Question Stirling Bus 'Park and Ride'

tcornall

Hard Yards
Jul 12, 2019
Melbourne
If I drive to Mirimbah and park then catch a bus from Mirimbah to Telephone Box Junction (TBJ) before scooting off onto Mt Stirling for a multi-day ski touring/snow camping trip and then at the end catch the bus from TBJ down to Mirimbah and drive home, what are all the costs/connections involved? (Forget about costs of driving to Mirimbah although if anyone knows of a bus service from Melbourne to Mirimbah or even Stirling I'd be interested)

I've tried to work this out using the info about resort entry to Buller/Stirling but it is hard to work it out conclusively. Their book-online website is useless!!!!!!! All about Buller, nothing about Stirling.
Most of the info I have comes from:
https://www.mtbuller.com.au/Winter/plan-your-visit/getting-here/driving-private-transfers
https://www.stirlingexperience.com.au/transport/

This is what I've gleaned. Can anyone correct or confirm?
$8 per day parking at Mirimbah (or $48 per week)
Some entry fee I can't pin down, even if you don't bring a car thru the gate... Is that right?
Free Stirling Express 4WD Bus Shuttle (weekends only)
'Stirling Experience Unimog' $40 return, twice every day.

It sounds a bit less expensive driving all the way to TBJ what with the $48 car entry + $48 first night +$8 per extra night (or $26 for Fri/Sat night.) + Chain hire if you don't own them.
Any thoughts on whether it's worth it?
Thanks, Terry

tcornall

Hard Yards
Jul 12, 2019
Melbourne
Some corrections/ additions to my original post. Finally I found with some help from Buller support that to see the appropriate checkboxes on their online booking site that you have to have entered a date for a weekend and done a search in the 'taxi and parking' category. See for example (scroll to the very bottom for Stirling Express)
https://shop.mtbuller.com.au/ecomm/...ount=1&childCount=0&productsupercategoryId=13
The Stirling Express bus isn't free at all. $36 And apparently only for Day Visitors. i.e. might not work for going up one day and coming down a few days later.
Still not clear if you also need to pay for parking at Mirimbah, but I bet you do...

tcornall

Hard Yards
Jul 12, 2019
Melbourne
BTW, it really depends on who you 'online chat' with just how helpful or not the Buller support is. One person was extremely helpful, the next one was adamant that there was no bus to Stirling and if there was it was no business of theirs because they were only support for Buller....

Reactions: Chaeron

stansi

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 1, 2007
Shepparton Vic.
^^^^^^
Would You expect to use the groomed trails?
Or any other facilities within the resort?
Be rescued by the Ski Patrol?
Who do You think will be paying for Your share of the operational cost of the resort?
Do You really think the above post is wise advice?

tcornall

Hard Yards
Jul 12, 2019
Melbourne
I've discovered that there is a way to get to Stirling from Melbourne by bus that might work for me if I don't mind skiing from Buller to Stirling and back. (Or walking a bit/lot if snow is sparse)

The Alzburg Bus Tour https://alzburgtours.com.au/ people have a number of packages, and two of them are the 'day visitor' for $88 and the 'One way' from Buller to Melb for $84.
Normally the 'day visitor' is a go up in the morning and come back in the afternoon deal but they are fine with the idea that you purchase that ticket and don't come back that day, then get the one way' from Buller to Melb on another day to get back. They just ask that you let them know that you aren't coming back on the same day so that the bus driver doesn't panic when you don't turn up.

The main reason I mention this, rather than the obvious option of getting two 'one-way' tickets is that the one-way from Melb to Buller is $114 because it includes both the entry fee and a non-negotiable snow-taxi option. I'm OK with the entry fee but draw the line at paying for a snow taxi to carry me and my gear up to my non-existent resort apartment. I figure I can carry my pack up that little hill from skating rink.

As far as cost is concerned, $172 is comparable or less than what I'd otherwise pay for fuel, parking, multiple overnight parking, entry and chains if I drove up. Plus I get to snooze on the bus! The economics change rapidly when more than one person is doing the trip of course.

You do lose flexibility doing it this way of course and run the risk of missing the bus on the way home. Plus you can't stop for a nice hamburger in Mansfield. Hmmm, I might have to re-think this...

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
I've discovered that there is a way to get to Stirling from Melbourne by bus that might work for me if I don't mind skiing from Buller to Stirling and back. (Or walking a bit/lot if snow is sparse)

If that's a viable option for you, from a cost basis I'd recommend checking out Extragreen. They cater primarily to a Chinese tour market, but they offer much lower pricing on the bus transfers:
https://www.extragreen.com.au/tour/mt-buller-one-way-up/ ($68)
https://www.extragreen.com.au/tour/mt-buller-one-way-down/ ($58)

Saves $50 off the Alzburg bus option.

Reactions: tcornall

tcornall

Hard Yards
Jul 12, 2019
Melbourne
If that's a viable option for you, from a cost basis I'd recommend checking out Extragreen. They cater primarily to a Chinese tour market, but they offer much lower pricing on the bus transfers:
https://www.extragreen.com.au/tour/mt-buller-one-way-up/ ($68)
https://www.extragreen.com.au/tour/mt-buller-one-way-down/ ($58)

Saves $50 off the Alzburg bus option.

Nice. Hadn't run across them.
I use Alzburg mainly because they pick-up at Ringwood, but will definitely checkout Extragreen!
Oooh, they pickup at Glen Waverly, even better. And they don't waste an hour in Mansfield getting gear, I suspect. Looks good...

Reactions: Chaeron and nezumi

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Nice. Hadn't run across them.
I use Alzburg mainly because they pick-up at Ringwood, but will definitely checkout Extragreen!
Oooh, they pickup at Glen Waverly, even better. And they don't waste an hour in Mansfield getting gear, I suspect. Looks good...

I was looking at them for a run up to Buller in late August - my main selection criteria were the cost and the time taken, since I wanted to be on snow from Tuesday morning to Friday afternoon

tcornall

Hard Yards
Jul 12, 2019
Melbourne
I was looking at them for a run up to Buller in late August - my main selection criteria were the cost and the time taken, since I wanted to be on snow from Tuesday morning to Friday afternoon
Great, I hope the snow cooperates!
I had a bit of interaction with Jericho Zhang from the ExtraGreen company about how to book. Their online form provides a drop-down menu for selecting pickup point but the only option listed is City: Swanston st even though I was given a pickup point in Glen Waverley. (I suspect their form either needs a bit of work, or is one of those things where under some conditions you don't get to see all the options) Jericho offered to do the booking for me so we'll see how that goes.

BTW, nezumi, I haven't been able to find out when they arrive at Buller in the morning. Do you know?

tcornall

Hard Yards
Jul 12, 2019
Melbourne

BTW, nezumi, I haven't been able to find out when they arrive at Buller in the morning. Do you know?

Never mind, I found a little bit of text on their site that says, "Takes about 4 hours" so I guess, given the 6am start at Melbourne it gets into Buller about 10am.

Reactions: nezumi

tcornall

Hard Yards
Jul 12, 2019
Melbourne
Disappointingly, it appears that ExtraGreen's advertising is misleading about where you can catch their bus. So far I can see that only on some rare days in August (e.g. Friday 9th August) can I catch it at Box Hill and despite what they say elsewhere, I haven't yet found a single day on their calendar that I can catch it at Glen Waverley during August.
Still a great option if you have to travel into Swanston St anyway, but less appealing for me because I don't want to do that.
In September however, there are lots of days when the bus picks up at GW and BH. Go figure...

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Disappointingly, it appears that ExtraGreen's advertising is misleading about where you can catch their bus. So far I can see that only on some rare days in August (e.g. Friday 9th August) can I catch it at Box Hill and despite what they say elsewhere, I haven't yet found a single day on their calendar that I can catch it at Glen Waverley during August.
Still a great option if you have to travel into Swanston St anyway, but less appealing for me because I don't want to do that.
In September however, there are lots of days when the bus picks up at GW and BH. Go figure...

Well, that's a little disappointing. I know when I looked at them a little while ago it seemed like I could choose from any of the three locations when booking, but now it has reduced to Swanston St only, as you said.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass