1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Storing boots/helmet in car for summer

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by FNM, Mar 26, 2020.

1. FNM

FNM Early Days

Hi guys,

So far I’ve had two plane tickets cancelled and looks like we will be making a mad dash to Vancouver to catch a direct flight to Melbourne.

Due to time restrictions, car will be going into cheap storage - secure location, paved ground, but outside (no shelter). I may buy a car cover - do they keep cars cool in the sun?? .. I’m guessing this virus won’t be under control for several months so I imagine the car will be sitting there through summer.

I planned on leaving all my ski gear but then read about rodents getting into cars and worried they’d do damage, as well as possibly heat. At this stage I’m planning on leaving skis/poles and ski bag. How do you think boots, helmet and goggles would go sitting in the car? Having some difficulty packing my luggage...

Cheers

2. Slowman

Slowman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

A light coloured cover would help a bit if the car is a dark colour. Aluminium poles could cope with the heat. Skis - not so sure. I suspect the plastics and foam in boots, helmets and goggles would suffer a bit. If you have only have a bit of room and the goggles are expensive pack them. If you have a bit more space and they are worth a bit try to bring the boots or helmet as well. If they are old you may as well just leave them in the car.

FNM likes this.
  3. FNM

FNM Early Days

that was my thinking as well - prioritise the boots. I’ll be leaving the car in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island and I’ve just read that the temperatures rarely reach higher than 26 with an average around 22. That’s a bit cooler than I was thinking it would be.

All my gear was new this season and all at the higher end of quality (but found on discount).

4. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Skis can delaminate if exposed to very high temperatures. It is the glass windows in a car that really concentrate the heat. An external car cover would help reduce the heat. I think if you have the windows covered it wouldn't be a problem at those type of temperatures.

FNM likes this.
  5. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them Ski Pass: Gold

Strap the skis under the car ? Sunlight being the killer.

6. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Grab a couple of/quad of plastic crates, put the car cover over the plastic crates giving an air space. It may not be perfect but it should help a bit, even better if you can find any are the foam boxes still used to ship seafood in, styrofoam plus dead air space. Depending on the size of the car you may need a half dozen. Tie the cover down very very well too. Perhaps a sheet of aluminised styrofoam building insulation board cut to fit over that airspace would work better

FNM likes this.
  7. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

boots will stink out the car and possibly grow mould - remove liners and take with

FNM and DidSurfNowSki like this.