Spring Weather Rumblings

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC
As for current stuff, observations are that storms are on the way and with the ridiculous amount of available potential energy (wow, big words) I can see some serious storms in VIC today, with very heavy rainfall.

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC
Go here:

http://www.bom.gov.au/aviation/observations/aerological-diagrams/

Click Melbourne. Holy sheet that's Darwin-style CAPE. Although the transition to positive buoyancy is higher than I would have expected today, once you get there there's buckets of storm potential. Normally I would say a positive transition at 700hpa is a bit too high for big storms in our area, but with the heat that was pumped into the state yesterday i'm not sure it will make that much different.

Last edited by a moderator:

snow777

First Runs
Apr 26, 2012
Near Marysville at 390 m asl
I am hoping for some...
smile.gif

rocketboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 9, 2010
Gerroa
We're getting hit by hail wind and rain here of the NSW south coast. Regional radar looks bleak with lots more to come through. The national radar looks even more bleak with a big low coming in from the south. What happened to the heatwave and is this just a taste of what summer might actually be like.

The Plowking

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 15, 2000
Bonbeach, Vic
rocketboy said:
We're getting hit by hail wind and rain here of the NSW south coast. Regional radar looks bleak with lots more to come through. The national radar looks even more bleak with a big low coming in from the south. What happened to the heatwave and is this just a taste of what summer might actually be like.
What was predicted by BOM....... happened.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

ice_man

One of Us
Aug 21, 2008
Melbourne
I can definitely see snow in this kind of a setup. Even though the thickness isn't quite there, the sort of system just has snow written all over it IMO.

By the way, is it time for a 'summer' weather thread or is December still considered spring?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass