Trip Report Stirling and Buller West Ridge 7-8th July

Discussion in 'Backcountry Trip Reports' started by luke1234, Jul 11, 2018.

1. luke1234

luke1234 Hard Yards

A quick report! Fantastic snow on Saturday at Mt Stirling. Skied down through the trees and past the track at the bottom of Stanley Bowl for the first time. Some of the little gullies on that side were super super fun and fresh snow skiing between the trees!

We had a CT17 boken, non-planar layer in a couple of column tests about 20cm down in fresh wind loaded snow near the top of the bowl. ECT no propagation on that layer however.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sunday, West Ridge of Buller. Wet and windy! Good to keep moving to keep the body heat up. Skied down to the cafe for lunch, back up again, and skied down the other side, just enough snow to enjoy it, but the weather was not conducive to photos, as you can see in the summit shot! Would have been fantastic on Saturday.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AndrewA

AndrewA Addicted

Well done. I spent almost the entire weekend inside reading a book by the fire! A little confused about Buller West Ridge - you skied down, and climbed back up?

My mate's son usually seems to go all the way from ?Timbertop saddle upwards, but he also enjoys walking up 4 mile spur from the Howqua to Buller....

A

3. luke1234

luke1234 Hard Yards

Haha, thanks thanks! I'm sure the fire was enjoyable!
    After we climbed up, we skied down the Eastern side into the resort, then back up again, and skied down the West Ridge where we came up. Just enough base there now on the West side, however some bush dodging is required!

Tanuki likes this.