Steve Lee

Not sure if convo is the right place (or whether this has been reported elsewhere) but Snow Australia reporting that Steve Lee suffered a stroke at home on Sunday and was transferred to the Royal Melbourne.

"The Snow Australia family sends our sincere best wishes to Alpine Champion Steve Lee who suffered a stroke at home in Falls Creek on Sunday and was subsequently transferred to the Royal Melbourne Hospital.
Steve is well known to the Snow Australia community having represented Australia at three Olympics in 1984, 1988 and 1992. He became the second ever Australian to claim victory on the Alpine World Cup circuit in Furano, Japan in 1985. He still spends much of his life on snow with ski touring businesses at his home resort Falls Creek and in Japan during the Northern Season.
Steve faces a lengthy and challenging recovery process and we send him and his family our very best wishes."

Doesn't sound great :( Top bloke - met him quite a few times as a buddy of Buller Olympian Al Guss

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
It’s hard to comprehend this happening to Steve, the guy is like Superman. Steve boot packing the line out in fresh snow in his early 40’s and me in my early 20’s was like he was running up hill and i was left in the dust and he was doing all the work packing the trail. Hope he’s back at it ASAP
I was in the trees in Hakuba and it was like Top Gun - ‘Where’d he go? Where’d whoooooo go!’

Not a chance of following him.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Went to watch him at the '88 olympics. WOW - do those downhill boys (and girls) have balls of steal to do that!
I do get the feeling this battle will be harder for him - but gee - he is an inspriation and I hope he gets through this.
his mum got a hip replacement in her 80s so she could still ski, so if that's anything to go by ...

sastrugi

I Can't Explain
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
Taungurung Country
There's an update page (set up as an event) on FB
He was having an MRI today.

RMH stroke unit is internationally renowned, he's in such good hands. It all will depend on how long it took them to get him to hospital (fingers crossed within the 4-5 hour timeframe) and even then, that's only helpful if he had a clot, not a bleed. Fingers crossed all the stars align for a good outcome for him.

Donzah

Formerly know as Aldi whorehouse.
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2017
woonona
There's an update page (set up as an event) on FB
He was having an MRI today.

RMH stroke unit is internationally renowned, he's in such good hands. It all will depend on how long it took them to get him to hospital (fingers crossed within the 4-5 hour timeframe) and even then, that's only helpful if he had a clot, not a bleed. Fingers crossed all the stars align for a good outcome for him.
Ive heard it was quite a long time :(

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
My memories of him go back to when he was brat (in the nicest way) of a teenager. After a massive dump at Falls, there was a terrible noise on the roof of the lodge. Turns out it was a kid called Steve Lee skiing off the tops of buildings. Oh, and I share some claim to fame with him - I skied off the edge of the mountain into a tree, about 15 mins before he actually fell (!!!) in the same spot (I assume something was just under the snow).

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
My memories of him go back to when he was brat (in the nicest way) of a teenager. After a massive dump at Falls, there was a terrible noise on the roof of the lodge. Turns out it was a kid called Steve Lee skiing off the tops of buildings. Oh, and I share some claim to fame with him - I skied off the edge of the mountain into a tree, about 15 mins before he actually fell (!!!) in the same spot (I assume something was just under the snow).
The most remarkable thing about this story is the fact I never knew you actually skiidLOL

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
:(
Glad to see the fundraiser has been organised through the ASF, gives me confidence funds will go to Steve.
I want to know how this can be tax deductible....

Anyway, aside from that, it is very sad news :(

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
They probably need an ABN?

They are a registered charity, but I was surprised that they’d be allowed to accept donations for medical expenses or rehab. I would have thought they’d have to have a specific criteria as to what they could use the funds for. Interesting.

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
They are a registered charity, but I was surprised that they’d be allowed to accept donations for medical expenses. Interesting.
I see your point. Maybe they'd be better running one of those online fundraiser thingy's, like that woman did for Fire Fight...that ended up in the courts! :eek:

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
I see your point. Maybe they'd be better running one of those online fundraiser thingy's, like that woman did for Fire Fight...that ended up in the courts! :eek:

I’m just hoping that their DGR status allows for this, or they could be in trouble.

Anyway, I have great memories of the back country tour we did with him 2 years ago. Best day!

Reactions: KylePee

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
I’m just hoping that their DGR status allows for this, or they could be in trouble.

Anyway, I have great memories of the back country tour we did with him 2 years ago. Best day!
Maybe you could make contact and ask the pertinent questions? You seem to know your stuff! :)

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Please help out. Official update from the SIA below. Its worse than the statement below. Unless Steve can pull off the same kind of miracle he did when he won a WC SG race he will require 24/7 care for the rest of his life.

Steve Lee is a legend of our whole industry.

To see him struck down so suddenly and incapacitated so dramatically is confronting.

Steve has lived his life as one of the most snow addicted and passionate mountain men around. Every penny that he has made has gone back into chasing more ways to stay connected to his pure love for skiing and all things snow.

Anybody who has been blessed enough to ski with him knows the passion and positivity he brings, inevitably rubbing right off on you and making that special experience one you’ll never forget.
Right now, he needs a lot of help to get back to hopefully living a somewhat normal life and returning to the snow. Below is a brief summary of what happened, where he’s at and also a donation link if you are able to help contribute.

It was 18 hours before Steve made it to hospital from his home in Falls Creek, after being discovered in the afternoon on the floor of his bedroom by his beloved nephew Paddy. The amount of time that had elapsed between the stroke occurring and medical assistance meant that the news was not good.

Steve had suffered a large inoperable stroke, the likes of which could not be reduced with medication to prevent further impact. He was put on standby to have part of his skull removed to reduce the swelling.

He was disoriented, unsure of what was happening with paralysis down his left side. His sisters Kerry and Tracy took charge of Steve's Fight Back, supporting their mother, Noelene and family logistics.

Only days before, Steve had been testing a new inflatable rig for his backcountry snow mobile ski experience business at Falls Creek and ski touring the surrounding region. Up to this point he had only had one day of operations due to both lack of snow and COVID-19 restrictions that shut down regional Victoria and Melbourne thanks to a second wave of the virus.

"I can tell you that both Paddy and I needed support after seeing Steve for the first time a week after his stroke," says Kerry, Steve's eldest sister.

"It is very confronting. How can a young 58-year-old man, fit as any 20 year old, be lying in a prince bed, convinced he was in New Zealand planning tomorrow’s ski day and clearly with significant impairments."

Steve’s prognosis, his future needs and whether he will be able to return to Falls Creek, remains unknown. Steve will need to re-learn many of the basics we all take for granted but he has a consistent team around him and together they all need your help.

“The ski and snowboard community are a close one, we are all bonded by a love of snow, something that Steve Lee has in spades.

What he doesn't have in spades are the dollars necessary to help him through the next phase in his recovery.

The #steveleefightback fundraising platform has been put together to help him and his team. We know 2020 is tough for everyone but even if you can donate the cost of a coffee or a beer, every bit helps.”

Please follow this link to donate: http://bit.ly/SLFightback & follow and share #steveleefightback on all social platforms, as well as the ‘Steve Lee’s Support Tribe’ page on Facebook for regular updates.

You can also read Rachel Oaks-Ash’s (aka Miss Snow It All) remarkable story about Steve Lee HERE.
Thanking all who can help out in advance

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Please help out. Official update from the SIA below. Its worse than the statement below. Unless Steve can pull off the same kind of miracle he did when he won a WC SG race he will require 24/7 care for the rest of his life.

Steve Lee is a legend of our whole industry.

To see him struck down so suddenly and incapacitated so dramatically is confronting.

Steve has lived his life as one of the most snow addicted and passionate mountain men around. Every penny that he has made has gone back into chasing more ways to stay connected to his pure love for skiing and all things snow.

Anybody who has been blessed enough to ski with him knows the passion and positivity he brings, inevitably rubbing right off on you and making that special experience one you’ll never forget.
Right now, he needs a lot of help to get back to hopefully living a somewhat normal life and returning to the snow. Below is a brief summary of what happened, where he’s at and also a donation link if you are able to help contribute.

It was 18 hours before Steve made it to hospital from his home in Falls Creek, after being discovered in the afternoon on the floor of his bedroom by his beloved nephew Paddy. The amount of time that had elapsed between the stroke occurring and medical assistance meant that the news was not good.

Steve had suffered a large inoperable stroke, the likes of which could not be reduced with medication to prevent further impact. He was put on standby to have part of his skull removed to reduce the swelling.

He was disoriented, unsure of what was happening with paralysis down his left side. His sisters Kerry and Tracy took charge of Steve's Fight Back, supporting their mother, Noelene and family logistics.

Only days before, Steve had been testing a new inflatable rig for his backcountry snow mobile ski experience business at Falls Creek and ski touring the surrounding region. Up to this point he had only had one day of operations due to both lack of snow and COVID-19 restrictions that shut down regional Victoria and Melbourne thanks to a second wave of the virus.

"I can tell you that both Paddy and I needed support after seeing Steve for the first time a week after his stroke," says Kerry, Steve's eldest sister.

"It is very confronting. How can a young 58-year-old man, fit as any 20 year old, be lying in a prince bed, convinced he was in New Zealand planning tomorrow’s ski day and clearly with significant impairments."

Steve’s prognosis, his future needs and whether he will be able to return to Falls Creek, remains unknown. Steve will need to re-learn many of the basics we all take for granted but he has a consistent team around him and together they all need your help.

“The ski and snowboard community are a close one, we are all bonded by a love of snow, something that Steve Lee has in spades.

What he doesn't have in spades are the dollars necessary to help him through the next phase in his recovery.

The #steveleefightback fundraising platform has been put together to help him and his team. We know 2020 is tough for everyone but even if you can donate the cost of a coffee or a beer, every bit helps.”

Please follow this link to donate: http://bit.ly/SLFightback & follow and share #steveleefightback on all social platforms, as well as the ‘Steve Lee’s Support Tribe’ page on Facebook for regular updates.

You can also read Rachel Oaks-Ash’s (aka Miss Snow It All) remarkable story about Steve Lee HERE.
Thanking all who can help out in advance
Thx for the link - donated.

Reactions: warhol
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass