Spring Weather Rumblings

Undies

Rockin the lock in
Ski Pass
May 15, 2002
Top drawer
Looking a bit damp again here in Sydney tonight. Loving this whole warm day followed by gentle storm at night phase.

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC
We have been missing out on that (save for a day or 2) down in Melbs, but I love it too, get some heat some shear into the atmosphere during the day then mid-arvo the party starts.

Squidly

One of Us
Jun 4, 2004
TAS
A Tornado warning in SE Tas (inc Hobart) from BOM today, never seen that predicted before.

William

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Cairns
I remember reading that Australia has the second highest tornado yearly average behind the US. Its just that the US has such a unique confluence of weather systems that tornadoes are extremely common over there. In Aus there are areas like the SW of WA that are our local hot-spots and we have a pop density that is extremely low so it is possible for tornado spawning systems to go completely unobserved in large areas of the country. Combine that with a general belief and media downplaying, unintentional, of tornadoes as willy-willies, or a freak wind during a storm, and you get the current lack of awareness.

phantomas

Hard Yards
Jul 31, 2005
Darwin
Fraud! I'm apparently watching Camilla Parker Bowles examine uniformed chaps at the Barracks just up the road on ABC24 live. Grape sized hail says no.

I should add this is in East Sydney.

WaitAwhile

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 29, 2012
Perth/part time resident of Jindabyne
Claude Cat said:
Do we really get Tornados in Australia?
Water spouts, yes. Seen a few and every summer we get a few here in Victoria.

Was living in Merimbula in 1995 when it got hit by a F2 Tornado,Easter Sunday evening,the town was full of tourists for the long weekend and should of been at work at the bowling club which got hit as it pretty well passed right overhead and done a lot of damage to nearby buildings and took the roof of the motel across the road.
We had a bit of a pissup at our place the night before after we finished work (cocktails only) and wokeup up at 10am Sunday morning for a 11am start and could not even stand up by myself,so threw a sickie.
We lived up on the hill when you come into town from Bega and looked over the town and Pambula was to the right and that evening watched, probably the biggest electrical storm I have ever witnessed, directly over town and Pambula and over the ocean,there was literally hundreds and hundreds of strikes ,and quite a few with almost no gap between the thunder and lightning and some very strong wind gusts.
A quite a few houses and businesses suffered serious damage and the a motel across the road from the bowlo was destroyed and lots and lots of trees down around town but luckily no fatalities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

snow777

First Runs
Apr 26, 2012
Near Marysville at 390 m asl
PG said:

shocked.gif
Very interesting!

Claude Cat

On my bike
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
Canterbury, Vic
Vic BOM have issued a SWW for central and other parts of Vic

Severe Weather Warning
for damaging winds
for people in the Central and West and South Gippsland forecast districts

Issued at 10:53 am EDT on Monday 12 November 2012.
Weather Situation

A cold front over western Victoria will move steadily eastwards to reach central areas around noon and clearing eastern districts by mid afternoon

Damaging winds around 50 to 70 km/h with peak gusts of 100 km/h are forecast for parts of the Central and West and South Gippsland forecast districts, mainly over elevated areas., during the morning but winds should ease from the west during the afternoon.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Wind gust to 90km/h earlier this morning here in Melbourne

Tanks are no longer full

Need rain

Claude Cat

On my bike
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
Canterbury, Vic
skidown said:
Wind gust to 90km/h earlier this morning here in Melbourne

Tanks are no longer full

Need rain

Can't see any significant moisture for the next week or two.

Rush

Pool Room
Jul 26, 2000
Most long-term ensemble products from JMA, ECMWF, CMA (Canadian Met agency) are predicting warm termps over most of Australia in the 2nd-half of November.

The EC ensemble is showing strong probabilities of higher than normal sea level pressures across inland/northern Aus during this time and JMA is also suggesting higher than normal 500hpa heights around NSW as well.

Claude Cat

On my bike
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
Canterbury, Vic
BOM's (September) prediction of a drier than normal spring for the SE has been spot on.

20120919.national.lr.gif

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
One tank is empty... 25000 litres gone
frown.gif

It's actually getting quite dry out there

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC
No problems here. My rainfall for the year has just dipped below the long-term average. Temps are slightly below average too. Got plenty of water, got plenty of growth happening, lifes good.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
80000 to go...

Used a heap watering fertiliser in the grass....

Heaps of fast growing trees......
frown.gif

captainQ

Hard Yards
Jul 27, 2010
Mid North Coast NSW
Just came across a link on Weatherzone, that certainly shows some spring weather rumblings, storms as indicated by lightning strike radar, in a massive line from the Kimberly to the Mid North Coast of NSW. http://t.co/11OQ0Mv4

chunky

Pool Room
Jul 24, 1998
brisbane,qld,aus
I'm so annoyed I didn't go hunting for photos yesterday with that storm in Brisbane.

The big joke was that when it looked like hitting Brisbane I went to the BOM site and they still had a forecast for the afternoon of possible storms - yet we had a big one on our arse hitting right away and they had absolutely nothing about it until it was over Brisbane.

They were all over the early evening storm that hit. That was a beauty. Supposedly 3 super storm cells converged.

And this morning we are about to be hit by a baby storm as it goes through. It is very unusual to have morning storms in this region and the thunder is just rolling over and over. Makes for an interesting start to the day.

captainQ

Hard Yards
Jul 27, 2010
Mid North Coast NSW
Weatherzone reported that a storm dropped hail 8 to 10 cm in diameter near Toowoomba, yesterday afternoon. That hard hat material.
eek.gif

captainQ

Hard Yards
Jul 27, 2010
Mid North Coast NSW
[quote =chunky]

The big joke was that when it looked like hitting Brisbane I went to the BOM site and they still had a forecast for the afternoon of possible storms - yet we had a big one on our arse hitting right away and they had absolutely nothing about it until it was over Brisbane.[/quote]

That reminds me of that Lunig cartoon of a man watching a sunset on TV, when the same sunset is visible from his window.
wink.gif

chunky

Pool Room
Jul 24, 1998
brisbane,qld,aus
I was checking for hail warnings and seeing if the warnings for it were tracking to certain parts of Brissy and there was nothing. Morfe out of curiosity as I had moved everything in anyway.

ojisan

station master
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2011
Holy sh!te... thats a big water spout
eek.gif

Born2ski

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
Some crazy weather in Brisbane this weekend. We've had a number big thunderstorms roll through with sunny periods in between. Just had nearly 30mm of rain in under 30 minutes. Since yesterday morning we've had 116mm of rain at my place. (Brisbane northside)

chunky

Pool Room
Jul 24, 1998
brisbane,qld,aus
Yep we got pummelled today. I am a noob at youtube but if anyone is interested - this is part of the storm that hit us today. If you want to skip the initial bit the big hail starts to hit after the 2 min mark. Anyone caught out in that in their car would have been destroyed I think. Unfortuntely my second car and the two guest family cars out the front got caught in it - including my near new sister's pajero
frown.gif

Just before the storm hit we heard this roar that went on for about a minute. We all turned to the sky looking for a tornado. It was as loud as a plane or like a roaring wind through trees. you might hear me trying to get my daughter to do something and I was full on yelling and she couldn't hear me - it was that loud!

chunky

Pool Room
Jul 24, 1998
brisbane,qld,aus
Sure. Almost anywhere could get a once in a blue moon storm like this. I haven't seen anything like this for a long time. Brisbane has had some nasty stuff but like the Gap storm of a few years ago it just depends on where you are.

chunky

Pool Room
Jul 24, 1998
brisbane,qld,aus
And i stuffed up the date in the title
laugh.gif
. It was Sunday 18 Nov not the 17 Nov in the title on the vid. noob.

chunky

Pool Room
Jul 24, 1998
brisbane,qld,aus
Here is an indication of the size of hail we got. I imagine they could have been a lot larger but broke apart on landing.

579101_3346593483747_1657831554_n.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass