Spring Surf Thread 2016

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Anyone get out for a session on the weekend?

Had a mediocre midday Saturday surf on my local stretch around 2ft+

Banks have been severely destroyed after last week's big swell and there are holes everywhere, loads of rips too.

About the best thing was the water temperature, seemed to have warmed up very nicely, must be a good 20-21, was delightful :)

The Plowking

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 15, 2000
Bonbeach, Vic
Was just checking the cams.
Looks ok, had to come back to Melbourne last night so won't be in.
Enjoy if you get out.
Having a paperwork day.
Reckon tomorrow, Wednesday through to weekend looking great. Probably a large wind component to this swell initially- looks way better coming days imo.
Though any other week without such a promising outlook id be out out there!

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
It fired up yesterday arvo when it went NW. 3 + ish
Within 1/2 hr it went from no-one out to dozen or so ( yeah packed !!! ;) )
I was still in recovery mode from the 2 am beer bundy and something or other fest , one day I'll grow up.
Maybe not LOL
Nice and clean today tho bit smaller. 2-3
Pam and the gurls are all over it.

Reactions: FourSquare04

The Plowking

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 15, 2000
Bonbeach, Vic
I'm putting it out there.
Tomorrow evening/night Wednesday am will come in above forecast size (swellnet) for the west coast and westernport in Victoria.
Bells solid 6-8ft.
Westernport 4-5ft.
:)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

The Plowking

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 15, 2000
Bonbeach, Vic
Nice little peelers for a while after high tide, with everyone gone. Just 3 regulars.
IMAG1867.jpg

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
Anyone get out for a session on the weekend?

In news that will surprise nobody - YES :)

Surfed Saturday (early), was better than I thought it was going to be. Not many in the water, wasn't particularly good shape or anything and the banks at Palm Beach are a bit weird (deep in-shore channel, and sort of blobby banks, rather than nice triangular ones). My friend and I who were surfing together were a bit disappointed that a dozen or so randoms who turned up to also surf all decided that they needed to be on the same peak as us - out of the 3km of the beach that was all just as good/bad as anywhere else. We got a dozen or so waves each then gave it away.

Sunday (early again) was worse than I thought it was going to be. Surfed south Palm Beach with a couple of friends. Again didn't really matter where we surfed, it was all about the same, but we positioned ourselves so we could see when the coffee shop opened. Onshore, bumpy and a fair bit of outwards current (you know how it is running out under the waves and you can feel it pulling your fins around as you ride and slowing you down). Again got a dozen or so before going "meh" and going for coffee and cake. My wife and a friend (who has a shoulder problem and can't surf for another week) did a walk of the beach instead of surfing, confirmed it wasn't any good anywhere up the beach, and then joined us for coffee and cake.

I snuck out for 45 minutes or so at lunchtime yesterday around the middle of the beach. Was pretty good fun, basically summer-surf conditions.

Lovely warm water all three days; I wore a 3/2 steamer on Saturday and was definitely over-rubbered, so went with summer vest and boardshorts the other two sessions and was just right.

The Plowking

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 15, 2000
Bonbeach, Vic
You would do well to come back in with all 3 fins surfing that there
Nah. All good. That first hour after high is a little sweet spot, especially on a weekend. Everyone hits up the incoming from early and ditch it when it often gets too full at top of tide. Reckon I get more and better waves around then.

2 fin incidents in 25 years.
Nose and rail damage quite a bit more...

Last edited:
Reactions: Chowder11

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood
Nah. All good. That first hour after high is a little sweet spot, especially on a weekend. Everyone hits up the incoming from early and ditch it when it often gets too full at top of tide. Reckon I get more and better waves around then.

2 fin incidents in 25 years.
Nose and rail damage quite a bit more...
I did a fin just last Autumn at Little Noosa, there is a bloody rock that pops out about just after where you paddle in that becomes exposed 2-3 hrs after the high tide.

Reactions: The Plowking

parkmonkey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 20, 2005
On a wave or mountain face near you.
Expect this to go viral (if it hasn't already) and strike more fear into the tourism mecca of Byron
I wonder if people can't comprehend what a big shark is, I'm sure it's an eye opener seeing a 4-5m white as big as a kombi in the flesh, I guess a couple of the bulls sharks that have killed people haven't been huge fish but a lot more nuggety than this puppy

Reactions: nfip

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Are the backpackers/tourists concerned at all about the increased shark presence over the past few years up there PM?

Or are they either oblivious to it or just accept it?

From what the media are reporting it's really affected trade in Ballina but what about Byron?

parkmonkey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 20, 2005
On a wave or mountain face near you.
Not sure, all the ones coming in to see me are keen to get in the water, they shut the beaches for 24hrs after the broken head attack and had people wanting boards through the day, they couldn't believe the beach was closed. People ask me about it, I give it to em straight, they're there most of the time, you've got more chance getting hit by a car crossing road going to the beach than ya do getting attacked and you either go surf and don't worry about it or don't go surfing, I comfort most of them in the fact that they are only going to be walking out to waist depth water and catching the whitewash back to the beach

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Not sure, all the ones coming in to see me are keen to get in the water, they shut the beaches for 24hrs after the broken head attack and had people wanting boards through the day, they couldn't believe the beach was closed. People ask me about it, I give it to em straight, they're there most of the time, you've got more chance getting hit by a car crossing road going to the beach than ya do getting attacked and you either go surf and don't worry about it or don't go surfing, I comfort most of them in the fact that they are only going to be walking out to waist depth water and catching the whitewash back to the beach
Wise words pm , this is the common sense attitude needed that you only get from our experience sitting out there most if not all of your life.
I did a DPI survey the other night on proposed netting etc. (which I oppose fwiw).
Thread worthy of it's own topic , but I decided against to leave it simple & civil in here for the regulars.

Belly

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
It's nearly come to blows at home regarding the shark debate :)
But agree, let's leave it for SN and CW.

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
The govt has a lot to answer for re the shark debate.

They've totally thrown the balance out. They've squashed professional fishing families livelihood and let this happen. Most commercial fishing operators on the east coast of Australia have been thrown out of business by the govt after they revoked all of their licences. The professionals were the most regulated fishermen on the water. Sustainability was critical to their survival so they all ensured that they didn't overfish unlike recreational fishing which is not regulated at all.

So now we have lots of small fish being continually taken by recreational fishermen and the larger fish number growing which has caused an imbalance.

Commercial fishermen had quotas for shark so their numbers were kept in check. Shark numbers have increased dramatically and they're hungry, hence they're coming closer to shore to look for food. A great feast for them is the deep sea mullet which runs from Ports Stephens to Rockhampton from April through to Aug- Sept. They spawn up the inland rivers and head for the ocean. There's been some climatic changes in the last couple of years which have seen the schools hanging closer to shore in greater numbers. Deep Sea mullet are caught from shore by net and the licences for these have remained. Sure they come close to shore regularly but warmer waters have seen them stay closer for longer which draws in the hungry predators. As the schools run north the sharks remain and Ballina rivermouth is a like a sushi train for a shark. Hence why they're there.

These attacks are going to become more prevalent unless the govt does something to redress the imbalance.

I'm not suggesting culling. I'm not anti shark either. They're magnificent creatures and humans aren't on their menu it's just unfortunate that when a shark hits its intended prey the result is generally not good for the recipient be it fish or human. The balance needs to be redressed, that's all.

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood
The govt has a lot to answer for re the shark debate.

They've totally thrown the balance out. They've squashed professional fishing families livelihood and let this happen. Most commercial fishing operators on the east coast of Australia have been thrown out of business by the govt after they revoked all of their licences. The professionals were the most regulated fishermen on the water. Sustainability was critical to their survival so they all ensured that they didn't overfish unlike recreational fishing which is not regulated at all.

So now we have lots of small fish being continually taken by recreational fishermen and the larger fish number growing which has caused an imbalance.

Commercial fishermen had quotas for shark so their numbers were kept in check. Shark numbers have increased dramatically and they're hungry, hence they're coming closer to shore to look for food. A great feast for them is the deep sea mullet which runs from Ports Stephens to Rockhampton from April through to Aug- Sept. They spawn up the inland rivers and head for the ocean. There's been some climatic changes in the last couple of years which have seen the schools hanging closer to shore in greater numbers. Deep Sea mullet are caught from shore by net and the licences for these have remained. Sure they come close to shore regularly but warmer waters have seen them stay closer for longer which draws in the hungry predators. As the schools run north the sharks remain and Ballina rivermouth is a like a sushi train for a shark. Hence why they're there.

These attacks are going to become more prevalent unless the govt does something to redress the imbalance.

I'm not suggesting culling. I'm not anti shark either. They're magnificent creatures and humans aren't on their menu it's just unfortunate that when a shark hits its intended prey the result is generally not good for the recipient be it fish or human. The balance needs to be redressed, that's all.
Only a matter of time before a nipper in a race gets taken, or a kid swimming between the flags then all hell is going to break loose.
Obviously never ever want that to happen, but if it does, I wouldn't want to be a shark within 15km of the coastline.

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Only a matter of time before a nipper in a race gets taken, or a kid swimming between the flags then all hell is going to break loose.
Obviously never ever want that to happen, but if it does, I wouldn't want to be a shark within 15km of the coastline.
Which was seen with the WA drum line's solution last year.
It's a very emotive subject as we all love the Ocean and our time in it but unfortunately it comes with significant risks.
So does driving the HIghway ... it's our choice to swim there.
The sharks aren't dangling cold beer and kebabs on a hook to get us in there.;)

I believe the money and Govt resources be better invested in developing the deterrant technology.
Can simply have them placed adjacent the popular swimming beaches , and problem spots like Ballina.
There are already wrist bands , deck grips and leashes that are progressing along this path.

The other side of the coin is of course Environmental impact and the food chain.
I agree with @DPS Driver - they have got it wrong with the Commercial fishing industry at present.
btw they do have bag limits on recreational fishing .

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood
Which was seen with the WA drum line's solution last year.
It's a very emotive subject as we all love the Ocean and our time in it but unfortunately it comes with significant risks.
So does driving the HIghway ... it's our choice to swim there.
The sharks aren't dangling cold beer and kebabs on a hook to get us in there.;)

I believe the money and Govt resources be better invested in developing the deterrant technology.
Can simply have them placed adjacent the popular swimming beaches , and problem spots like Ballina.
There are already wrist bands , deck grips and leashes that are progressing along this path.

The other side of the coin is of course Environmental impact and the food chain.
I agree with @DPS Driver - they have got it wrong with the Commercial fishing industry at present.
btw they do have bag limits on recreational fishing .
It will happen though, its only a matter of time.
Could you imagine the outcry when little Johnny on a holiday gets taken in the flags. Shit will blow up.

I also dont agree we need a full on cull straight away.
My thoughts are along the same lines as yours and DPS. I think viable commercial fishing to "manage" numbers.
Continued tagging so get better ideas on actual numbers hanging closer to the coastal waters and all that jazz is a much better long term management plan.

But again, if something horrible like I have previously mentioned happens, its could get really ugly quick.

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Absolutely , look at Mick Fanning anything possible.
I've had a shark cruise though the middle of a Surf Carnival with honestly 60 kids in the water racing in 3 water areas .
Nothing was said over the radio's , we just shadowed it along as it meandered lazily up the beach.
Nervous few minutes.

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood
Absolutely , look at Mick Fanning anything possible.
I've had a shark cruise though the middle of a Surf Carnival with honestly 60 kids in the water racing in 3 water areas .
Nothing was said over the radio's , we just shadowed it along as it meandered lazily up the beach.
Nervous few minutes.
That would have been a heavy few minutes.

Drewboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 21, 2012
Sydney /Kiama
IMG_0481.JPG
IMG_0489.JPG
IMG_0487.JPG
It's all happening at Cronulla today with the Sally Fitz comp.1 to 2ft on a close out bank won't be doing the girls any favours

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
Had an early at North Palm Beach while the wind was still (strong) NW up near Barrenjoey was pretty sheltered but the banks and swirly currents let us down. One of those days it looked better from the carpark than in the water at any of the banks on the beach. All my friends had a surf and other than the nice water nobody really had a satisfying session. Newport Peak looked to have an ok wave and not many out when I checked it afterwards but there was a SLSC carnival of some sort underway so the carpark was maxed-out and I wasn't tempted enough to pop out for a quick second session.

Supposed to pick up significantly for tomorrow so maybe more size, different swell direction and different wind will make for a better surf tomorrow.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass