1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

"Subject to weather conditions some lifts...

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by cwpski, Jul 23, 2007.

1. cwpski

cwpski Hard Yards

"Subject to weather conditions some lifts may operate on demand"

The above line seems to be stock standard for the Perisher Blue snow report this season. Is it just me, or does it not make sense??

I think it should be saying, "some lifts may operate on demand" - where the demand comes from the public / crowds etc - not the weather. I cannot see what the weather has to do with lifts operating on demand? Or maybe the statement should say that "lift operation may be affected by the weather".

Anyway - spent the last 4 days down at PB. Great sunny days, good temps saw the snow quality stay great all day. Crowds were manageable as well.

2. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I suspect they mean if it is really windy, then they won't be open. If it isn't windy and the demand is there, then they will open.

3. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

One fine sunny day a few weeks ago I asked why the Mt P triple was not running when the queue at the double was 15mins. The answer was "it will open when the demand is required but if we open it now then there will be no one one using this lift" (the Mt P double)

From this I gather that "on demand" means "when the queue gets big enough". On another note, I got my excellent turns in waiting for the Ridge to open on a powder day. It finally opened at 11:00am which was pretty slack effort given that it had been running fine the day before.

On another note the T bars where not even attached to International lift until the third week of the school holidays. Again that is very, very slack management.

I had never heard the "on demand" excuse before so I guess this is the latest company policy that seeks to grab more and deliver less.

The Mt P double then dripped oil and crap all over my nice Phenix jacket.

One continues to get the impression that NORGAF about customer service and lifting provision at ski resorts.

4. iShred

iShred First Runs

Lifts Open On Demand

Today some lifts were open on demand- Blaxland T-bar centre valley, Sturt T-bar front valley, zappys ropetow and wills T-bar Smiggins, Pony ropetow and snowsports ropetow blue cow yerrrrp

5. Principal Douglas

Principal Douglas A Local

Re: Lifts Open On Demand

Those lifts don't access any terrain that you can't access from other lifts so it doesn't really matter does it?

6. Disaster

Disaster Hard Yards

OH HELL YEAH IT MATTERS !!!!
    When you pay $95 a day they fricken well better open every god damn lift they can....why should you stand in one single que anywhere if there are lifts sitting idle.
    they just want to save money by not paying lifties for the day.
    I love center valley and when i was there last week and the lifts were closed i was VERY pissed off.

HEY perisher blue... OPEN YOUR LIFTS !!!!.

7. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

Well, who wooda thunk it!
    [​IMG]

#7 Charlie, Jul 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  8. Disaster

Disaster Hard Yards

I fricken HATE ski resorts.
    they really have you by the balls.
    But what can you do......nothing..... except complain.

9. Oyster

Oyster First Runs

Disaster you can hate the ski resort but what does it serve going off on a forum on the internet?

And can you please take out the swear words? I don't want my kids reading that.

10. mr_snowtragic

mr_snowtragic First Runs

CWP, agree the statement does not make any sense.

Not only are some of the lifts kept closed to save on wages, but maitenance alsoseems a bit of a drama - Brumby has been running on half capacity for at least 10 days now, Piper broke down at lunch time yesterday.

Four good days skiing? I seem to recall you struggled on day 1!

11. Disaster

Disaster Hard Yards

Red Oyster...
    appoliges for the swear.....but if your kids are over 6 years old its nothing new to them i bet.
    and whining in this forum is good....the ski resorts love this shi.... sorry, stuff. they do read it and just maybe they will do something. but dont hold your breath.
    Hey PB PLEASE open your lifts so i can ride.

12. Oyster

Oyster First Runs

thanks [​IMG]

#12 Oyster, Jul 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  13. scottski

scottski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Friday 27th Perisher was on Lightning and wind hold. The Lifties were sent home at 11 am. Virtually nothing opened all day. An early call, the weather had lifted by midday and there was patches ofblue sky around 1pm.

Also, dont expect the lift to open early if there is a big freeze overnight. There are virtually no staff available to to de-ice the lifts and open them across the resort.

14. Perisher Rep

Perisher Rep First Runs

Its all about understanding how resorts should operate in a responsible and sustainable way. Whilst we may not get it right evey day, we do try.

This response from the perisher Blue CEO in his PB Blog sums it up well.

Perisher Blue has a number of areas of the resort that are serviced by duplicate lifts. Examples of these are Burke and Wills in Smiggins, Blaxland and Wentworth in Centre Valley, Sturt and the V8 in Front Valley and the Double and Triple Chairlifts on Mt Perisher. Visitation to the resort greatly varies during the week and generally peaks on weekends. From time to time if one of these duplicate lifts can service demand without creating lift queues we may close the other. The same skiing terrain is still accessible.

Lifts use a reasonable amount of electricity. I am conscious that running duplicate lifts when there is insufficient demand for the lift wastes electricity and generates unecessary GHG’s that contribute to climate change and threaten future of snowsports.

From my experience, many major resorts in the world that operate duplicate lifts and have large variations in midweek to weekend visitation adopt this practice.

As to late opening , have a look at the Blog on Late lifts opening due to de icing (need to scroll down a little) and this might assist in some understanding of what is required some mornings to get lifts operating.

Hope this helps

#14 Perisher Rep, Jul 31, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  15. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

Thanks for the reality check, PB Rep!

16. dawooduck

It appears that PB management has decided that our $95 lift ticket only gives us access to lifts that open at the discretion of the management based on said managements decision on what length lift queue the purchasers are able to tolerant before they complain about lifts not operating.

That is a NEW and interesting policy.

One key point is that the PB double is a dog of a slow old lift but will always open first due to the fact that it has a restaurant at the bottom. This means that due to this new on demand lifts policy the customer is required to wait in line to ride a piece of poo lift until such time as the queue blows out when they can access a better, faster lift. In my experience this season a 15 min wait appears to be the PB management lift queue tolerance limit.

Thanks for that ...

Another interesting policy is the one where no one (lifties, yellow jackets) has a clue as to what lifts are open and\or closed and the lift information boards are all busted. I can sympathise with the lifties (no one tells them anything) but when a yellow jacket has no clue at all and says things like "how would I know, do I look like I have a radio" it just reinforces the impression that customer service is very much on the slide at PB.

It appears that the PB management has now deemed it the responsibility of the customer to continually check for lifts that may or may not be open before accessing a particular run.

Another weird policy is the third degree inquisition one gets when you ask for a ticket tie at the ticket window. That is a very weird experience when asking for a .000001 cent cable tie.

It appears that yet another increase in ticket cost again returns less value.

PB is a great mountain but IMHO management appears to be slipping more and more into ground hog day mode .... yawn, yeh mate as long as the lifts are open by 10:00am no worries mate, just another day in the office, if it snows they will come, take ya time.

17. dawooduck

It helps PB but not the customer. GHG has now become the excuse for tardy operating practises and in my experience, other than a dual TB setup or early\late season, resorts around the world run their lifts on time and as often as possible.

#17 dawooduck, Jul 31, 2007
  18. iShred

iShred First Runs

Stuff Maaaaaaate!

19. Disaster

Disaster Hard Yards

Well said Dr woodduck.....I wholeheartedly agree.
    I have been rideing at PB for 18 years now and up until this year have been very happy with management(i think it changed recently?). i also have worked for PB for 4 years and was up until recently on the PB ski patrol (vol).
    it used to PB alwayas had as many lifts open as possible but now it seems the old "50 lifts open" statement is a blatant lie every day. why dont they just say "we expect 42 lifts open and we may open more if we feel like it but still charge the same amount."
    It seems to me if you can open 50 lifts but only open 8o% of them then, they should discount tickets by 20%for that day.
    I pay for the lifts, so open the lifts.
    PB has definately dropped the ball on this one.

20. dawooduck

I have been skiing at PB since 1976 and this year it was glaringly obvious that lift opening times and operating program is no longer the priority it once was.

It looks and smells a lot more like a staffing issue\money saving program than any global warming, icing or discretionary opening program.

It smells a lot like the lift day does not start until 8:30am with a limited number of staff who then work their way around the mountain getting things running at whatever time they can.

So much for the old "open on time or else" goals that once prevailed.

21. scottski

scottski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

And lets cover up all of the lift indicator boards so you don't really know what is going on.

It's a bit like closing down the complaints department and then publishing your annual report saying complaints dropped this year by 97%.

22. cwpski

cwpski Hard Yards

I also recall reading that PB advertise that in order to reduce greenhouse gases they will by trying to reduce grooming hours this ski season (I cannot recall the exact publication, but am currently searching for it...).

I cannot believe they advertise that in the interests of the environment they are running less lifts and grooming less terrain. I am surprised they do not say they are running the lifts slower, providing less trains (tube) and reducing snowmaking to save power.

I am sure most (some) snow uers are environmentally aware, but when skiing costs an arm and a leg, I do not want to wait in lift lines longer than i have too, because PB management deems it ok for lift lines to be X minutes long.

Of course, PB may have had an environmental transformation over the summer, but the cynic inside says it is a simple money saving ploy.

#22 cwpski, Aug 1, 2007
  23. Principal Douglas

Well said.

If you can't accept this then you need to lighten up a little and not be so cynical [​IMG]

#23 Principal Douglas, Aug 1, 2007
  24. cwpski

cwpski Hard Yards

I don't think i would ever blindly accept the output of a company's marketing department.

If you think about it from the perspective of the PB finance team - "Wow - you mean we can now save money on lift ops / lift employees by getting marketing to push out this stuff about our environmental awareness"

Marketing - "Yep, the public is coming to accept this environmental stuff, so yeah, we can pump it out big time this season, and there should not be too big a backlash (except on that Moosh forum by a few randon people with nothing better to do)"

I know that if i owned PB, thats what i would be doing! I would save some money, and look environmentally responsible. Yeah!

25. Principal Douglas

There's obviously more than one benefit for not running all lifts everyday.

I really don't see what the big deal is. So what if a few lifts that don't access any new terrain aren't running? You can still ski on that terrain, just from other lifts.

If it's the 'reporting all lifts open but not actually running all lifts' that is the problem.... Well maybe the resort should just report "however many lifts operating accessing 100% of the mountain". That way you know that you can ski everywhere but a few pissy little lifts will be closed. Oh no.

26. dyl2464

dyl2464 First Runs

Thredbo 8.30am, all lifts open
    ridge chair 9.30am
    can't open earlier due to grooming and making it safe.
    However they could run it in 2006 with rocks sticking out?
    when it does open there are allready tracks right down the middle. Good look to the staff but the public knows, hence the transfer of competent skiers to Thredbo.
    PB can't open the lift no matter what the weather because they think they don't have to. You have paid your money what are your options- swallow their "getting the run ready"" line or go elsewhere.

27. iShred

iShred First Runs

yeeehhh blackbooks [​IMG] mad series

#27 iShred, Aug 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  28. dyl2464

dyl2464 First Runs

PB knows where the money is or was....
    new inexperienced riders who don't know any better and except their explanations.
    but now they are not comming back
    how's the visitor numbers in 2007
    down to 2006 level
    why
    no value
    how about the ticket is priced on the avaiable lifts on useable hours.
    then they would open all lifts dawn to dusk.

29. iShred

iShred First Runs

i see what ya mean

30. dyl2464

dyl2464 First Runs

what is this rubbish

This response from the perisher Blue CEO in his PB Blog sums it up well.

Perisher Blue has a number of areas of the resort that are serviced by duplicate lifts. Examples of these are Burke and Wills in Smiggins, Blaxland and Wentworth in Centre Valley, Sturt and the V8 in Front Valley and the Double and Triple Chairlifts on Mt Perisher. Visitation to the resort greatly varies during the week and generally peaks on weekends. From time to time if one of these duplicate lifts can service demand without creating lift queues we may close the other. The same skiing terrain is still accessible.

Lifts use a reasonable amount of electricity. I am conscious that running duplicate lifts when there is insufficient demand for the lift wastes electricity and generates unecessary GHG’s that contribute to climate change and threaten future of snowsports.

you pay around $200 per day to stay and ski and the management thinks you should wait, in the sub zero temperature,for lifts in order to reduce climate change while the owner of PB and guests fly to France for a marriage.
    thats fair, i'd be happy with that.

#30 dyl2464, Aug 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013
  31. dyl2464

dyl2464 First Runs

someone said

If you can't accept this then you need to lighten up a little and not be so cynical

or go to Thredbo

#31 dyl2464, Aug 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013
  32. Ian D

Ian D Pool Room Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Views have been aired, management has answered.