Spring Skiing on Bogong

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by FloatOnSnow, Oct 8, 2018.

1. FloatOnSnow

FloatOnSnow Hard Yards

Hi Peeps,

anyone been up to Bogong via camp creek and the Eskdale spur in the last week or two? What's the condition of the Esksdale? No trees down over the road to camp creek? I'm hoping to get up there for a few days gully skiing early next week- do you reckon there'll still be plenty of snow about? Looked good from the Fainters 2 weeks ago but I realise we've had some warm temperatures recently
    Ta!

2. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Ski Pass - Gold

Check the Trip Reports.

3. FloatOnSnow

FloatOnSnow Hard Yards

Thanks-I did before I posed the question but I didn't see anything really recent apart from back in Jul-August.

skifree likes this.
  4. mr

mr Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

I havent been this year but i reckon all north will be gone (so its mostly a hike up to summit from camp ck) and south will be still thick.

spion kopje south sides look like this today......bogong south sides will look the same, but go higher

https://skifalls.panomax.com/drovers

@Team Weasel's report was last week i think. i skiied hotham south sides week before last and they went all the way to the bottom

Any trees down will follow large wind / rain events of which we have had precisely none.

FloatOnSnow and Bogong like this.
  5. chokenchickin

chokenchickin One of Us

Was up there today, great skiing on South facing slopes, road all good.

6. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Road from Hollow Way to Granite Flat road and from there to Camp Creek Gap also in good nick.

Ubiquitous Steve and FloatOnSnow like this.
  7. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

The guys who I work with were there on Saturday, they have a vid of them at the bottom of Audax pushing a 270cm probe right into the snow.

Boodwah, FloatOnSnow and Chaeron like this.
  8. Ubiquitous Steve

Ski Pass - Gold

Team Bears have cleared Staircase two week ends ago for anybody using the longer approach to Bogong upto a point just prior to snow pole line.

Bivouc Hut’s firewood supply is good......water tank is full and operative(small leak from tap join when operating)
    Inspected mesh on input to tank (some baby holes in mesh....but clean).

We are assuming all is hunky dory on the adjacent approach using Eskdale Spur...so we have done no works over there for awhile.
    Bears also did some work on Jeep track from Barrier to the foot of the Staircase Foot Track so once seasons gate is opened less work will be required for vehicle access to base of foot track.Also vehicle access restored to campsite right at foot of Staircase by creek!

neilmny and Chaeron like this.
  9. FloatOnSnow

FloatOnSnow Hard Yards

[Thanks for the update team Bears and for the track maintenance on the Staircase!

neilmny and Chaeron like this.