Spencer's CK 2021

Cadir

Early Days
Jul 22, 2021
Measurements have been all over the place atm so whatever the site says is the best guess :p
The 63.7 at deep creek on the 14th is definitely an error. It goes from 8.9 on the 13th straight to 63.7 on the 14th. No snow fell in between those dates and it would also be the first time snowy hydro's ever measured two days in a row.

Cadir

Early Days
Jul 22, 2021
Does anyone know what the record is for the biggest jump between consecutive measurements? Might have a chance of breaking it, although only because they've started measuring more infrequently.

warrie

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2008
Sydney
Deep Ck Snow sampling course is right beside the carpark for the trackhead for the now Jan 2020 turned to cinders Round Mtn Hut. Turn off the tar and drive 100m or so to the carpark and on the east side is a flattish area where the samples are taken. As the crow flies it would be about 10 km SSW of Selwyn and at a similar altitude of 1620 m. Grid reference 238115 on the map 8525 Kosciusko. 3 Mile is 1460 m at 307280 on 8526 Yarrangobilly. Walk across the dam wall - as it is usually gated, and the site is NW of the water. Spencers at 1830 m at grid ref 205677 also on 8525. No evidence of any sampling at either site in summer.
Above is a cut and paste from last year. No update at https://www.snowyhydro.com.au/generation/live-data/snow-depths/

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
Does anyone know the exact location / coordinates for the S Creek measuring station. @SMSkier ?
I dont have the coordinates. Are you up skinning about on Guthrie’s Ridge? If yes, from the trig, ski left towards Spencer’s Creek and Perisher. Maybe a hundred metres or so then swing to skiers right and straight down to the road. Plenty of turns if the cover is decent. The sampling poles are just up from the road. Maybe a hundred metres or so. It would be opposite the road bend and before the first spot where you park below Guthrie’s in Summer. Pretty certain you know this but easy access to the trig from top of the poma, skin up to Mt Guthrie then across the ridge line.

Alternate to the above is traverse from Mt Guthrie, towards Spencer’s and staying highish with the road on skiers right. You’ll pretty much run into the sample area.

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
Dug a pit near treeline at DHG today, didn't dig to bushes. Average around the area was approx 105cm.
IMG_20210723_135131.jpg

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
Any shear testing?
Rough rundown - 105 from surface down from storm last weekend fairly consistent but with 2 weak lines that broke with force. Sugar icy layer underneath very distinct interface (didn't test, too deep to keep digging), couple older layers under that to bush. I'd say pretty good conditions for thick slab avi's on steep slopes.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Cadir

Early Days
Jul 22, 2021
Deep creek measurement from Thursday just came in. 60.3. They haven't removed the error 63.7 reading

Cadir

Early Days
Jul 22, 2021
Alright so based off my quick scan of all the big seasons. The biggest increase between consecutive measurements was in July 1964 with 155.7 on the 6th and 308.4 on the 20th (increase of 152.7). This (again just based on my scan of the big seasons) I think is also the biggest fortnightly increase (even for when there's 2 measurements). Given it's fortnightly that gives us the perfect opportunity to beat it when they measure this week. We'd need to get more than 216.4 in order to beat it, which I feel is more on the optimistic end but still possible.

Reactions: skifree and Reetro

Reetro

One of Us
Sep 7, 2017
SO the Snowy Hydro effort has left us in a self manage situation.> Have they been called to ask why they are not doing it? What gives

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
See this on their website. They are making it abundantly clear that they don’t exist to serve the ski resorts/snow community, will take “irregular“ measurements, and if we want to know about snow conditions, go and ask the resorts ROFL . Not sure if this is new or if I’ve just not noticed it before!

04FC9BA2-A08D-454B-B70C-55CBBAB21286.png

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
The resorts might have to start using their own readings, which they have been taking for years. They prefer to use Snowy Hero's though because they have bigger numbers.

rocketboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 9, 2010
Gerroa
SO the Snowy Hydro effort has left us in a self manage situation.> Have they been called to ask why they are not doing it? What gives

what do people expect when Snowy Hydro is led by the highest paid CEO of a public utility on the planet. Snowy Hydro is nowadays just one big rort paying full freight for every bulldozer. Every truck of cement. Every delivery of steel. Your LNP govt at work like everything else they touch. Just one big trough to feed at for those on the gravy train.

Reetro

One of Us
Sep 7, 2017
what do people expect when Snowy Hydro is led by the highest paid CEO of a public utility on the planet. Snowy Hydro is nowadays just one big rort paying full freight for every bulldozer. Every truck of cement. Every delivery of steel. Your LNP govt at work like everything else they touch. Just one big trough to feed at for those on the gravy train.
Expect.. that they read the poles like they have for 30 years. What is wrong with these organisations. Maybe we should all call and complain.. lol (cant see how the LNP is involved any more than the red party, but leave that for the t-bar Rocket!!)

rocketboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 9, 2010
Gerroa
Expect.. that they read the poles like they have for 30 years. What is wrong with these organisations. Maybe we should all call and complain.. lol (cant see how the LNP is involved any more than the red party, but leave that for the t-bar Rocket!!)

Nowadays the Federal Govt owns 100% of Snowy Hydro - and they have happily allowed Snowy 2.0 to be turned into a massive slush fund to pay full freight and more for every purchase. The LNP govt runs Australia and they have allowed the ever higher packages for their favoured CEOs of state owned utilities - unless you are a woman at AustPost - then it's open season to tear them down. While ignoring the absolute obscence trough feeding occuring at Snowy Hydro led by the highest paid CEO of a publicly owned utility on the planet.

Reetro

One of Us
Sep 7, 2017
Nowadays the Federal Govt owns 100% of Snowy Hydro - and they have happily allowed Snowy 2.0 to be turned into a massive slush fund to pay full freight and more for every purchase. The LNP govt runs Australia and they have allowed the ever higher packages for their favoured CEOs of state owned utilities - unless you are a woman at AustPost - then it's open season to tear them down. While ignoring the absolute obscence trough feeding occuring at Snowy Hydro led by the highest paid CEO of a publicly owned utility on the planet.
Rocket boy for Waste paper boy?

CIRCA1962

Addicted
May 4, 2010
ACT
See this on their website. They are making it abundantly clear that they don’t exist to serve the ski resorts/snow community, will take “irregular“ measurements, and if we want to know about snow conditions, go and ask the resorts ROFL . Not sure if this is new or if I’ve just not noticed it before!

04FC9BA2-A08D-454B-B70C-55CBBAB21286.png
Perhaps a Ministerial direction has been put in place not to publish the data. Publishing reliable data that measures the impact of climate change over 60 years is not something that the new owner appears to do.

Reactions: Ijay

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
Perhaps a Ministerial direction has been put in place not to publish the data. Publishing reliable data that measures the impact of climate change over 60 years is not something that the new owner appears to do.
Quite possibly. Meanwhile, still no update on the Spencer’s Creek depth over at Snowy Hydro. May have to send @Myazma back out with the measuring stick … ;)

Reactions: skifree

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
I'm starting to think along those lines myself, particularly now that you have people like Angus Taylor running the show. I find it very hard to believe they would stop taking measurements after 60 years when snow depth, and changes, are so critical to their business. I know they have more sophisticated and accurate techniques now, but that is just starting the whole measurement process from scratch and it would be very difficult to marry the two processes together. My theory is that they are still taking the measurements, they are just not telling the public. When you graph the levels over the last almost 70 years, it is quite telling how climate change is affecting snow levels, particularly when you look at the length of the seasons now and I'm sure Sir William's grandson doesn't want us seeing that.

CIRCA1962

Addicted
May 4, 2010
ACT
I'm starting to think along those lines myself, particularly now that you have people like Angus Taylor running the show. I find it very hard to believe they would stop taking measurements after 60 years when snow depth, and changes, are so critical to their business. I know they have more sophisticated and accurate techniques now, but that is just starting the whole measurement process from scratch and it would be very difficult to marry the two processes together. My theory is that they are still taking the measurements, they are just not telling the public. When you graph the levels over the last almost 70 years, it is quite telling how climate change is affecting snow levels, particularly when you look at the length of the seasons now and I'm sure Sir William's grandson doesn't want us seeing that.
I agree they are still measuring, but not making the data available to the public. This also reflects their disclaimer which is now on the website. They clearly do not want their data cited in future climate change reports.

Reactions: carveanalyst

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
I agree they are still measuring, but not making the data available to the public. This also reflects their disclaimer which is now on the website. They clearly do not want their data cited in future climate change reports.
Really?

Reactions: Kletterer

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
Taking measurements is simply low on priorities . So many SMA trigs have been destroyed by the elements and now lie below their lofty placements. The various Cloud Seeding installations are skeletons and as 1 or 2 other members can attest to most of the vehicular trails to remote measuring stations have become overgrown. Its all about Snowy 2 atm and its a huge undertaking.

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
Maybe the 3 resorts could get together and continue the readings. It's only once a week, someone could shoot out to read it. It works in the resorts favour, they use that measurement in their promotional material because it's better than their own. It is also independent so there is no "mines bigger than yours" bs going on. Dream on CF, resorts working together?:eek:

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
I know they have more sophisticated and accurate techniques now, but that is just starting the whole measurement process from scratch and it would be very difficult to marry the two processes together.
The prolly already have enough overlap to have confidence in their new models. The remote sensing techniques they'll be using now are mature.

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
Maybe the 3 resorts could get together and continue the readings. It's only once a week, someone could shoot out to read it. It works in the resorts favour, they use that measurement in their promotional material because it's better than their own. It is also independent so there is no "mines bigger than yours" bs going on. Dream on CF, resorts working together?:eek:
There are multiple poles to measure and it needs to be done in a manner consistent with past practices. It's a non trivial exercise.

Reactions: Telemark Phat

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
33 percent of renewables supply says your assumption is totaly incorrect.

Reactions: cold wombat

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
The prolly already have enough overlap to have confidence in their new models. The remote sensing techniques they'll be using now are mature.
You could be right, but it is interesting that they are not going to release the readings from the new models if that is the case and it appears they aren't based on the disclaimer shown above. Maybe they are trying to hit the resorts up for some funds to supply it and they are holding them to ransom. It will make the snow charts in the back of the Snowy Times redundant.

robbo mcs

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
33 percent of renewables supply says your assumption is totaly incorrect.
Yep it is a bit absurd. Snowy hydro is the countries largest provider of despatchable clean power. Currently spending billions to make even more volume of renewable despatchable power. Yet the conspiracy theorists would have us believe they are not sending two men on skidoos to measure snow, because they are trying to fool the world into thinking climate change is not realo_O

What a cunning plot:rolleyes:

robbo mcs

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
You could be right, but it is interesting that they are not going to release the readings from the new models if that is the case and it appears they aren't based on the disclaimer shown above. Maybe they are trying to hit the resorts up for some funds to supply it and they are holding them to ransom. It will make the snow charts in the back of the Snowy Times redundant.
The reason is more likely related to money. If they have really good data on how much snow, the state of the snow etc, they probably want to keep that commercial in confidence. You have to remember they see the snow sitting on the ground like dollar bills sitting there, waiting to be banked;)

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
The new models won't be giving comparable depths at that location. What they will be giving will be whole of catchment snowpack volume (which was the point of the previous measurements).

Reactions: Chookfooter

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
Whats quite amusing is that whats really happening is the obvious progression- Remote sensing via satellite to measure snow depth and potential runoff/ snow melt is thus calculated . On ground obs could be interpolated but for forecasting snowmelt the satellite data is probably good enough for forecasting and planning flow volume management .

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass