1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

stomp pads

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by loc, Aug 4, 2008.

1. loc

loc Hard Yards

thoughts on these little devices?

are they worth it? anyone know of any good ones that don't come unstuck and actually make a difference.

had a great DC one on my old board that came with my old boots. shame i can't put it on my new board though.

2. Bingis

Bingis First Runs

I'm not going to use one for the first time this season, I reckon they only hold snow on your board anyway and lift your toes off the edge of the board.

I've seen some studs that might be ok - like separate spikes you can stick wherever - think DC might make some?

I'll get some of those if I have issues.

3. white_beanie

white_beanie Part of the Furniture

I use them - not an actual stomp pad though. I've got 6 separate bubble shaped things. They are clear and stuck on my board in 2 rows of 3. They go pretty well.

4. Dusty B

Dusty B One of Us

My mate uses the hard separate metal "nipples" (best word to describe them). Beauty is you can place them individually, and as they are one spike they don't collect snow and ice. I use a rubber one that is in the shape of a t. It has little metal spikes at each point and in the centre. I have never had a snow and ice problem on it and my boot sticks really well due to the metal spikes.

I think both lots are ocean and earth by brand.

5. Dusty B

Dusty B One of Us

Here is the linky to what I am talking about. I use the Iron Cross and my buddy uses the aluminium nipples.

Ocean and Earth stomp pads

#5 Dusty B, Aug 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  6. D16371

D16371 Guest

I dont use em. Waste of time. I dont have trouble getting off lifts ever.

7. Wizard!

Wizard! One of Us

Same here. I didnt buy one for my new board and i cant even tell the difference. They are not needed.

#7 Wizard!, Aug 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  8. ians 158

ians 158 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

They come in handy on t-bars.

9. Wizard!

Wizard! One of Us

I really cant tell any difference but it might be the because of the soles of my boots.

10. Kony_Abbott

Kony_Abbott Hard Yards

Even the area between the studs gets clogged with ice anyway. Depends on how far apart you place 'em I guess...

11. Rensburg

Rensburg First Runs

I've got the triangle stud plates (in the O&E link above) and find they always provide grip even if the snow builds up around them. I cant understand how people get away with not using them, you'd have to be pretty bloody good to do a fast transfer, like the one from gotcha lift across the dip at the top of Marys Slide, without any grip under your back foot.

12. D16371

D16371 Guest

You just push your rear foot against your bindings. Works fine for me.

13. cheapie

cheapie First Runs

i've recently put studs on my board and like them. pretty easy to knock the snow out from inbetween them...

even against the back binding, a clean deck feels a touch too slippery for my taste.

14. buhdlik

buhdlik First Runs

Get the chunkiest thing you can find. Mine is pretty chunky and works perfect

15. loc

loc Hard Yards

thats why the DC one was great. found a dakine one that looks the goods though

#15 loc, Aug 5, 2008
  16. Mr. Mook

Mr. Mook One of Us

Only time I ever had trouble controlling a board was a rental with no stomp pad.
    I use the honeycomb shape from O&E and find it works well especially when using t bars

17. rangerider

rangerider A Local

Got some Burton studs on my board and they do the trick, they seem to be a bit more grippy than the stomp pads I've had in the past.

18. JudgeJunk

JudgeJunk First Runs

I had a stomp pad on my board..but it came off early in the season..i have not replaced it since..I would think they might come in handy on tbars early on but i have resisted urge to purchase another as i think it actually helps you improve riding on these bars of death!!.. (i hate tbars!!!)

#18 JudgeJunk, Aug 8, 2008
  19. People people People.

Firstly, when putting on your stomp pad be sure it is 24 hours before you board.

be sure to clean it with an alcohol based cleaner first.

Place your pad/stick in 22+ celcius environment, at least 24 hours prior to boarding

Ocean n Earth are good

Have fun

nipples are great, as are the rubber base plates with aluminium nipples (though they can break out of this shell)

20. asmith

asmith Hard Yards

I never used a stomp pad until I axed myself one day. I just have 4 simple Burton nipples, they don't clog snow and is just a little grip when needed.

21. SAMBO_80

SAMBO_80 First Runs

They do work, anyone who says they dont is kidding themselves. Just knock the snow off before you get on the lift. Throw a bit of snow about and you will see that it gathers on the tip and tail not just where your stomp pad is! Good point about T-Bars, much better to have your boots on rubber than sliding around on a slick, wood or laminex surface. Its all good to push your foot against ya back binding but ya never know who's gonna whack yor board out from under ya feet or stop in front of ya.. The More Grip The Better!!!!

22. Zeroz

Zeroz A Local Ski Pass: Gold

So this is why boarders thump their boards against the snow in the lift line.

I always thought it was a territorial marking ritual, or the snowboarder mating call.

#22 Zeroz, Aug 13, 2008
  23. Wizard!

Wizard! One of Us

Im not saying they dont work. Its just that i cant tell the difference without one, so i have no need to put one on. T-bars, Skating i have no problem with. But if it feels better/ gives for more grip for some people ten they should go with one. I guess its just a preference thingy.

#23 Wizard!, Aug 13, 2008
  24. SAMBO_80

SAMBO_80 First Runs

yeah guess so.. go with what you like!

25. D16371

D16371 Guest

I notice the difference with them on for sure. I had one but it fell off. But using without one i was fine so i didn't bother replacing it.

26. Ben Lomond Brad

Ben Lomond Brad Part of the Furniture

On my old board (old being about 15years old) I have a rectangular piece of clear grip tape, like used for skateboards. It is flat and just provides enough of a rough surface to have under my boot. Unfortunately I have never been able to find anything as good tor replace it, but on other boards have a nitro circle one which is just a sponge rubber circle, and will probably look at somehting differrent for my burton

27. Donza

Donza Pool Room

#27 Donza, Aug 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  28. Wizard!

Wizard! One of Us

Haha, i love thanks brain. 2:00 till 2:04 is sweet! Im gonna try it on the picnic table at Buller.