1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Spring pass....will we still have snow?

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by soza, Aug 28, 2013.

1. soza

soza One of Us

Thinking of getting the spring pass when we go up again on Sunday. By the look of my work roster I should be able to get up 4 or 5 times before the last week of September. Could also have an extra 3 days/nights up there last week of Sept for the kids school break, So it could prove cost effective. What I`m worried about is lack of snow, could we loose the 140cm base in that time?
    Talking to a local instructor yesterday and she said it will still be skiable into October even if we don't get another drop of snow all winter. She said to check out how high up the fence it is piled at the top of wombats...must be 3M as you can only just see the barrier.
    Yesterday although still great conditions I got to see how much damage the rain had done down low since I was last up on Thursday. Can whats left survive 4 weeks of rain and high temps?

2. ocker

ocker Hard Yards

Look at this graph. http://www.alpenhorn.com.au/index.php/weather-winter
    in 14 years there has never been a year with this much snow at the end of August where there has not been at least 70-100 cm by the end of September. 2008 is the worst of those years but it still gives me confidence that the chances are very high to be skiable to the beginning of October.

#2 ocker, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  3. soza

soza One of Us

thanks for the link ocker.

Bit the bullet and picked up the spring pass, used it twice already and although its been stinking hot up top still plenty of terrain open. Going to book and have a family break the last 3 days of Sept, be happy even if its just wombats, drovers n main street still going. Also plan on heading to Hotham next weekend seen as the pass covers both resorts.

Hero pass for me next year!!

4. Tropical

Tropical One of Us

I hope you are right about the last 3 days of September soza. I am in Melbourne for work the last week of September. My boss offered to fly me back on the Monday after the AFL GF weekend. I have taken that offer but still haven't booked anything due to the snow conditions. Hopefully FC still has something to ski on the 28th and 29th ...... increasingly it is looking like Buller will be closed and potentially so will Hotham ....

5. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I was surprised at the snow quality today. Still pretty dry and no huge mounds of corn at the bottom of Hway83 and Main St. Some patches have washed out but nothing to cramp my limited style. The groomers have been pretty active with their 'snow farming'.

6. wannaski

wannaski One of Us

good to hear ziggy - can't wait to get up there!

7. nisstrust

nisstrust One of Us

i think falls is the only place left in vic that has decent cover.