1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

News Stanely Name spur track clearing. 23, 24/11/19

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Mister Tee on XC Skis, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

Bushwalking Vic. are doing a track clearing working bee on Stanley Name Spur later in Nov.. (23, 24/11/19)

I am not sure if they are clearing the whole track from the Circuit Rd. or just the bit that goes up to the Cross Cut Saw from the intersection with Queen's Spur logging track.
    Either way it will be a good thing. I was hiking up there in Nov. 2017 and it was quite a slog through the scrub and a crab crawl up to the Cross Cut Saw.

6/10/19 Edited to remove text formatting, should now be visible in dark & light schemes.

#1 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Oct 4, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2019
    GS and Tanuki like this.
  2. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Black text again.:blb:

Seth and Telemark Phat like this.
  3. neilmny

neilmny Addicted

Looks fine to me.........o_O..........I see black text on every post in the forum?????????

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  4. skifree

I’m guessing you use the light scheme.

I’ll sort his formatting when I’m on a real machine.

5. neilmny

neilmny Addicted

Yes I do use the light scheme.

skifree likes this.
  6. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I just type stuff on an old desk top computer. I know nothing about these other matters.

7. skifree

That’s the issue, when you copy & paste the text into the thread it carries formatting from the software you type in over.

The fix is to copy & paste into note pad which strips it to txt only then back.

8. Mister Tee on XC Skis

You will have talk a bit louder into the two tin cans and the piece of string I am using. Or use a bigger bamboo mat to make bigger smoke signals once you have woken my carrier pigeon up.

9. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Expressions of interest are now being taken by Bushwalking Victoria for volunteers to help with the track clearing on Howitt Spur, Stanley name Spur and some of Queen's spur road for the last weekend in November 2019.If you can spare the time, can be of use with power or hand tools and can get your car down to the Upper Howqua Campsite then look them up on the interwebby.

skifree likes this.
  10. stansi

stansi One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

"Queen's spur road"......... Is that how they describe It?
    I don't think it's been a road past the Upper Howqua Campsite for twenty years.

11. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The foot track at the junction of the two branches of the Howqua River that leads to Stanley Name spur track and the Cross Cut Saw is still known as Queen's Spur road. The 2018 Edition of the SV Buller- Howitt Map no longer shows the continuation of the said route out to near Mt.Buggery and The Pimple. As Ubi Steve commented once , that back in his 20's(?) one could drive a 4 WD the whole way out there. ASFAIK now that route is not even used by Timbertop school groups. I think it is being abandoned to nature. I have never walked that route but I know a friend who tried to get up to Mt. Buggery that way and had a horror hike and had to turn back.
    It is very overgrown in places from recent reports. Glenn Van Der thingy 's walkers' notes on the latest SV Map of the area seems to corroborate this hunch. Rooftops maps have also given up showing it as a route . It could be reopened to walkers along that old bench cut logging road but it would take camping near that four ways track junction, and using chain saws and whipper snippers to recut what is only 4-5-6 kms of bench cut track.
    The track clearing team are not going to bother with that section when they head out to work on the bushwalking routes in the area later next month.

#11 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Oct 29, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  12. skifree

I understand it was abandoned as a track / fire track once the bridges collapsed, they were huge logs from memory. Naturally no one wanted to pay for replacement bridges and big logs do not comply with code any more so it was going to get bigger than ben hur to do anything.

13. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Correspondence with the track clearing co ordinator of volunteers suggests that just the upper SN spur to the Cross cut saw and the Howitt spur will be cleared including the first section of the Queen's spur track. The number of volunteers will dictate what is feasible in terms of track clearing. I would go and help but am tied down that weekend. That very loop is what I walked in Nov. 2017.

#13 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Oct 29, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  14. Mister Tee on XC Skis

15. legend

legend One of Us

Queens Spur was once a magnificent open ash forest walk once you dropped off Buggery all the way to The Pimple. Then the once only logging road came (around '89) and then it was never the same. The same as Stanley Name Spur. I am very fortunate to have seen many such areas before logging took such amazing forests.