Surf Spring Surf Thread 2016

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Some heinous looking banners that's forsure. Someone's gotta pay the bill for 'free' surf forecasting though.
End of this week/weekend/Monday looks ok for Sydney coast with a bit more southerly fetch clipping us ('bout bloody time!).

Craig B

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 11, 2005
Manly, Sydney
www.instagram.com
Time for it!

Looks like a few waves to start things off over the past few days too.....

@SAsurfa what's with all the 'pollution' over the Swellnet homepage?!!

Haha, yeah it's what pays the bills and keeps most of the site free.

Haven't been keeping a close eye on the Sydney charts as have been back home and also watching the snow, but today's S'ly groundswell pulse was strong. 3-4ft sets at Freshy but too straight!

Reactions: POW Hungry

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
First E trade swell in the air for the new season. Summer isn't too bad on the east coast :)

Peli89

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 12, 2015
On Sunday arvo I had a solo surf on the mid coast. It was fairly junky with light on shores but it was quite fun around 2' as the tide pushed in. I only lasted around an hour - I managed to spook myself after watching 'the shallows' as rediculois as it was last week.

It's looking like a nice strong pulse again this weekend on the south coast.

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Sneaky North swell this weekend for Sydney. Front squeezing some fetch out of the Tasman high on Friday.
Some sites forecasting 3-4 foot. I am not convinced, in any case we should get some offshore out of it. Could be hours of fun right some short-period stuff!

Reactions: FourSquare04

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
Yeah no fri pm into overnight flow will reduce the size for weekend warriors. I'm keen to get my surfing boots back on but might sit it out for another weekend. Good zonal flow lining up next week for the Southern, a couple of the models have a Tasman amplification circa Friday week, here's hoping :)

Reactions: POW Hungry

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Sneaky North swell this weekend for Sydney. Front squeezing some fetch out of the Tasman high on Friday.
Some sites forecasting 3-4 foot. I am not convinced, in any case we should get some offshore out of it. Could be hours of fun right some short-period stuff!

The 'bra would like it but you should come over the north side @POW_hungry loads more options in a N to NE swell to spread the crowds out

blutek

One of Us
Jun 2, 2003
central coast
Small at Wamberal this morning. Don't know where all the sand went - lost a lot in the big storm (like Collaroy).
It's a drop off the access steps down to the beach level. There was also some heavy council equipment on the beach building up around the lagoon mouth & nearby effected houses. The local kids dig it out when the lagoon floods for a standing wave.

Last edited:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
Some sites forecasting 3-4 foot.

Had a surf late morning today at North Palm Beach with a friend and she said the same - I only just got around to checking the forecast sites and it looks like it could be a bit of fun on particularly Saturday.

Today was a bit of a grovel; I snuck my son's board (with more foam and grovel-ability) into the car after he left for Uni so I got a good haul of (short, backwash-affected, and mostly closing-out) 1-2' waves. Had fun as always :)

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Squeezed a bloody ripper of a surf in today at the 'bra. Short period no-one out. Rampy 3 foot, was one hell of a surf.

Just heard the news of the passing of Woody (Head of security for WSL). A familiar face to many, so heavy. RIP fella.

Drewboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 21, 2012
Sydney /Kiama
Had a surf late morning today at North Palm Beach with a friend and she said the same - I only just got around to checking the forecast sites and it looks like it could be a bit of fun on particularly Saturday.

Today was a bit of a grovel; I snuck my son's board (with more foam and grovel-ability) into the car after he left for Uni so I got a good haul of (short, backwash-affected, and mostly closing-out) 1-2' waves. Had fun as always :)
It's the same around our neck of the woods.The banks were the best I've seen for years about 2 weeks ago,now we have close outs and backwash.Its a real struggle at the moment.

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong

Think the banks will like the NE swell tomorrow? Palmy tends to be good in general when a NE swell is running but of course sand dependent

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
Think the banks will like the NE swell tomorrow? Palmy tends to be good in general when a NE swell is running but of course sand dependent

I just finished a session at North Palm Beach, having coffee and cake at 2108 Espresso right now. Was pretty good 3-4' (and some bigger washthrough waves too) offshore, good banks aside from a few closeouts but quite a few people in the water.

I nearly paddled out at the south end, had my wetty on, etc, but one of my friends drove past and said the north end was much better - so I drove up in my wetty and it was definitely the better option - even with maybe 40 guys in the water. I only got 4 good waves in about an hour, there were people stuck inside inevitably I didn't want to take off onto, some competition for the good waves, and the paddle back out was pretty tough as it was around the low tide, but it was well worth a surf.

I didn't check anywhere else, sorry.

IMG_3520.JPG

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
@Ted Harper surf Palmy this morning? Ended up surfing the local this morning which was super fun at 2 maybe 2+ on a few - had a ball! Pity the onshore came up and spoiled it

Yes, I surfed the same bank as yesterday morning (not quite all the way up at Barrenjoey). Was maybe a foot smaller than yesterday. I was in the water from about 6:30-8am. Fewer surfing at that time than yesterday so I got a much bigger haul of waves, I still managed to get worked a couple of times and it was pretty ridiculously shallow by the end of the session. By the time I left for home - after my session and a coffee - there were lots of people in the water (which BTW felt colder than it has been).

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Yes, I surfed the same bank as yesterday morning (not quite all the way up at Barrenjoey). Was maybe a foot smaller than yesterday. I was in the water from about 6:30-8am. Fewer surfing at that time than yesterday so I got a much bigger haul of waves, I still managed to get worked a couple of times and it was pretty ridiculously shallow by the end of the session. By the time I left for home - after my session and a coffee - there were lots of people in the water (which BTW felt colder than it has been).

How were the 'banks' handling it? My home stretch still seems to be groomed nicely for NE swells from the past summer which is weird as it normally prefers E to S swells as a general rule. It definitely helped that the period was only around 8 seconds as it created lots of shifty beach break peaks, which very few close outs.

Peli89

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 12, 2015
Surfed Middleton first light Saturday and it was a fun 2-3'. Surf was really peaky so it was real easy to pick off waves. It straightened up later in the morning and turned to poo so called it in.

Had another surf at the dump late Sunday and it was 2-3' on the sets. Great fun but super crowded. Probably a little inconsistent and not quite enough size, but reminded me a lot of second reef out at point Leo.

Reactions: Craig B

Zimboo

A Local
Aug 28, 2014
Noah, had a go at a 17yr old surfer at Ballina (again) this morning.
Early news, wound to upper leg. Paramedics and Heli called. No more news at this stage.

Last edited:

parkmonkey

Pool Room
Ski Pass
May 20, 2005
On a wave or mountain face near you.
Noah, had a go at a 17yr old surfer at Ballina (again) this morning.
Early news, wound to upper leg. Paramedics and Heli called. No more news at this stage.
A mate was there but not surfing

"Wasn't in the water, but saw it happen! Was having brecky at Lighthouse, saw it happen, ran down told the lifeguards, helped them rum gear down, helped bandage him up and carry him to the ambulance! I waded out to get his board, MASSIVE teeth marks! He's gonna be ok though, he was pretty calm, just a young fella"

Peli89

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 12, 2015
Looking at the forecast charts I might have to 'work from home' on Thursday in order to have a look at a few novelty wave spots on the SA coast...

Reactions: Belly

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
Palm Beach was almost as flat as it is possible to be. The usual early morning crew all failed to surf - for the first time I can remember - but three of us walked a lap of the beach for exercise, one guy went to yoga, two others earned brownie points doing a run of junk to the tip. Generally surfing was not an option. Some of us had a surf yesterday morning though - it was pretty tiny but still surfable.

Fingers crossed for at least some sort of wave tomorrow as the water has warmed up a bit more and is really nice. Here is how it looked this morning early anyway...

IMG_3544.JPG
IMG_3554.JPG

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
I somehome managed to have 2 'fun' surfs on the weekend. Because the far south does well out of NE windswell events there was still a rideable wave on Sat when I arrived, but family commitments and GF time took over. On Sunday the small south swell arrived a bit earlier on the south so managed a few fun peelers at a magnet on the mid-morning high tide before the wind got up. On Monday the N-NE windwell was back and managed a few more peelers on the mid-morning glass off before the wind got up. Probably not frothing, just mini-froth :)

Zimboo

A Local
Aug 28, 2014
Boys and Girls going nuts up our way. Have not had a decent wave in weeks.
Very very flat spell.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass