1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

SpinWatch (Spring special edition)

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by foxhound, Oct 30, 2009.

1. foxhound

foxhound First Runs

strip of bitumen awarded 'iconic' status.

media release

Congratulations to the Bogong High Plains Road on achieving the 'iconic' status previously awarded by Falls Creek to:

- the Summit Chairlift
    - the International Poma
    - Aussie pro skateboarder Corbin Harris

#1 foxhound, Oct 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013
  2. BrumbyJack

BrumbyJack First Runs

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

#2 BrumbyJack, Oct 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  3. Ian D

Ian D Pool Room Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Careful foxhound - you will be given iconic status shortly [​IMG]

#3 Ian D, Oct 30, 2009
  4. trappers

trappers Safety not guaranteed Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

#4 trappers, Oct 30, 2009
  5. main street

main street Sun Peaks Resident

You're an evil man Ian D. [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

#5 main street, Nov 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  6. Ian D

[​IMG]

I try

#6 Ian D, Nov 9, 2009
  7. foxhound

foxhound First Runs

I suppose I should feel honoured to join this elite group.
    [​IMG]

#7 foxhound, Nov 9, 2009
  8. Ian D

Only fitting for such an iconic forum contributor!

9. somebody else

somebody else Hard Yards

All very well to give the road iconic status, but it has a few, potentially expensive 'teething problems'

The road is too soft. I rode it on a road bike cup weekend, I kept thinking I had a puncture such was the feeling of sinking into a sealed road. It seems like they opened it before completing the final layers. Let's hope they can fix the road up, otherwise it won't last very long.

Great ride apart from that.

10. hair-raiser

hair-raiser Hard Yards

Packer's purchase of ski resorts not now seen as "smart". Staff changes here and there, and look for "For Sale" notices soon.

11. Yardsale

Yardsale Part of the Furniture Moderator

He really didn't have a choice but to buy it.

It was either grab that LLA assets and hope they weathered the GFC storm, or sell the resorts and aquariums and realise whatever the market wanted to pay for them. Anyway, the annual report is http://www.livingandleisure.com.au/uploads/pdfs/Annual%20Report%202009.pdf - the interesting stuff (for us) is hanging
    out around page 57.

#11 Yardsale, Nov 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  12. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Well Village Roadshow (who run aquariums and most of the Gold Coast theme parks as well as the nation's biggest cinema chain) was definitely interested in buying MFS LLA. But they lost interest when they saw the price Jamie was willing to pay.

13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

Wouldn't the ACCC have something to say about that? Packer's got his finger on PB (how many Ha) and if he gets his hand on FC/Hotham it would make him the largest single holder of ski resorts in Oz. It may be good for some but for the other sub-lease holders they will get ///////>ed.

14. Bogong

Scott, each Victorian ski resort is run by their own Resort Management Board (RMB), which acts a bit like a local council.

So the lift company only runs the lifts, a small percentage of the hotels and a few dodgy lodges for staff accommodation. Of course the lift companies have representation on the RMB, but in no way do they 'run' the resort the way lift companies do in NSW.

Thus a lift company's ability to bully the owners of other businesses is very limited and they have no control over things like bed taxes, etc.

15. The Plowking

The Plowking Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Ahh great. Noisy bikes and cars doing a high country loop and spoiling the nice, quiet upper Mitta Valley and my tranquil fishing trips...

#15 The Plowking, Nov 29, 2009
  16. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

there were always a lot of bikes going as far in the Mitta Valley as the Duck anyway. but there are heaps of motorbikes coming through Mt Beauty now. Everyone is remarking on it, but I haven't heard any complaints so far.

#16 currawong, Nov 29, 2009
  17. hair-raiser

hair-raiser Hard Yards

Completely unlike local councils, Bogong. Local councillors are elected by those they tax. RMBs are "unrepresentative swill" as Paul Keating once called the Senate. RMBs are worse, there's not even any pretence of an election for these people. They are a mix of "UncleToms", legal types with ALP connections and lawyers. They certainly don't represent any paying consumers, ratepayers or the taxed.

18. Bogong

I know hair-raiser, but I was just trying to give someone from north of the border a quick explanation of the differences between the way our resorts are run by RMB's as opposed to the way NSW resorts are run with the "head leases" and "sub-leases" he mentioned (which are an alien concept down here).

I deliberately left out the semantics of RMB's so I could be brief and easily understood. But I do agree with the points you make about most positions on RMB's being very (party) political appointments and not representing the people that live and work at the resorts.

19. foxhound

foxhound First Runs

hair-raiser - I couldn't agree more with your sentiments, save for the fact that the so-called 'unrepresentative swill' of the Australian Senate is actually elected and therefore considerably less unrepresentative than any of the Victorian alpine resort management boards. Don't even start me on that least necessary of institutions, the Alpine Resorts Coordinating Council.

20. keepitreal

keepitreal First Runs

Go ahead Foxhound tell us about ARCC!

I thought that seeing ARCC is funded by DSE that it would have a very dimplomatic hiring process?

Or are you more hinting towards what their role in the overall management of Vic Al;ine Resorts?

21. foxhound

foxhound First Runs

#21 foxhound, Dec 2, 2009
  22. foxhound

foxhound First Runs

bike ride awarded 'iconic' event status.

media release 27/10/09.
    Bonus points for the ‘picture-postcard alpine resort’ description in the same sentence.

Congratulations to the Great Victorian Bike Ride on achieving the 'iconic' status previously awarded by Falls Creek to:

- the Summit Chairlift
    - the International Poma
    - Aussie pro skateboarder Corbin Harris
    - Bogong High Plains Road

[This would have been categorised under Summer SpinWatch but for the fact that the media release was in Spring]

#22 foxhound, Dec 2, 2009
  23. keepitreal

keepitreal First Runs

Hey Foxhound, Thanks for sending a link to that report. I had a read and I think that the SSA report is pretty good!

I think that the current ARCC set up is really stupid, and as per the SSA Report its crazy having a ARCC board made up of Resort Management board members, and therefore having the regulatory body made up of members that run the Resorts, and therefore checking up on themselves!!

I think the function of the ARCC is still relevant however, as there needs to be a watchdog making sure there is consistency and coopertaion between the resorts, however if the ARCC was within DSE then it would mean that it would no longer be a stand alone comodity with a board and board members with their fingers in the pie!

24. Bogong

Re: SpinWatch (Summer special edition)

The ARCC was only set up a few years ago, at the time it felt like a return to the olden days under the Alpine Resorts Commission before the resorts were 'granted independence'. It seems mad that the government went to the expense of creating a whole new level of bureaucracy only to abolish it after a few years.

I'm not keen on giving the powers of the ARCC to DSE. It would have been okay when DSE (under it's various names) was run by foresters, but there are an awful lot of greenies crawling around there these days. A worst case scenario would be the insane restrictions placed on ski resorts in Tasmania and, (to a lesser extent), NSW.