Starlink Satellite now availabe.

MAC

Hard Yards
Jul 4, 2012
I have noticed Starlink satellite is now available at Mouth Hotham.

Just wondering if any lodge is thinking about purchasing the service.

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Its still in Beta.
we've already purchased, and received it. but haven't tested it yet.
20210412_143240.jpg
20210412_143257.jpg

ideally we'll use it at our apartment in Hotham Chalet, but we're members of Vagabond and The Lodge and if we're not allowed to stick it on the roof at Chalet it'll probably go to one of them. they really suffer down that end of the village for internet and 3g/4g coverage.

we're currently in Melbourne, heading up to Hotham in a week or two to test it out. Will try to keep you guys updated.

$657.18 + $90.91 shipping + $60.91 tax + $139/monthly
50-150mbit down / 50+mbit up.
supposedly eventually becoming 1000mbit/100mbit after the beta program once they have better coverage.
unlimited data allowance.
<10ms latency

Haven't seen it in action, but the panel has its own built-in heating too, designed for icey and snowy conditions.

Normal satellite internet is 20mbit down/2mbit up, 250ms latency (which is almost unusable) with a 25gb limit (useless for a lodge).

most of Hotham, even the far lodges, has access to ADSL1+ with usually around 14mbit down and 384kbit up.
14mbit is survivable so long as its not to flooded with netflix (which mind you is designed to automatically use as much bandwidth as it can).
it's that upload speed is the big killer. if anyone is uploading at the full speed of any internet connection it becomes almost unavailable, it might even appear to be disconnected. you've got guests and tourists with cloud backups, cloud photos, cloud everything enabled. they take 4gb of photos / videos during the day, come home to wifi and it tries to upload, and clog up the link for 3 hours just for them.
add to that 20 other guests doing the same thing and you've got 21 people who say "the wifi doesnt work".
its frustrating for me when i keep seeing lodges installing better and better wifi trying to solve the wrong issue.

I've setup a small raspberry pi as a smart qos htb router with routing rules to evenly share a link between users. everyone gets a minimum amount. if nobody is using their share, its split amongst everyone else. when they try to use, everyone else slows down. 90% of the time each user should get 99% of the available bandwidth, but it should mean that people can try to upload their bs cloud backup as much as they like, its only their connectivity that they effect.
this is different in comparison to most residential even commercial router's "qos" features, that simply prioritizes one protocol over another. which is effectively useless in almost all everyday scenarios.
a similar setup to this router will be key for success if a lodge wants "wifi that works". regardless of the bandwidth available, 384kbit or even 100mbit.

sbm_

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 10, 2017
Is that really the best use case for a pi? Is installing DDWRT on routers still a thing people do?

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Is that really the best use case for a pi? Is installing DDWRT on routers still a thing people do?
Need enough memory for a large nat table and qos tracking, with a modern enough kernel to have the kernel modules to do it.
Also, raspberry pi is like $60 with 4gb ram vs $190 for a shitty 'business' router with 1/100 the processing power and memory and probably wont have the features necessary.
also, don't use ddwrt, just learn about 5 Linux commands and you can setup a basic router.

*edited. I misread the post.

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Asgaard Alpine Club (also at Mt Hotham) are already onto it.
They got Starlink also, and are already testing it out on site.
Reports are that they're getting 111mbit down & 60mbit up.
a 43ms baseline won't win you any competitive gaming tournaments, but I suspect its low enough to be an almost unnoticeable delay.
sounds pretty awesome to me.

176062577_5347742015296433_308908161883418077_n.jpg
174771143_10159172602194299_8788403931742267615_n.jpg

MAC

Hard Yards
Jul 4, 2012
Thanks so much for the update.

And I’m sure it will only get better with more ground stations and satellites.

Certainly a big improvement in our existing ADSL.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
I’d say they will get a massive improvement when they install it properly on the roof. It needs unobstructed views of the southern sky with no trees or buildings down to about a 35degree angle from horizontal.

I’m very much hoping mine arrives while I can still get someone up on to the roof to install it.

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
I’d say they will get a massive improvement when they install it properly on the roof. It needs unobstructed views of the southern sky with no trees or buildings down to about a 35degree angle from horizontal.

I’m very much hoping mine arrives while I can still get someone up on to the roof to install it.
it looks like they just stuck it on the balcony as a test. so better speeds to come.

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
cross post from the starlink thread

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/starlink.89069/page-2#post-4665317

I'm still stuck in hospital, but ms pink jacket has been up at Hotham the last couple of days and managed to fit in a quick test of Starlink this afternoon before heading back to melbs.

She stuck it in the back yard, between the buildings (not ideal), and tested immediately after coming online without giving it a chance to settle in or tune up (not ideal), but it's results were already very impressive.

183281954_823521451912411_8879406286464365793_n.jpg

182802332_128900192530469_2467435750314039419_n - Copy.jpg

Afaik, those speeds will go up once it settles in and hones in on satellites better, and obviously up again once its outside of Beta.

Considering that it seems to have at least partly tested via an SG server, I'd expect even better speeds and latency of a Sydney server.

I also tried testing to/from one of my Sydney servers. However (not being there myself) it appears that its IPv4 only, and that all users are nat'ed via some box somewhere, in our case Sydney. A little disappointing that its not a pure link. There are many disadvantages to being natted, especially when there are high bandwidth devices like these. tho modern nat works pretty well I guess, and again my leap to nat is just based on some assumptions of my testing when ms pink jacket was online.
Nat may be necessary because of the handling of the traffic via dynamic satellites, but its probably more likely that they just don't have enough IP address space to allocate to users. I just hope that poor box doesn't get overloaded or whatever. If its supports upnp then we're 99% golden anyway.
(nat is a method of sharing a single ip between a bunch of users. for example, your home internet router is a nat router)

The use of nat made any tests of the link useless from my end.
mpj was in too much of a hurry to do detailed route, jitter and latency tests, or other test ]via my servers in Sydney or things like speedtest.net for me.
I will do a more thorough test when I get up there in a couple of weeks.

For now, even tho it appears to be nat, I am very satisfied that we'll have a pretty great internet connection up at mt hotham this year. especially as I am recovering and unable to ski.

Reactions: trappers
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass