1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Stirling TR 14/08

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by PK Sawd, Aug 15, 2005.

1. PK Sawd

PK Sawd Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Yes, I have finally been and had a ski! Have I missed something in the last couple of years or are people used to paying $50 for one day's hire of skating equipment? My mate paid the same for his light touring gear. It blew me away.

Snow was down to TBJ but the stuff at the bottom won't survive the prefrontal rain if it happens(-(s)ed). But it's always nice to go from there. Did a circuit of the Baldy loop and played on the hill at the end then headed on up the Bluff Spur trail. Snow was a mixture of slush-puppy, small rocks, and some "almost" snow. Once you went about 500m or so on the BS trail it could have been mistaken for snow and it improved from there on but was always just a little wet. Still, the wax on the skate-skis was fresh and they ran pretty well. I wish the same could be said for the driver! My heart rate kept maxing and I had to do a sort of interval session all the way up. Gastro from Wednesday to Friday probably didn't help but I wasn't going to let that get in the way of possibly my only opportunity for the season! It had the added advantage of making me quite a bit lighter.......

Winds up high had crusted the summit cover but there was softer snow in gully lines and sheltered aspects. I must say that I was delighted to be there after an absence of some 5 years. The place was looking lovely, as was the line of hills on the crosscut saw and the bluff. It's terrific with fresh snow on the faces. The trip down was great fun. Skinny skis seem less prone to stopping in the glop and dumping you on your face. I was able to manage passable short parallel turns and some Tele's too in the soft, forgiving conditions (could actually feel some rebound from the skis). So I was a tired but happy chap at the end of my day. (sorry no pics while skating)

Dreaming of just one more trip maybe.....!

2. GS

GS Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Good to hear. I am hoping this weekend will be my first ski for the season and first snow camp for some years at Stirling. I hope the snow holds on the lower trails till then as I much prefer to ski back down rather than walk!