1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

SpinWatch

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by foxhound, Jul 28, 2009.

1. foxhound

foxhound First Runs

Last Hoot, Fast Hoot, Milky Way and Wombat’s Ramble are now apparently the ‘main ski runs of Falls Creek’.

There is so much bewildering spin being generated, I’m starting to feel a bit like Linda Blair.

#1 foxhound, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013
  2. FCLODGE1

FCLODGE1 Hard Yards

Re: SpinWatch: main ski runs

ah yes, it's called Marketing and the lift co and the resort are very busy spinning everywhere for the event on Thurs.. the exposure has them spinning so fast I am sure a few of them will spin out all together, wait till you see the additional stuff that will be posted on the home page in the coming days... It should be absolutley full of spin!

3. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

What about the iconic international poma? [​IMG]

#3 CarveMan, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  4. FCLODGE1

FCLODGE1 Hard Yards

yep its now spinning too

5. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I can't wait until they post about their 'signature steep ruined castle cornice' or something like that [​IMG]

#5 CarveMan, Jul 28, 2009
  6. foxhound

foxhound First Runs

I was slightly reassured by the iconic designation for the International Poma, I just hope it puts to rest the occasional mountain rumours of its impending demise.

The Summit Chair Lift is also <a href="http://www.ski.com.au/cgi-bin/admin/news/vnews.pl?ad=-101807-&year=2009" target="_blank">iconic</a>, so it must be safe from removal too, or maybe there is just a glitch with the thesaurus function in the Hyperbole Generator.

Does anybody know how the Gully Chair Lift or Mousetrap can achieve 'iconic' status?
    Update: issue resolved

#6 foxhound, Jul 28, 2009
  7. foxhound

foxhound First Runs

Who are these MTV travelling minstrels and record-players anyway?

8. SNOW-STUFF

SNOW-STUFF Hard Yards

They are all dudes and dudettes... snowboarding stuff plus the latest in doof-doof music, throw in a couple of celebs that kinda have something to do with the lot, cash by MTV and you have one hell of a Jam!

#8 SNOW-STUFF, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  9. main street

main street Sun Peaks Resident

Oh dear.

Someone's bullshart filter at FC has failed.

#9 main street, Jul 28, 2009
  10. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I can tell you where I won't be on Thursday night...

our mate that you met at SIC will be working there that night though, poor b@stard

11. main street

main street Sun Peaks Resident

Oh god,..... So he drew the short straw huh ?

12. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

not really, as such. one of his jobs is linked to events rather than shifts, so it goes with the territory.

another friend however has been told that he'll be required till 10pm instead of a normal 5-6pm knock-off

13. hair-raiser

hair-raiser Hard Yards

Did the Lift Co. release this today?

"Leveraging off high cash levels, a strong team, buoyant market conditions and the best snow conditions for years, provides new opportunities for strong short to medium term growth in our business going forward. Few of the company's stress test limits had been exceeded despite the volatility of the last year

We expect to continue to build on the strength, diversification and global reach of our businesses. Ongoing organic growth initiatives and incremental acquisitions remain underpinned by effective total risk management. The business will continue to remain focused on attracting high net worth customers."

Probably not.

14. foxhound

foxhound First Runs

That makes it a bit clearer, although I was wrong to describe them as 'record-players' and understand that they are better described as 'turntablists'. It seems that turntablism is also a form of spin, albeit clearly of a different variety.

Other commitments will preclude me from attending this event in order to savour the various 'disco post-punk electric vibes,' but I am heartened to learn from the publicity material that one is able to achieve 'iconic' status in ways other than being a Falls Creek ski lift.

#14 foxhound, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
  15. DeesOnSkis

DeesOnSkis One of Us

[​IMG]

#15 DeesOnSkis, Jul 30, 2009
  16. DeesOnSkis

DeesOnSkis One of Us

"Lake Superior State University's 34th annual List of Words to Be Banished from the Queen's English for Misuse, Overuse and General Uselessness sifted through 5,000 nominations to arrive at the 15 sayings they would most like to stop hearing.

'Icon' or 'iconic' – and its use in relation to the most mundane of subjects – was one of the most nominated terms..."

Why 2009 is no time to be iconic, The Independent, 2 Jan. 2009
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/why-2009-is-no-time-to-be-iconic-1221100.html

#16 DeesOnSkis, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  17. foxhound

foxhound First Runs

Glorious excerpts from the referenced article:

If only Jodi had experienced Falls Creek, then perhaps she might have opined: “It’s overused to the point where everything from ski lifts to a pro skateboarder is ‘iconic’.â€

#17 foxhound, Jul 31, 2009
  18. foxhound

foxhound First Runs

Unreasonable critics of snowboarding sometimes insinuate that its practitioners are in some ways perhaps slightly less civilised than various other folk who enjoy snowsports. Surely it is therefore more than just a little bit unfair to attribute to a professional snowboarder various verbal distortions such as: “ … probly why…â€, “…crowd pleaswer …†and “…realy cool…â€? media release

Maybe these are simply ‘lost in translation’ issues with the victorious [Francophone] Canadian snowboarder or possibly it’s just been another splendid day on the hill at Falls Creek and both the spellchecker and the designated proof-reader were otherwise engaged.

#18 foxhound, Jul 31, 2009
  19. Richard

Richard Maintenance Dept Administrator

hmmm

just cant get good proof readers these days.

#19 Richard, Aug 1, 2009
  20. foxhound

foxhound First Runs

They have since proof-read and fixed their most recent problems.

I feel certain that I must ultimately be paying for the production of this material in one way or another; either to the public servants working for resort management (revenue from site rentals, car parking etc) or the lift company (ski lift passes).

The pity is that they actually have a great product to market, but perhaps quality (fewer clichés etc) rather than quantity, might be more effective.

21. foxhound

foxhound First Runs

This is a marvellous attempt at visual spin for the 2009 Opening Weekend, involving Gavin Jennings, Minister for Environment (responsible for the administration of Victorian alpine resorts and appointing people to the alpine resort management boards).

Minister, if you pose with this set of skis in this taxpayer-funded jacket it might give the impression that you enjoy snowsports...

[​IMG]

... but exactly how do these boots fit the bindings?

[​IMG]

#21 foxhound, Aug 24, 2009
  22. foxhound

foxhound First Runs

Demonstrating that other resorts can also produce some entertaining spin, we have this contribution from Perisher:

620,000 cubic meters of man made snow

Just imagine thousands of little cubes with dials on them (the meters) made from snow, diligently crafted solely by folk who have some Y-chromosomes.

Perisher's problem in this case is that 'meter' and 'metre' will both survive spell-checking applications, albeit ignoring the context. Less concerning is that there may be a style-guide gathering dust somewhere at Perisher with a few ideas on gender-neutral terminology, although some possible alternative descriptions such as 'artificial snow' are probably best avoided.

Perisher also managed to deploy that word:
    'Iconic' status has been awarded to a wide variety of things; two Falls Creek ski lifts (Summit Chair, International Poma), a pro skateboarder and now some Perisher ski areas. Maybe it is a contagion spread by the merger of the ski lift companies or perhaps there is some 'channelling' between their respective spin-meisters.

#22 foxhound, Sep 10, 2009
  23. foxhound

foxhound First Runs

Media Release

Clearly there is a need to search for those missing 'p's (in 'superbly') and 'q's (in 'picturesque'). Maybe the Hyperbole Generator lacks a spell-check function.

#23 foxhound, Sep 30, 2009
  24. hair-raiser

hair-raiser Hard Yards

For the genesis of Falls' hype, blame one Ian Talbot, once of
    Powderhound" and now the Lift Co's chief spinmeister.
    And never forget, all the top management inc CEO, CFO etc etc, who obligingly ran the place for MFS, are still running it.

25. foxhound

foxhound First Runs

Ulmerhutte's observation last week that Falls Creek appeared to be recycling a pre-2007 photograph of skiing on Ruined Castle was truly glorious.

I'm just hoping that the resort can get through the next couple of days, until the end of the 2009 Winter Season, without another iconic media mistake.

#25 foxhound, Oct 2, 2009
  26. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

It is such fun to make fun of them, I even did a mock Falls Creek style press release full of hyperbole in the never again ski Charlotte thread, being careful to include "iconic" at least once in every sentence.

But all press releases have a degree of spin, it's just a matter of how subtle, how intelligent or even how witty it is if we let them get away with it. But now we have Falls Creek under such close observation, they won't be able to take a trick. Even if they put out the best written press release in the world, we would be waiting to tear strips off it.

But I guess they brought it upon themselves with hyperbole that was utterly over the top...

#26 Bogong, Oct 2, 2009
  27. foxhound

foxhound First Runs

My hopes have already been dashed.

Perhaps one too many 'forecasts' in the above sentence, the second 'forecast' has been inappropriately capitalised and the sentence itself appears to be in a dialect other than English. This provides an excellent demonstration of just how easy it is to make mistakes if you simply rely upon 'cut-and-paste' when preparing media releases.

Update: the media release has now been edited.

#27 foxhound, Oct 2, 2009
  28. Ian D

Ian D Pool Room Staff Member Administrator Moderator

But iconic wasn't used once in it!

29. Richard

I'm happy to correct your typo and gramatical observations Foxhound, and whilst I share your lament for the absense of superior articles on this site - the economics of producing it unfortunately do not map up - this is the struggle news businesses are grappling with all over the world as they move to the web..

Here is the business case (on our site).

Firstly - we are not writers - if we were our approach would be different.

An average press release which takes me 2 min to 5 min to cut and paste generates approx $2 in ad revenue over two years - 90% in the first 7 days.

A really well written article will generate maybe $80 over two years but costs $200-300 to commission.

The real value in press releases is the long tail effect it has on SEO - to that extent I manipulate the headlines where appropriate to accommodate three objectives in order;

1. Concise and scanable - fit better on home page. http://www.useit.com/alertbox/headlines-bbc.html
    2. Stuff with useful keywords/key phrase if possible
    3. Not upset the hand that feeds me (lowest priority)

Do a quick Google for 'man made snow' (which from my point of view was a better long term bet than artificial snow)

Whilst your disdain for the volume of Falls Creek articles is understandable - I love it. Search phrases involving Falls Creek drive more traffic from Google by a factor of 2:1 over the nearest major resort keyword.

#29 Richard, Oct 2, 2009
  30. foxhound

foxhound First Runs

I actually think that Falls Creek has an excellent alpine resort experience to market, with some innovative ideas introduced in 2009 such as 'Singles Week' and 'Boomers on Groomers.' I understand the demands of deadlines, but the problem with too much 'spin' is the risk to credibility, with potential negative consequences for the product. It is also a fairly high-risk strategy if there are any misrepresentations. A little bit more care in the preparation of media releases is surely not too much to ask?

PS: there are two 'm's in 'grammatical'. [​IMG]

#30 foxhound, Oct 2, 2009
  31. Richard

sure, have your opinion

But it's not mine to decide if there is too much spin - that's the resorts decision.

I just post the press releases to serve my objectives and the more the merrier for me. Plus Ski is not a news focused organisation and I am not an editor - if a press item has typos etc - that's the problem of the publicist who is paid to push out 'cut & paste ready' articles.

I'd also argue the risk you fear is extremely low - that those who are over-exposed and swing negative in inclination to the product are very, very small and consist of some forum regulars and Falls Creek stakeholders whom by nature are close to the media initiatives and thus sick of them (as I am sick of looking at this web site everyday*).

An extremely large majority of the 1,300,000+ annual unique visitors to this site are occassional visitors of less than four times a year. At worst they are exposed to a Falls Creek headline four times - by contrast they probably never see a Thredbo headline. The Falls Creek publicist is thus doing his job*.

*http://www.useit.com/alertbox/familiar-design.html

#31 Richard, Oct 2, 2009
  32. foxhound

foxhound First Runs

I never considered that it was ski.com.au's role to judge if there was too much 'spin' and I have always regarded it as a resort marketing issue. To use the vernacular, I think they are sometimes simply 'over-egging the omelette.'

The hit-rate statistics cited were interesting and I expect that what really matters (but which I doubt would be available) is the 'conversion rate' from marketing to actual sales. There are applications available that can drive marketing, plus provide the tracking and conversion data, but it might require a slightly different strategy.

That is also a very interesting link to http://www.useit.com - plenty of reading material there for a snow-deprived day.

#32 foxhound, Oct 2, 2009
  33. foxhound

foxhound First Runs

resort media release
    [​IMG]

#33 foxhound, Oct 3, 2009