1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Starlink Satellite now availabe.

Discussion in 'Hotham & Dinner Plain' started by MAC, Apr 13, 2021.

1. MAC

MAC Hard Yards

I have noticed Starlink satellite is now available at Mouth Hotham.

Just wondering if any lodge is thinking about purchasing the service.

2. DidSurfNowSki One of them Ski Pass: Gold

That's a bit wordy.

3. Any

Any One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Its still in Beta.
    we've already purchased, and received it. but haven't tested it yet.

ideally we'll use it at our apartment in Hotham Chalet, but we're members of Vagabond and The Lodge and if we're not allowed to stick it on the roof at Chalet it'll probably go to one of them. they really suffer down that end of the village for internet and 3g/4g coverage.

we're currently in Melbourne, heading up to Hotham in a week or two to test it out. Will try to keep you guys updated.

$657.18 + $90.91 shipping + $60.91 tax + $139/monthly
    50-150mbit down / 50+mbit up.
    supposedly eventually becoming 1000mbit/100mbit after the beta program once they have better coverage.
    unlimited data allowance.
    <10ms latency

Haven't seen it in action, but the panel has its own built-in heating too, designed for icey and snowy conditions.

Normal satellite internet is 20mbit down/2mbit up, 250ms latency (which is almost unusable) with a 25gb limit (useless for a lodge).

most of Hotham, even the far lodges, has access to ADSL1+ with usually around 14mbit down and 384kbit up.
    14mbit is survivable so long as its not to flooded with netflix (which mind you is designed to automatically use as much bandwidth as it can).
    it's that upload speed is the big killer. if anyone is uploading at the full speed of any internet connection it becomes almost unavailable, it might even appear to be disconnected. you've got guests and tourists with cloud backups, cloud photos, cloud everything enabled. they take 4gb of photos / videos during the day, come home to wifi and it tries to upload, and clog up the link for 3 hours just for them.
    add to that 20 other guests doing the same thing and you've got 21 people who say "the wifi doesnt work".
    its frustrating for me when i keep seeing lodges installing better and better wifi trying to solve the wrong issue.

I've setup a small raspberry pi as a smart qos htb router with routing rules to evenly share a link between users. everyone gets a minimum amount. if nobody is using their share, its split amongst everyone else. when they try to use, everyone else slows down. 90% of the time each user should get 99% of the available bandwidth, but it should mean that people can try to upload their bs cloud backup as much as they like, its only their connectivity that they effect.
    this is different in comparison to most residential even commercial router's "qos" features, that simply prioritizes one protocol over another. which is effectively useless in almost all everyday scenarios.
    a similar setup to this router will be key for success if a lodge wants "wifi that works". regardless of the bandwidth available, 384kbit or even 100mbit.

cold wombat, trappers, nezumi and 4 others like this.
  4. Any

https://satellitemap.space/ has a really cool live map of starlink's satellites.
    you can also see the long strings of recently launched ones that haven't spread out to their orbit positions yet.

nezumi, skifree, MAC and 1 other person like this.
  5. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Jealous, I put in a deposit on the day it was opened but Buller doesn't seem to have been made available yet.

D-eye likes this.
  6. sbm_

sbm_ One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Is that really the best use case for a pi? Is installing DDWRT on routers still a thing people do?

7. Any

Need enough memory for a large nat table and qos tracking, with a modern enough kernel to have the kernel modules to do it.
    Also, raspberry pi is like $60 with 4gb ram vs $190 for a shitty 'business' router with 1/100 the processing power and memory and probably wont have the features necessary.
    also, don't use ddwrt, just learn about 5 Linux commands and you can setup a basic router.

*edited. I misread the post.

sbm_, nezumi, trappers and 1 other person like this.
  8. Any

Asgaard Alpine Club (also at Mt Hotham) are already onto it.
    They got Starlink also, and are already testing it out on site.
    Reports are that they're getting 111mbit down & 60mbit up.
    a 43ms baseline won't win you any competitive gaming tournaments, but I suspect its low enough to be an almost unnoticeable delay.
    sounds pretty awesome to me.

trappers, skifree and cold wombat like this.
  9. MAC

MAC Hard Yards

Thanks so much for the update.

And I’m sure it will only get better with more ground stations and satellites.

Certainly a big improvement in our existing ADSL.

10. CarveMan

I’d say they will get a massive improvement when they install it properly on the roof. It needs unobstructed views of the southern sky with no trees or buildings down to about a 35degree angle from horizontal.

I’m very much hoping mine arrives while I can still get someone up on to the roof to install it.

11. Any

it looks like they just stuck it on the balcony as a test. so better speeds to come.

12. CarveMan

Yep looks like that, pretty impressive really if the sky view was compromised in that position.

13. Any

cross post from the starlink thread

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/starlink.89069/page-2#post-4665317

trappers likes this.