1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Staff accom at falls

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by kizzaob, Apr 8, 2008.

1. kizzaob

kizzaob First Runs

I applied for a job at falls and was just wondering what the staff accommodation is like? Pricing? location? Is it better to organise it yourself?
    thanks.

2. Annalisse

Annalisse First Runs

well it depends on who you're working for?

3. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

as annalisse said, it depends on who you work for.

some staff accom in the village, some in mt beauty (~30kms away) and some in bogong village ~ half way in-between.

if you want to save money, best not to stay on mountain. if you mainly want to party, then on mountain is the go, but expensive.

4. Annalisse

Annalisse First Runs

oh god no i wouldnt stay off mountain for anything. there are some places which offer food and accomodation for very reasonable prices, with all utilities included. but again, it depends on where you're working!

5. currawong

some people prefer off mountain. but it doesn't suit everyone. certainly a pain if you work nights or early mornings. but increasingly staff are being housed off mountain.

6. Annalisse

Annalisse First Runs

the main thing i love about falls is being able to be right in the middle of it all. that and i dont have a car haha. but i worked last season and will be doing so again this season, i just couldnt do off mountain. but as you said, i did early mornings and late nights, but it was more being able to live in the snow that i loved so much. i also wouldnt want to deal with the crazy drivers up that road twice a day! some of them are shocking!

7. kizzaob

kizzaob First Runs

Thanks,
    I'll probly be working with the lift crew.

Yeh on mtn sounds pretty good at falls!
    For the lift crew, do falls organise the accommodation for you (crappy dorm rooms?) or can you organise it yourself? What would be the best option?

8. Petals

Petals Hard Yards

The lift company have some accom at their Nissan buildings, and I suspect it is still 4 to a room. If you look at the summit cam you will see them on the left of the pic. There are some details on their web site and ask at the interview. If you can find your own place then go for it.

9. Annalisse

Annalisse First Runs

well not 100% sure, but the lift company put their staff in the Nissen buildings (which are 2 bunks ie 4 beds and a bathroom), or aurora (dont know what thats like) and some also off mountain. it will be really difficult to organise your own accomodation elsewhere as it's very competitive and difficult to get staff beds on the mountain. usually the only way to do it is to work for someone fulltime who also offers their staff on-mountain accomodation (they dont usually offer it to parttime or casuals, only fulltime because of the limited beds). the benefit of the lift company accomodation is that it's cheap and lets you save more each week (just don't spend it all out partying or you will probably regret it, especially if you're aiming to get overseas in summer).

10. currawong

as well as above, lift company also put some staff off mountain.

Gossip tells me that the lift co has recently acquired another lodge for staff accommodation. not as centrally located as Nissen, but should be nicer in other ways.

11. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Aurora is a defunct club that is now used for tow company accommodation. The rooms vary from twin or double, right through to 8 share. Sleeps about 32. Communal bathrooms, no ensuites. Fairly good kitchen.

BUT it has two awesomely good lounge rooms. I hired the entire place for one of my hiking tours a few years ago. I have since upgraded the lodges I hire to 3½ or 4 stars. But I have never found a place in Falls Creek with better lounge rooms.

12. Annalisse

Annalisse First Runs

yerrr i said that too...

i wonder if that rumour is true and what place it is...hmmmmmm interesting!

and yeh i heard aurora is actually pretty decent, it's near milch right?

#12 Annalisse, Apr 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  13. Jeffo

Jeffo Hard Yards

Great pricing compared to the other resorts, especially Hotham...

#13 Jeffo, Apr 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
  14. Ulmerhutte

Ulmerhutte First Runs

Heard a rumour that they bought Vikings and it will be staff accomm from next year. Anybody know more about it???

#14 Ulmerhutte, Apr 9, 2008
  15. parkmonkey

parkmonkey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

The first season that you didn't have to take the food option it was only $35 a week [​IMG]
    Back a few years it was $160 a week, including 3 meals a day, laundry and room cleaning.

#15 parkmonkey, Apr 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  16. Principal Douglas

Principal Douglas A Local

Wow.... And here in Jindy staff have to pay $147 a week for a shared room including utilities and that's about it.

17. snowobsessedgirl

snowobsessedgirl Hard Yards

Last year all the towies were in the Nissen building, with 4 people per room ($85 a week). The rooms had 2 bunks, a full size fridge, mirowave and a bathroom. There was also a common room with free wireless internet, and laundry was free. I've heard this year its the same but the cost is now $95 a week, no meals included. The Frying Pan does $10 staff meals so there is cheap food available. You can stay somewhere else if you want more personal space, but I would recommend staying there as it is really social and lots of fun.

18. ausi ski bum

ausi ski bum A Local

Yes your correct, if you look at the recent purchase of Gebi's and Viking you have to wonder if its the accommodation they are after of the ski hire and retail outlets. Either way this is a very wise investment, they should buy Feathertop as well.

#18 ausi ski bum, Apr 11, 2008
  19. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Viking is (or was) the best value accommodation on the mountain for people on a budget. It (just) qualified for the 3 star classification, yet it was affordable in winter and almost cheap in summer.

If people asked me where to stay and said that they were a little short of money, I used to suggest Viking. They should have put me on a retainer, I sent them so many customers over the years.

I have no idea where I will send people who ask me for cheap(ish) but clean and comfortable accommodation at Falls Creek now.

20. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

so Viking will operate as normal this year? Just interested as my sons school use it in September for a ski camp. Falls is becoming very limiting in terms of reasonable lodge accommodation. Although for a family it is cheaper to rent an apartment, for couples or individuals that becomes expensive.

21. Annalisse

Annalisse First Runs

i think julians is cheaper, its nice too

22. kasper

kasper Hard Yards

I didn't want to start a new thread about it, but I was wonderng what was U/C in the carpark cam at Falls creek? I assume it is some form of accomodation?

23. currawong

the building project in the slalom st carpark is the St Falls development which will combine shops and (expensive) flats with a "gateway" to the village.

it has been a figure of fun (ie derision) for a couple of years, but we are assured that the lowerlevels will be ready for business this season

24. SNOW-STUFF

SNOW-STUFF Hard Yards

The Lift Co will also have a retail outlet ther called Apre Vous (I think that is how it will be spelt).

25. kasper

kasper Hard Yards

Thanks [​IMG]

#25 kasper, Apr 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  26. WIZO

WIZO First Runs

Chat to the AWU about Award maximums of staff. the max was set in the 1980s ie cheap.