plus studying trends in where and when the snow falls as well as how much. I'd suggest your "good authority" is not as informed as you think.
SH also relies on good PR, has done since Bill Hudson sat at his desk, and would be well aware of the bad PR generated if they stopped providing it.

But the historical 3x measuring stations are now largely redundant. As the link posted above by @warrie explains, they have satellite mapping, as well as multiple new automated weight measurement systems situated around the traps. That gives them much more information across the whole range than the old methods

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra

Chookfooter

One of Us
May 11, 2020
But the historical 3x measuring stations are now largely redundant. As the link posted above by @warrie explains, they have satellite mapping, as well as multiple new automated weight measurement systems situated around the traps. That gives them much more information across the whole range than the old methods
That is true, but all that modern stuff doesn't go back to 1953.

robbo mcs

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
That is true, but all that modern stuff doesn't go back to 1953.
I know. Thats the whole point. It would be a tragedy to lose that historical continuity. However, I also get it from Hydro's perspective. They are left with a legacy to maintain, which costs them money, potentially has WHS issues, and is of no real value to them, only to others.

Fingers crossed, we will see ongoing measurements

Reactions: GlendaN
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass