1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

State Minister Missing on Feathertop

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by CarveMan, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

weerab. I'm in Melbourne. The steep snow trips are really just guided trips with a bit of instruction than proper courses. I usually do things for the mid 20's to mid 40's age group, so if I ran a mature age trip, I might have to change a few of the cultural references I make and identify different generational idiosyncrasies, but I think Boomers are more willing to take instruction than X'ers and older Y's so I wouldn't have to tone down the instructional bit with levity.

Contact me next year and I'll happily run one for you if you can get a group of about 4 to 9 people together. I won't charge (except for insurance cover) while I test if X'er instructional techniques work on Boomers. West Ridge of Buller is a good hard day trip, I've put trip notes here: http://wikiski.com/wiki/index.php/Bush_Walking#Mt_Buller.27s_West_Ridge_in_winter

Feathertop via Bungalow Spur is a medium grade weekend trip and less steep, but you'll also get a few tips on sensible snow camping while still having a nice refuge hut nearby. North West Spur on Feathertop is similar but a bit more challenging and the hut doesn't have a heating stove.

I also do practical navigation courses, again I won't charge except for insurance and $2 to cover the cost of printing notes. Where I run them depends on the season and weather. If I was doing one now, I'd probably pick Werribee River Gorge near Bacchus Marsh because it's a good area to easily understand topography and it's in a rain shadow area.

Anyway, let me know if you're interested and can get a group together for any of these, let me know. [​IMG]

#301 Bogong, Sep 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013