Trip Report Spring Frenzy - More Bogong and Feathertop

Discussion in 'Backcountry Trip Reports' started by Team Weasel, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Team Weasel

Team Weasel Addicted

Over the past couple of weeks I managed to get up Bogong twice and Feathertop once. All in all, it was a great week or so in the Vic Alps.

It's close and everyone skis there, but Cairn Gully was in great condition. Happily spent a day or so here over the course of my visits, skiing whatever I could.

Audax was also very good - when you caught it between the morning and evening freeze. Interesting to see three different bootpacks up the same terrain!

The highlight was my first trip out to West Peak in winter. On the way out, I tried out a couple of northern-facing gullies, but quickly realised all the sweet looking lines from the drive up to Eskdale had become too patchy.

Between West Peak and Quartz Ridge, there was some awesome terrain to be had.

On one day in particular I pushed it well and truly too hard, and ended up dragging my arse back towards Michell hut late in the day. Luckily, I came across @kirktab, who was camped off the summit. I gratefully accepted a bite to eat and a good chat, and then made it back to my tent as it got dark.

Another highlight was this sweet run into Eskdale gully from Audax side - snow all the way down the creek!

Overall, Bogong is looking good for some time to come. I'd say there won't be anymore skinning up from the hut anymore, and the snow is patchy in places. Otherwise, plenty of good skiing still to be had.

On the 4th of October, I popped up to Feathertop for a couple more days whilst the snow was good.

I spent a day each in Avalanche and Hellfire gullies - again, some amazing skiing to be had. I'll let the pictures do the talking.

I was very happy to get up there, ski some cool lines and be down before a crowd of others descended upon the mountain.

Conditions are getting patchy though - more than a few moments of whizzing by something, only to realise it was a concealed rock ready to attack the core of my skis. I'll be putting away the big boy skis and getting on the skimo gear from now on.

I'm looking forward to the remaining season - no more resort skiers in the towns, long warm days, uber light gear and lycra. See y'all up there!

2. mr

mr Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

Some of that south facing terrain between west peak and quartz you can see on the falls' rd lookout and it looks super knarly

chokenchickin and Chaeron like this.
  3. Team Weasel

Team Weasel Addicted

Can confirm that is indeed true. Felt as steep as Avalanche/Hellfire, and there was plenty I didn't get to ski. Just when I thought Feathertop was my favorite, Bogong goes and shows yet another classy area.

The Plowking and mr like this.
  4. mr

mr Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

I dont think that area got picked up on the MSC bogong map if you bought that recently......ill check tonight.

Beyond my skill level anyway so ill just ooo and aah at it..... :)