1. Coronavirus #StayHome

Official Advice

- People in Australia must stay at least 1.5 metres away from others and gatherings are limited to two people unless you are with your family or household.
    - If you believe you may have contracted the virus, call your doctor (don’t visit) or contact the national Coronavirus Health Information Hotline on 1800 020 080.
    - If you are struggling to breathe or experiencing a medical emergency, call 000.

Information Resources Mental Health Note: This announcement may be closed & This announcement will be reset every few days.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Summer accomodation in Falls/Mt Beauty/Tawonga/Bright?

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Rush, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Rush

Rush Pool Room

Any recommendations for accomodation the break between the Boxing Day and New Year?

Requirements are :

a) Pool
    b) Self-catering
    c) Child friendly (i.e. not six flights of stairs)
    d) Provisions reasonably nearby (i.e. milkbar/ supermarket)
    e) Area for kids to run around in.

What is around (and open) this time of year on the hills? Any recommendations in the valley?

2. Doonks

Doonks Let's cook! Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

send a PM to Currawong, she lives in Mt B

3. Rush

Rush Pool Room

Good idea [​IMG]

#3 Rush, Nov 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  4. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

A rough star rating would be useful. We don't know what standard of accommodation you want.

Some 20 year olds and a surprising number of crusty oldies view a backpackers as the height of luxury. (The aroma drifting from the communal bathrooms and the invertebrate fauna in the kitchens only add to the "cultural experience".)

Others think a 4½ star is slumming it.

Most people are looking for about 3½ stars.

Another question is how afraid of stairs are you? You won't get anything at Falls without a few stairs...

5. Rush

Rush Pool Room

3 stars and up would be a good start... i.e. beds, not bunks, reasonable sized bathrooms.

We've done the Youth Hostels with kids. They are fun, but we'd prefer to laze around a nice pool in the afternoon and let the kids have a paddle.

6. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Pretty Valley, Nelse, Falls Creek Country Club, Julians,Falls Creek Motel and Astra all have pools. None of them are too far from Supermarkets, although Pretty Valley would be the closest.

7. Rush

Rush Pool Room

What do you guys think of the pros/cons of staying on the hill against staying in the valley?

8. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

It rather depends on what you are intending to do in the region. I have only ever stayed on the hill, as I owned the accommodation at the time. If you want to tour the area then I would advise you to stay in the Valley, but if you know people on the hill and intend to party a bit, then it may be better to stay up there.
    Currawong would know the Valley better than most as I think she lives in Tawonga.

9. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I've already PMd PG directly.

but in summary

I think Mt Beauty is more family friendly in summer. bike hire, bmx track, bike paths, skate park, lake & riverfishing, tennis, horse riding, golf, wineries, short walks, glider joy flights. And you can still drive up to Bogong Village and the High Plains for longer walks or to escape the heat on really hot days.

In Mt Beauty/Tawonga the requirement for self-cater plus pool gives a choice of Dreamers, Alpenhorn and Snowview (AFAIK).

There are also motels with pools and flats/cabins without-out pools.

The caravan parks are both excellent. They don't have pools, but the river runs beside each of them and is suitable for paddling and play for older kids. You can hire tyres to ride the current. If you want to do laps, there is public pool in town.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

This close good accomm. will be hard to find in Mt Beauty.

11. Rush

Rush Pool Room

Thanks for all the info. We have gone with the Alzburg in Mansfield, but Dreamers in Mt Beauty sounds like a possibility for next time.