Suggestions for a 3 week Euro trip

Incider

One of Us
May 20, 2011
Ok, looking for opinions for where to go.

Me: Fairly competent rider
Wife: Timid learner skier

When: boxing day 2015 for about 3-4 weeks.

Current line of thinking is to fly Brisbane to GVA, then head to Chamonix for 7 nights with UCPA as its really cost effective and I like the idea of a bit of instruction at the start of the trip. I also want to do the VB.

After that I want to take wifey to a few other resorts across France, Switzerland, Austria. For some reason I'm not really interested in Italy.

I'd like to take her to Zermatt (I've been twice) if its convenient, but not really too bothered if it is too awkward.

I've been to St Anton, lech etc and have no real desire to return on this trip.

Would like to do it by public transport if possible

Resorts I'm thinking of: Solden, Iscghl, St Moritz

Probably looking to spend 3 to 5 days in each resort and want do it relatively cheap.

Anyone got suggestions?

Heinz

Fully vaccinated and travelling again!
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
"relatively cheap" and "Switzerland" don't really go together.

Have a look at this region covered by a single pass. For 4 weeks a season pass is worth considering or maybe a 10 day flexi pass or just combine a couple of multi pass (what I did this year).
http://www.salzburgerland.com/en/ski-board/super-ski-card/salzburg-super-ski-card.html
Pick a few different bases or use public transport or car to get around. eg. Saalfelden has ski buses to Leogang (Saalbach-Hinterglemm) and Maria Alm (Hochkonig) and maybe Zell am See.

Last edited:

Summit

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Nov 25, 2004
Perth
Starting your trip early season in late December, I'd suggest a few high altitude resorts to start. As the Mrs hasn't been to Zeramtt, I'd fly into Geneva and ski there first, maybe get straight off the train and walk a few metres to Hotel Bahnhof. It's cheap and I had a look in one of the rooms when I was there 4 years ago, looked Ok to me, and close to the train up to Gornegrat. After a few days there catch the Glacier Express to St Moritz for a ski, and then work your way over to Austria.

Reactions: LMB
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

DVP

Addicted
Aug 14, 2002
Reading, UK
Would there be merit in getting the Chamonix superpass (or whatever it is called) and spending time in Chamonix, Courmayer and Verbier? Could possibly get a season pass going for that long and then you are experiencing 3 resorts in 3 countries on one pass. Not much travel involved either. If you are set on Zermatt you could get the train from Verbier pretty easily (though as others have said it won't be cheap)

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Chamonix is not a good place for a timid learner. Piolet also makes a good point that it's best to ski there later when you have your ski legs.

As Heinz said there's nothing cheap about Switzerland. It's really really bad.

Somewhere like Flaine could be perfect - town isn't the most attractive but the views make up for it and it's ideal for a lower end skier. Look anywhere in the Grand Massif or even Portes du Soleil as a French alternative.

Europe skiing tends to revolve around weekly packages with a Saturday changeover. In 2010 we did a week in each of Verbier, Chamonix and Val d'Isere on that model.

hpsauce

A Local
Ski Pass
May 19, 2008
Don't rate st Moritz. Does nothing really well except posh hotels and expensive food.

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Ski Pass
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
Select resorts with good novice slopes at high altitude. Novice wont get the full experience if they are stuck in the valley floor. Partner would love a place like Lauterbrunnen/ Wengen Murren

Reactions: LMB

Incider

One of Us
May 20, 2011
Thanks all - some sage advice!

Isn't it amazing how much you forget about this stuff when you've been back in Oz for a few years.

To answer some of the advice thus far:

1) Not absolutely stuck on Zermatt, but figured wifey would find it pretty, it's fairly high & with a glacier, easy skiing at top of the hill and novelty factor for skiing into Italy. (and matterhorned shaped pizzas for dinner).

2) Been to Flaine. Didn't really rate it, but probably quite good for a beginner. Would prefer to try somewhere else.

3) UCPA have instruction for all levels and figured it was better to get some lessons at the start of the trip, rather than at the end.

4) Really keen on doing the VB, but agree, yes, this may be best pushed to the back end of the trip for more snow sure options.

5) If were to make a big difference to our available options we can hire a car, albeit it pains me to see it sit in the car park for a week at a time - and I do like catching the trains in Europe.

So where does that leave me?? Well maybe Italy isn't such a bad idea after all.

So I'm thinking: Livigno, Ischgl, - Zermatt, Chamonix but fly into Milan and out of GVA - thoughts?

Budgiesmuggler

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2010
Ischgl is a good beginner / intermediate resort, lots of runs for easy cruising.

Summit

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Nov 25, 2004
Perth
Well I'll be...been to Zermatt 3 times and didn't know you could get a Matterhorn shaped pizza !

Go the trains, awesome way to get around Western Europe.

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Ski Pass
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
Go to the SKI CIRCUS aka SAALBACH. Novices can ski in every area accomplished skiers can thanks to brilliant network of piste and lift construction. Its known as a Shnee Loch ie. cops big dumps. Ive seen 4 metres in 72 hours; the record 2005 and never had a problem with snow early Jan. Every imaginable Apreski and acomm. Awesome off piste ; some of which is hard to find. The big news is the new link with FIEBERBRUNN resort via 10 seat Gondola 15/16 season. Fieberbrunn is on the World FREERIDE comp circuit . I will be there Jan 9-23 and happy to give anyone a tour about or show off piste. Bring Beacon, probe and STROH RUM

Reactions: Zimboo and piolet

Pat42

One of Us
Feb 18, 2008
would love to know the average snowfall amounts for some of these resorts, i know that lech gets about 7 meters at resort level

i have heard fieberbrunn gets alot of snow

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Select resorts with good novice slopes at high altitude. Novice wont get the full experience if they are stuck in the valley floor. Partner would love a place like Lauterbrunnen/ Wengen Murren
Grindelwald also. Just a touch further along the train line. That whole area is delightful.

Incider

One of Us
May 20, 2011
Go to the SKI CIRCUS aka SAALBACH. Novices can ski in every area accomplished skiers can thanks to brilliant network of piste and lift construction. Its known as a Shnee Loch ie. cops big dumps. Ive seen 4 metres in 72 hours; the record 2005 and never had a problem with snow early Jan. Every imaginable Apreski and acomm. Awesome off piste ; some of which is hard to find. The big news is the new link with FIEBERBRUNN resort via 10 seat Gondola 15/16 season. Fieberbrunn is on the World FREERIDE comp circuit . I will be there Jan 9-23 and happy to give anyone a tour about or show off piste. Bring Beacon, probe and STROH RUM

Interesting. thanks. I'll need to look into that one.

Reactions: Drewboy
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Zimboo

A Local
Aug 28, 2014
Another one for SKI CIRCUS. (with Fieberbrunn linked - that's a huuuuuuge area to explore).
Not too far away is something else worth considering.
January 19-24 (2016) = Kitzbuhel.
Best world cup downhill in the world, amazing festival, worth doing once in your life. IMO

Reactions: Kletterer

Heinz

Fully vaccinated and travelling again!
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Reactions: Kletterer

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Ski Pass
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
Viewed the Kitz Streif twice. Awesome. 80 000 plus spectators, most of them boozing. T he bottom gets crowded and the better views are higher up but its very steep and slippery to get to. Good to have those mini crampons that fit regular shoes/ runners.

Reactions: Zimboo
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass