1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

stanleys ski out? 18-07-07

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by Low Pressure Lover, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Low Pressure Lover

Low Pressure Lover First Runs

did the chutes at stanleys this avo... absolutely epic powder! steep, deep & dry [​IMG]
    saw some tracks hreading out next to the creek - wondering if anyone knows, could it actually be skiied right to the carpark?

we hiked back to merrits, there was a nice bootpack up the hill (thanks, whoever made it!)

epic day at thredders... didnt look like 25cm, but anywhere that was collecting windblown was seriously good... first time i've had face-shots in aus! it was THAT dry!!!

#1 Low Pressure Lover, Jul 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  2. angusjtski

angusjtski Hard Yards

I have never tried going further down, but I think it would be pretty aweful. I spent many years on the Patrol at Thredbo and never heard of anyone trying to get down there.

3. sastrugi

sastrugi Beyond the yoga zone Ski Pass: Gold

Errol reckons he's skied to the road back in the day... sounds awesome!!! I CAN'T WAIT TO GET UP THERE in a week [​IMG] [​IMG]

#3 sastrugi, Jul 19, 2007
  4. spaz

spaz Hard Yards

Last year a punter took her two kids down. Tried to hike to the bottom the brush is so dense, took them until 2am, had ski patrol out looking.

I made it to the bottom in 2000. Had to hike for a half hour through wet snow and jump a creek to get the run out, never will go that far down again.

5. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

From experience ... the ski down is not worth the effort getting out again. It is a bloody jungle in there. IMHO you are better off (and safer if prepared) going further out along the ridge and making new lines towards twin valleys ... but I don't encourage such adventures for day skiers.

6. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

A few years ago Schuss Ski Team did it in summer and found it tough going. I don't know if that report is still on the forums, but there were some great pics of just how dense the bush down there is.

I think people have died out in that general area (was it Simon Crean's brother?).

7. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator

Don't do it. The hike to the bottom. Don't. People die.

8. VSG

check the density of the vegetation from top to bottom.

[​IMG]

#8 VSG, Jul 19, 2007
  9. ssar

ssar One of Us

Never dones it all the way out myself, but friends I knew did it years ago, in very good snow cover.

They emphasised it needs to have a lotta snow down low to cover lotsa bush etc.

I'd never do it without sussing it out mightily in bright sunny weather from the bottom first.

10. Principal Douglas

Principal Douglas A Local

Some mates did it today. Hopefully I can get some photos from them....

11. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

ever seen tracks coming out of the trees as you drive into the thredbo day carpark?

12. Low Pressure Lover

well, we did the main stanleys bowl on friday, & it was awesome! the tracks we had spotted on wednesday werent obvious anymore, but my mate (who's done stanleys before) found an old boot-pack & we hiked back up to merrits. 2 other dudes did the bowl minutes before us & then 2 more minutes after - they were all pretty lucky we were there, as they had started hiking out along the creek, but it would have taken hours - the snow simply wasnt packed down or deep enough. as it was, the hike up & out still took a long time, because 2 of the guys were pretty inexperienced & struggled with the bootpack.

stanleys rocks, but dont even think about doing it unless you are with someone who's done it before, have done some uphill hiking in deep snow, & have plenty of water & snacks!

13. monkeyman

monkeyman First Runs

I've done the full creek and, yes, it sucks big time. Even with very good top to bottom snow, the fall line means you are constantly getting stuck in the creek, hiking back up to the ridgeline in deep, deep snow to try and traverse and just repeating this half a dozen times before you make it out. Add a couple of creek crossings to liven things up and you get the picture.

It's a wonderfully seductive thought to just keep going down the creek, until you get into hell and it's too late to turn back. Super fit people with good bush knowledge may do it in a couple of hours. Lesser mortals will suffer... a lot.

The 30 minute hike back up to Merritts wins any day, even if you do need to cut your own bootpack.

Having said that, there is a very easy line to do top to bottom out in that area, but I'll leave that one a mystery for now...

14. Low Pressure Lover

good info monkeyman!

i reckon i know the mystery line, & yes it's awesome... i must do it again next time stanleys is tracked out [​IMG]

the end of that line still needs quite a lot of snow for an easy exit i'd say, & when i did it (in 04 or 05) i met people riding out from stanleys alongside the creek, & they said it wasnt too bad, so im thinking that its doable in the right conditions - ie. a very deep base with something fairly fresh ontop.

bring on the next dump [​IMG]

#14 Low Pressure Lover, Jul 21, 2007
  15. VSG

Where did Crean's brother come to grief?

16. Principal Douglas

They were my mates! [​IMG]

They were very thankful that you guys showed them the way out. Neither of them had been in there before and I think they went in with some sketchy advice on the best way to hike out (not from me as I really don't know!)

[​IMG]

#16 Principal Douglas, Jul 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  17. Low Pressure Lover

was that harry & jake, or the other 2? (who's names i forgot).

we were glad to help, it's always sensible for everyone to stick together in those situations.

& they bought us beers once we were back at merrits [​IMG]

#17 Low Pressure Lover, Jul 22, 2007
  18. Principal Douglas

It was the other two, unless they gave you fake names! If/When I get their pics I'll send them to you

19. SteepNDeep

SteepNDeep First Runs

Last week I went with two mates into the area between GCB and DHG....I've heard it called 'underworld' but don't know if it has a name. Great terrain and snow cover but...

It was a solid +2.5hr of non-stop bushbashing by 3 fit guys to get out of there back to the GCB. Absolute fn misery.

20. seak

seak One of Us

GCB?
    Boot-packing! Maybe get Alpine Trekkers or AT bindings and skins.
    People with good bush knowledge? Get hold of a topo map and compass and develop some 'good bush knowledge' en-route.

21. Principal Douglas

That area is a real no go zone SnD. Hardly worth the effort I hear.

22. Low Pressure Lover

cheers PD, yeah the other guys went marching up the bootpack right behind my mate at a good pace, while i took the rear & sheparded the 2 young blokes out. they took absolutely ages, & it made me realise im actually reasonably fit for a middle-aged bloke, watching these 2 uni guys struggle up the hill [​IMG]

#22 Low Pressure Lover, Jul 22, 2007