1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Suggested entry level black runs

Discussion in 'Mt Buller' started by NjB, Jun 7, 2015.

1. NjB

NjB Hard Yards

As the title suggests what are the best entry level black runs at Buller for someone who wants to take the next step to the "easy" blacks?

From what I can gather the only groomed runs are Howqua and Men's Downhill - is that correct?

I have skied Howqua several times and can get to the bottom fine though not what I would call graceful. Would Men's Downhill be the next step? From the few YouTube vids I can see it looks like a nice run.

On a side note: What the heck is Howqua Extension? - Is that just the bit of Howqua at the bottom between Koflers T-Bar & the Howqua chair?

2. wolly

wolly One of Us

the toboggain run on a sunday morning

miss_b_haven and Sadie like this.
  3. derwent

derwent One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Howqua extension is the direction of arms and legs just before arriving at the lift queue ;)

4. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Would it be fair to say if you're looking for an easy black then your skills are not quite there yet?

There is a big difference in being able to get to the bottom of a black on skis and being able to *ski* a black.

5. DbSki

DbSki Old n' Crusty

Going to a steeper run is not the "next step" in skiing.
    The only lesson it will teach you (the hard way) is not to go down that run again.
    The next step is lessons.

If you want to expand the terrain you ski on then get a map of the runs and look for blue ones.
    You wont find them wandering around on the main drags with wll the other punters but they are all on the map.
    Chances are there are a few blue runs you have not skied yet so try them.

Buller is one place you do need to look at the map to find the runs, most dont and end up missing half the runs in the resort because they are simply not all laid out in such a way that is obvious.

#5 DbSki, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  6. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

IMO Mens Downhill is the next one to try. The bottom of it is steep.

You have answered your own question about Howqua Extension.

All the other advice above is generally good advice, although possibly a little presumptuous. Have you skied most or all of the blue runs?

7. MickM

MickM One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

It also depends on conditions too. Fresh snow is easier and if enough falls smooths out the bumps. Mens Downhill would be a good option but watch your speed. Can be icy and be careful of out of control punters on weekends.

Also, sometimes in good years they groom Cow Camp & Fall Line. Though Fall Line may be too tough for you at the bottom.

IMHO, if it is a good year you can't go past Dam Run for a harder Blue, still my favorite run when on.

Having said that, try not to go too above your level as you will lose confidence. As others have said, get a private lesson. Good chance to work on skills while probably be shown runs you never knew existed.

Have fun

dr80 likes this.
  8. NjB

NjB Hard Yards

Most of the blue runs but not all - never bothered with Chamois and maybe one or two of the Boggy Creek runs.

Wholeheartedly agree I need lessons and that there is a difference between making it down a run and actually skiing it. But the time will come when I want to try more advanced runs and to avoid accidentally ending up on some mogully black I was curious as to what the next after Howqua would be. Steeps don't particularly scare me as long it is wide & groomed - then I can "ski" the run - it is narrow uneven terrain that does and I won't be going anywhere near that for the foreseeable future - or at least until I have had many one-on-one lessons.

On a side note I find the south side of the mountain is poorly sign-posted for those who do not know the mountain and you need to have a good idea of the exact location of the run you are going to before you even try to approach it.

9. NjB

NjB Hard Yards

Just realised that tried Brumby, Colt etc yet either - will try those too.

Also noticed Buller still hasn't updated their interactive map - still has Burnt Hut Carpets etc. Dave Clark said he was going to update that a year ago in the forum posting Trail Map out of date?.

10. MickM

If you are unsure of where you are going you WILL end up somewhere you don't want to be, esp on the south of the mountain.

Wide groomed steep=Blue IMO.

Private lesson's are like having a guide on the mountain. Take a lesson and then practice the skills on the same terrain you were taken on.

11. travelislife

travelislife One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

You can work your way around on summit slide and the grimus chair. If you find you are comfortable you can traverse across at the top and drop some different lines back down towards the main run.

miss_b_haven likes this.
  12. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

NjB,
    When you are skiing those steeper blues or wide blacks and feeling confident, try the next lap or even a short section with short turns. Ski it like it's narrow. You've got the fall back of making a wide turn if you come unstuck, but I found if you run 'drills'of the skills you'll need for the next step up in difficulty, then by the time you point the skis down that narrow steep black it won't be so scary ;)

Sadie, NjB and MickM like this.
  13. dr80

dr80 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Also Yurelda and top half of Federation then cut left onto cat track and back to Southside
    chair

Claude Cat likes this.
  14. jgm

jgm Addicted

IMO the easiest progression is to start on Summit on skiers left & getting closer to the lift line. Then proceed to skiers right of the lift line and progressing further to the right & down Howqua. The RHS of the lift is black, & gets progressively harder as you go further out.

15. DbSki

DbSki Old n' Crusty

Yep

To the OP, Summit provides a progressivley more difficult slope the farther right you go, it's all out on the open and wide, and if it gets too much you can just traverse left back to the milder slope of summit and are not committed to continuing down the steeper part.
    Try Slalom Gully, if you can do that ok move over more to Fast One.
    They all end up down at Howqua

FatBoyDave and miss_b_haven like this.
  16. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

My two cents - it's often the late arvo bumps that make Howqua ext Black. ESP on warmer days.

Not such a hard drop with freshly groomed / non-icy cover - IMO!

Not the 'vertigo' feeling as on the far skiers-right of Summit.

17. NjB

NjB Hard Yards

Yeah bumps are not my thing - yeah yeah if you can't do bumps you can't ski :p

I won't be doing anything other than Howqua soon - just wanted to know the next one to progress to when I am ready. Men's Downhill seems the go seeing that it is a groomed run - the only issue is that you can't suss it out from a distance to see its condition before attempting it as there is no easier alternative once you get there! At least with Howqua you can head down Family Run and look at Howqua at the bottom of the chair first.

At Hotham you can easily check out the condition of some of the black runs at the top of Heavenly Valley and if they are in a suitable condition you just head on to Milky Way or Mother Johnson's Return

18. MickM

Hotham groom black runs a lot more than Buller.

19. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Is that just a standard policy? Happy to open up more of the mountain to upper blu skiers? More resources? Colder snowpack? An interesting comparison!

20. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

There really isnt too many places that will freak you out on Buller if you are looking for those kind of runs. Stay away from Sun Valley, Federation, Wombat Bowl and skiers left of Grimus and you will be pretty much right. There's usually a bail-out for every other area where you can slide across to get out if you find it too challenging for you.

21. kimberlee81

kimberlee81 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

22. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

The traverse from around Abom Restaurant area to Abom Chair (or whatever the hell it is called these days) mid afternoon is some of the scariest terrain I have done at Buller.

23. miss_b_haven

miss_b_haven One of Us

where she's a Heavenly body amidst Heavenly bodies
    This.
    And this.
    And that.
    Those areas are wide open, clearly visible (well, on the few select days without fog, anyway ;) ), inclines gradually increasing so you can choose how steep you do or don't want to go, easy return across to blues if the black areas are too daunting. Have fun @NjB :thumbs: