1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Splitboards

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Toddo, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Toddo

Toddo One of Us

ahh crap, maybe i need some pins too then?? or do you get a set with the bindings?

2. Belly

Belly A Local Ski Pass: Gold

a set of pins come with the bindings, no worries there

3. Toddo

Toddo One of Us

good good. i thought they should!

4. Rensburg

Rensburg First Runs

can you use a burton board with the 3d binding mounts? is this what the voile burton kit is for?

ive got an old 156 burton twin tip im thinking of splitting but it'd probably be pretty crap in the soft stuff; ive got an older (12yo?) quiksilver pistol packin momma 156 as well, the rails have probably rusted right off. I'd feel like a right tosser if i forked out for a new one after watching the rest of you knife decks in half.

For what its worth i reckon you could use some epoxy and carbon fibre tape on the inside edges and roll it onto the deck to make an 'L' section along the rail, giving back some of the stiffness. you could also clamp the two halves together with some baking paper in between while the epoxy dries to get a perfect join.

5. ians 158

ians 158 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

To split an old board you need the split decision kit.
    kit
    You can use a Burton board but,from what i have read you either have to have a special saw blade to cut the centre insert or drill them out first.
    With the new Sparks binding set up sparks
    you can buy some of the kit from Voile and then add the Sparks.
    I bought mine factory split,steel edges all the way around each half,rides really nice.

#205 ians 158, Aug 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  6. Belly

Don't think the Voile pucks come with a 3 screw interface though

7. Rensburg

Rensburg First Runs

Not sure Belly, i assume that voile makes a wider spaced 4 screw attachment that would suit the single 4 screw pattern remaining after you rip the centre screws out.
    [​IMG]

Thanks Ians 158 for the links,buying new and having full solid steel edges is pretty appealing. has anyone got the sparks bindings? they look great. it looks like you buy the binding remove the base plate and then reattach the sparks baseplate - correct?

Board wise i'm a bit of a burton devotee (the catalogue gets me every year) and the current s series looks pretty good based on the supermodel specs, has anyone ridden a few different factory models and found a board head and shoulders above the rest?

Maybe a bit of a review might be forthcoming after the splitters trip?

#207 Rensburg, Aug 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  8. Toddo

Toddo One of Us

my spark bindings arrived yesterday...

they look very tasty. Very tight fit on the pucks though, am in the process of anding the pucks so they slide on easier.

9. Belly

My 1 day out thus far was a bit trying because of that. When going to ride mode, I needed board perfectly aligned for one binding in particular to go on, so it was doubly important to remove snow and ice. Did 3 transitions that day and was running smoothly by the end.

The tight fit does ensure good torsional rigidity.

My pucks were naturally quite worn so didn't worry about sanding.

Reckon you like them now, wait til you ride them [​IMG]

#209 Belly, Aug 13, 2008
  10. suz

suz First Runs

I hope they're not too tight. I have enough trouble sometimes with the fit with regular voile set up if you have ice on the edge of the board. Pretty hard sometimes when there is a lot of snow or bad weather out there. My new Sparks should be here any day now. Can't wait - the board's been out at least 10 times so far this year - done some great touring so should be even better with the new bindings.

11. Caboose

Caboose First Runs

tested my puppy last week

it rode like a dog, but i new as soon as i strapped in i was way too far back on the board

i know my cut was 100%, i have now moved my front pucks heaps forward and back pucks forward, Although not much room due to touring brackets

skinning was a piece of cake

will test again this week

top of my board is looking like swiss cheese [​IMG]

#211 Caboose, Aug 19, 2008
  12. tom11

tom11 First Runs

Picked one up on friday for $170 skins and all.

Put my burton Cartels on them and set off friday late afternoon after work, (i work on the mountain/Ben Lomend Tassie)

A few quick pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And i loved it, just being the only one out there i had a ball.

The board rode different on the way back down, just need to adjust my stance abit and spend more time on it. Only took 5min ish to change over.

Was looking at getting some flow bindings to put on it?? Any other recommendations??

#212 tom11, Aug 26, 2008
  13. ians 158

ians 158 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

[​IMG] What a bargain.
    Re bindings,Caboose uses Flows so he could give an opinion on those.I got some 2nd hand Burton c60 to put on mine but when i mounted them up i felt that the plastic base plate had too much flex,so i mounted my Ride CAD(aluminium base plate(sp?))on the board and the setup is very responsive.

I set the stance width to what i would have on my solids but ended up going a touch wider,testing if this would give me more stability with a day pack on while riding.It worked a treat.Enjoy. [​IMG]

#213 ians 158, Aug 26, 2008
  14. Caboose

Caboose First Runs

it is confirmed!!

my neversummer split rides like a dog ..... :sad: [​IMG]

i think it is too heavy

back to the drawing board - thinking about splitting my elan inverse as it is a lot lighter

don't talk to me about flows at the moment - lost a screw skinning to LBC last monday and had to do a repair on the fly (had spare screws) although nearly lost them all due to wind [​IMG]

flows take a while to get the setup right for riding, during skinning i found the high back forward lean bad for skinning - so rode with the high back down

then riding down i didn't have the setup correct, so was very loose ride

will probably look at the sparks next season and try my ratchets on my split soon ..... back to slow shoeing for a bit [​IMG]

#214 Caboose, Sep 1, 2008
  15. Belly

Another random splitboard thought, my Mr Chomps crampons have done some chomping of my top skin during a tricky traverse (only a 3/10 on the damage scale), may want to be mindful of this

16. Toddo

Toddo One of Us

i still haven;t ridden mine! been too lazy and having too much fun riding parks! hopefully there is some good snow left on the range after the lifts close and it will get a workout!

17. Gbanger

Gbanger First Runs

i just cut a burton no worries, just have a carbide blade and it'll chew through it.
    cheers

18. Gbanger

Gbanger First Runs

I've ridden flows on a few split baords and they have pros and cons.
    Pro: when cruising on mellow terrain you can leave the heel lock down and it's super comfy then when you get to riding it cranks down hard or if you have traverses and need more torsional stiffness sam deal.
    Con: the main drawback is weight, i've got the NXT FX, (do not get the team binding!!! it wil break in a week and costs more) and they are light for flows. In Tahoe where i have been for a couple of years it's great but in AUS where you'll often have a boot on dirt to get to the snowline ie bogong etc it makes carrying a little harder. Same goes for when you switch to ctrampons/boots when it gets too steep or icy to skin.
    Also if you're not familiar with them they can be [auto-censor] to repair, check out the bindings and carry spare parts. I've had to bang a nail through the highback hinge to get me down but i was lucky that one was handy. A cam strap is handy to strap the highback to you boot in a pinch.
    Talk to those whove ridden them for a while and identify the weak points and prepare for them.
    Hope this helps,
    Cheers G

It comes down to what you plan on riding..for most of oz any binding is sweet, if you're planning on steeper terrain with consequences at boots and mtn plates are good but i find them slower in transition from edge to edge which freaks me out in steep chutes.

19. Toddo

Toddo One of Us

i'm going out onto the main range this weekend finally to test the thing out.. will report back monday... hope there is enough snow for me to even have to skin out there! haha

20. Toddo

Toddo One of Us

had a test of my home made GNU riders choice board with Spark R&D binders and was pleasantly impressed. Rides a little different to my normal boards, but i put that down to it being a little wider (4mm than my next widest)and the snow being really dirty and sticky making riding a bit hard.

going from ride mode to split mode and vice versa is way faster than i thought. I actually think i can do it faster than what it takes to take off board and put in pack, unstrap shoes from pack and put them on.

For my first time skinning i thought it was very easy. the sticky snow probly helped in this regard, but it seemed a lot more effortless and way faster than hiking.

Conclusions:
    - I think my snowshoes have been retired for use in australia.
    - I am thinking about splitting my Pow board for an up coming trip to Hakuba. I only ever use this board a few days per year overseas ... mostly resort but some BC too ... just wondering if it will be too weird riding a split inbounds on pow days!