Steep and Cheap

Alex.C

One of Us
Oct 14, 2003
Canmore
Anyone else here keep an eye on Steep and Cheap? Its a daily specials site that appears to be part of backcountry.com. I've already gotten a few rather cheap things off there. Postage could be a killer though unless its something big (as in price not size)... Today's item looks like it'll be decent for one of you BC people who likes training heels...
(No I don't work for them
smile.gif
)

Last edited by a moderator:

EmuBob

First Runs
Oct 3, 2003
Yeah, I always check it, although now i'm back in oz I probably shan't bother. those sites are worthwhile in teh US, but become less-so here in australia. I got a massive box of thermal undies from Sierra Trading Post a week or so back and am still delighted about that.

Graeme

First Runs
Endless Winter
Sep 25, 2003
Eden
I was tempted, though I don't really need them right now. note size available is only "long", and it is generally considered best to use the shortest size that fits - less effect on ski flex and less risk of breakage. For me in Fritschis that means size medium, in size 28.5, 326mm boot.

adminvb

First Runs
Nov 11, 2013
MadSkier said:
So that might mean Im a small then? (24.5 I think)
affirmative. Small will just take a boot as large as 26.5 mm (sole length 304 mm)

Last edited:

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
Good gear, okay prices, but killer postage rates!

I want to buy the AT boots, but I don't understand their sizing. The sizes appear to be from the high 20's to the low 30's. I take a size 9 or 44, can someone convert the funny U.S. sizes?

Alex.C

One of Us
Oct 14, 2003
Canmore
Yeah the postage sucks, always helps to have someone in the US for them to ship to and ship it on.

The sizes listed are in mondo point (basically centimeters).

Checking a conversion chart such as this one should give you an idea. I'm going to assume you are 44 euro and the 9 is either a US or UK 9 that makes you somewhere between 27 and a 28 in mondo point. (trying boots on is a very good idea)...

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
IMHO: You guys are pretty brave buying boots on the web - anything else might be OK if they're cheap but boots are pretty high risk!

Can be hard enough getting the right size in the shop!

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Sizing was the only thing holding me back.

Frustratingly todays item is the womens version of a soft shell i wouldn't mind getting. Heres hoping they have the blokes one up tomorrow.

Alex.C

One of Us
Oct 14, 2003
Canmore
Snow Blowey said:
Frustratingly todays item is the womens version of a soft shell i wouldn't mind getting. Heres hoping they have the blokes one up tomorrow.
They have a habit of doing that i've noticed, guys version of an item up one day then the girls the next or vice versa so you might be in luck...

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
Thanks for the sizing help Alex C. I tried to find a Scarpa boot to try on yesterday arvo, but the retailers didn't have my size, said there wasn't much demand for ski boots in mid summer.
frown.gif
Probably serves me right for wanting to try stuff on with no intention of buying from them!

So I missed out, but now I know my Mondopoint size

Alex.C

One of Us
Oct 14, 2003
Canmore
Bogong said:
Thanks for the sizing help Alex C. I tried to find a Scarpa boot to try on yesterday arvo, but the retailers didn't have my size, said there wasn't much demand for ski boots in mid summer.
frown.gif
Probably serves me right for wanting to try stuff on with no intention of buying from them!

So I missed out, but now I know my Mondopoint size
Oh well, but as snowgum pointed out buying boots online can be risky, even among the same model of boot from the same manufacturer there can be a slight variance in size, nothing beats trying on the exact pair you are actually buying...

Alex.C

One of Us
Oct 14, 2003
Canmore
otw said:
Alex.C said:
(trying boots on is a very good idea)...
Going to be tough when you are buying them over the internet!
You could always mail them your feet for them to see if they fit in them...
laugh.gif

garry gow

First Runs
Jul 24, 2000
wollongong NSW Australia
Last year I bought T2s on sale from Black Diamond (www.bdel.com) in the US via the internet - saved about $100, maybe more. It was a bit of a risk but they fit well and I haven't even baked the liners. They have a sale on at the moment (last years T1s at $596 Aust)and prices may get cheaper as I believe they have ended their connection with Scarpa.

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Well my boots just arrived and i'd have to say they are a pretty good fit. Nice and tight at the moment but should fit a treat once they've been used a couple of days. Very light compared to the downhill boots i use.

Bring on season 2006!

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Was all set to buy some oakley sunnies, but they don't ship oakley outside the US
frown.gif
However, have just bought 2 Giro 9's from backcountry.com (same mob), saved a bit over $100. Should be here any day
laugh.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass