Question Spherical Goggles

azzski

Should know better
Ski Pass
Aug 6, 1999
St Kilda, Australia
So as the owner of a large head, large framed spherical goggles have been a boon for me. Before I tried them, I always found goggles tinky and severely limiting of visibility, and I preferred sunglasses in any conditions I could get away with wearing them in. Now, I'm wearing goggles 100% of the time on the hill.

I've been a long time proponent of Electric EG2 and then EG3 goggles giving the best field of view as well as comfort, but I've become a bit frustrated with the build quality and how long the lenses seem to last. Anon M2 seem to win the ease of interchangeable lens battle, but the frame is a bit smaller on them in comparison to Electric and it impacts field of view. Smith I/O is another one whose frame I find smallish and field of view limited. I thought Dragon X2 would be the answer, but I borrowed a friends' pair and wow does the nose-piece area take up some space inside (and I have the same reservations about build quality).

Oakley Airbrake XLs are something I've been considering but they're always a lot more expensive than the other options, so I've been a bit hesitant to pull the trigger. Does anyone have any recommendations/advice? Are there any other options out there I should be considering? Some I'm aware of but never seen are Von Zipper Jetpack, Giro Onset, Spy Doom.

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
So as the owner of a large head, large framed spherical goggles have been a boon for me. Before I tried them, I always found goggles tinky and severely limiting of visibility, and I preferred sunglasses in any conditions I could get away with wearing them in. Now, I'm earing goggles 100% of the time on the hill.

I've been a long time proponent of Electric EG2 and then EG3 goggles giving the best field of view as well as comfort, but I've become a bit frustrated with the build quality and how long the lenses seem to last. Anon M2 seem to win the ease of interchangeable lens battle, but the frame is a bit smaller on them in comparison to Electric and it impacts field of view. Smith I/O is another one whose frame I find smallish and field of view limited. I thought Dragon X2 would be the answer, but I borrowed a friends' pair and wow does the nose-piece area take up some space inside (and I have the same reservations about build quality).

Oakley Airbrake XLs are something I've been considering but they're always a lot more expensive than the other options, so I've been a bit hesitant to pull the trigger. DOes anyone have any recommendations/advice? Are there any other options out there I should be considering? Some I'm aware of but never seen are Von Zipper Jetpack, Giro Onset, Spy Doom.

I bought the Oakley Airbrake XL two weeks ago , and couldn't be happier . If you look at the blurb, they block specific frequencies of light , so most of the lenses are a rose colour, which is ideal for flat light .
I think they are more expensive because they always come with two lenses: a reflective lens for sun and a clear rose lens for flat light. I have a pair of Bolle rose lensed goggles, and the Oakleys are slightly better in flat light.
Even the reflective lens is pretty good in flat light/fog/snow.
And the lens change system is a breeze.

Reactions: azzski

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
I loved the Spy Doom goggles when I first bought them, but I didn't even get a season out of them due to delamination of both lenses, despite my best care. Replacement lenses cost as much as a new pair which was just silly. I then bought the less attractive but very functional and hard-wearing Dragon NFXs. They lasted numerous seasons both here and overseas. Last year for the Aussie season I bought Dragon X2's and a pair of Scott Linx to try out. Again the Dragon are superior and they fit big noggins no sweat.

azzski

Should know better
Ski Pass
Aug 6, 1999
St Kilda, Australia
I'm less concerned with the superiority of the optics over build quality. Never had a lens delam on me thankfully, but lens fogging - when I take good care of them - is more what I'm concerned about. Electric lenses just don't seem to last that long before I'm in front of a fire, trying to dry them out to have any hope of seeing out of them on a cold day.

I have to say, compared to the Electric, the Dragon X2 straight-on visibility was poor. The nose area seemed to have a lot of bulky passing inside the lens that restricted vision.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
I'm less concerned with the superiority of the optics over build quality. Never had a lens delam on me thankfully, but lens fogging - when I take good care of them - is more what I'm concerned about. Electric lenses just don't seem to last that long before I'm in front of a fire, trying to dry them out to have any hope of seeing out of them on a cold day.

I have to say, compared to the Electric, the Dragon X2 straight-on visibility was poor. The nose area seemed to have a lot of bulky passing inside the lens that restricted vision.
Personally, I think that half the issues with lens fogging has to do with the volume inside the goggles. Larger the volume, the more dispersed the moisture will be.
Also, I think that spherical goggles tend to have more volume than cylindrical goggles.

azzski

Should know better
Ski Pass
Aug 6, 1999
St Kilda, Australia
Personally, I think that half the issues with lens fogging has to do with the volume inside the goggles. Larger the volume, the more dispersed the moisture will be.
Also, I think that spherical goggles tend to have more volume than cylindrical goggles.
Sorry, I should be clearer - I'm talking fogging between the lenses.

hatto

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2006
If fogging between lenses than you have a break in the seal or they are too hot when you first get into the cold or the foam is wet and has not dried completely. Sometimes if you have had the goggles close to heat and then walk out in cold condensation is going to happen. I had 1 pair condensate between lenses and I just left in normal room temp for a week to let it completely dry slowly. never had issue again.
Anon M2 i have been using now since they came out and never had any issues. Lens changes are quick, I always carry both lenses and change as required but I always dry both lenses every night even if I have only used 1 lens that day.
I never touch the inside of my lens when damp in any way. Swap out and then fix that night when they can dry slowly.

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
I've had every goggle known to man- even some Smiths with a little built in fan
Had the Oakley Airbrakes for 2 seasons
Unbelievably good and I'm not sure why
They don't look a lot different to other goggles but by God they are superior
They have a sidearm that locks and unlocks the lens for easy changes too
Brilliant bit of kit
have gone into the Hall of Fame next to my Salomon carbon fibre poles and old K2 Apaches

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
I've had every goggle known to man- even some Smiths with a little built in fan
Had the Oakley Airbrakes for 2 seasons
Unbelievably good and I'm not sure why
They don't look a lot different to other goggles but by God they are superior
They have a sidearm that locks and unlocks the lens for easy changes too
Brilliant bit of kit
have gone into the Hall of Fame next to my Salomon carbon fibre poles and old K2 Apaches

Superior from the optical , build, or other POV?

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Spherical ? please explain ,, are they shaped as a sphere ( pedant warning )
Yes, Not only curved east west (Normal Goggles) but also curved north south

https://www.surfdome.com/lifestyle_blog/snow-goggles-spherical-vs-cylindrical-lenses/
so they are not spherical ,, just as the cylindrical are not cylindrical ( sorry i warned you )

It's terminology used to distinguish curves in the goggle lens surface in a simple way that people can understand.
The term "spherical " in lens terminology (cameras and telescopes) is used all the time to describe the surface shape .

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
So as the owner of a large head, large framed spherical goggles have been a boon for me. Before I tried them, I always found goggles tinky and severely limiting of visibility, and I preferred sunglasses in any conditions I could get away with wearing them in. Now, I'm wearing goggles 100% of the time on the hill.

Oakley Airbrake XLs are something I've been considering but they're always a lot more expensive than the other options, so I've been a bit hesitant to pull the trigger. Does anyone have any recommendations/advice? Are there any other options out there I should be considering? Some I'm aware of but never seen are Von Zipper Jetpack, Giro Onset, Spy Doom.
The Anon M2s are actually cylindrical, azz.

hatto

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2006
so they are not spherical ,, just as the cylindrical are not cylindrical ( sorry i warned you )
The way I see it - Sphere is a round shape so if you take a part of that the part would curve on both axis X,Y,Z
Cylinder is a tube and if you take a part of it the part will curve on 1 axis only. X,Y
You asked for explanation of spherical in a discussion on goggles, thats what I linked

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Jan 17, 2014
Coastal suburban boonies.
fon68802cl.jpg

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org

If you want build quality have a look at the race goggles made by people such as POC, Uvex or Shred.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
All this stuff about "mimicking the human eye" is spin IMO. That includes spherical and Toric.

The human eye moves. The moment it shifts left or right, there's no mimicking the shape anymore, because it's no longer aligned.

Budgiesmuggler

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2010
I’ve had zeal optics goggles for 10 years and have not had any issues with them. Their Transition lenses work in all conditions

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
What's with those helmets that come with a visor? Anyone used them or have an opinion?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass