Spencer's CK 2021

Cadir

First Runs
Jul 22, 2021
Measurements have been all over the place atm so whatever the site says is the best guess :p
The 63.7 at deep creek on the 14th is definitely an error. It goes from 8.9 on the 13th straight to 63.7 on the 14th. No snow fell in between those dates and it would also be the first time snowy hydro's ever measured two days in a row.

Cadir

First Runs
Jul 22, 2021
Does anyone know what the record is for the biggest jump between consecutive measurements? Might have a chance of breaking it, although only because they've started measuring more infrequently.

warrie

One of Us
Jun 15, 2008
Sydney
Deep Ck Snow sampling course is right beside the carpark for the trackhead for the now Jan 2020 turned to cinders Round Mtn Hut. Turn off the tar and drive 100m or so to the carpark and on the east side is a flattish area where the samples are taken. As the crow flies it would be about 10 km SSW of Selwyn and at a similar altitude of 1620 m. Grid reference 238115 on the map 8525 Kosciusko. 3 Mile is 1460 m at 307280 on 8526 Yarrangobilly. Walk across the dam wall - as it is usually gated, and the site is NW of the water. Spencers at 1830 m at grid ref 205677 also on 8525. No evidence of any sampling at either site in summer.
Above is a cut and paste from last year. No update at https://www.snowyhydro.com.au/generation/live-data/snow-depths/

Reactions: Kletterer

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
Does anyone know the exact location / coordinates for the S Creek measuring station. @SMSkier ?
I dont have the coordinates. Are you up skinning about on Guthrie’s Ridge? If yes, from the trig, ski left towards Spencer’s Creek and Perisher. Maybe a hundred metres or so then swing to skiers right and straight down to the road. Plenty of turns if the cover is decent. The sampling poles are just up from the road. Maybe a hundred metres or so. It would be opposite the road bend and before the first spot where you park below Guthrie’s in Summer. Pretty certain you know this but easy access to the trig from top of the poma, skin up to Mt Guthrie then across the ridge line.

Alternate to the above is traverse from Mt Guthrie, towards Spencer’s and staying highish with the road on skiers right. You’ll pretty much run into the sample area.

Reactions: Kletterer

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
Dug a pit near treeline at DHG today, didn't dig to bushes. Average around the area was approx 105cm.
IMG_20210723_135131.jpg

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
Any shear testing?
Rough rundown - 105 from surface down from storm last weekend fairly consistent but with 2 weak lines that broke with force. Sugar icy layer underneath very distinct interface (didn't test, too deep to keep digging), couple older layers under that to bush. I'd say pretty good conditions for thick slab avi's on steep slopes.

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
Driving past the area in the snowcat this arvo. It looks pretty deep. Many of the good sized trees have snow up close to the canopy. Skiing under them has become very difficult in some areas.

Reactions: cold wombat

Cadir

First Runs
Jul 22, 2021
Alright so based off my quick scan of all the big seasons. The biggest increase between consecutive measurements was in July 1964 with 155.7 on the 6th and 308.4 on the 20th (increase of 152.7). This (again just based on my scan of the big seasons) I think is also the biggest fortnightly increase (even for when there's 2 measurements). Given it's fortnightly that gives us the perfect opportunity to beat it when they measure this week. We'd need to get more than 216.4 in order to beat it, which I feel is more on the optimistic end but still possible.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass