1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Summer bushwalking

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by ladycamper, Dec 23, 2017.

1. ladycamper

ladycamper One of Us

What have fellow members been doing or had planned for this summer?

I'm relaxing at home after walking the Prom and visiting Melbourne. Always enjoy a short stop in Melbourne and venturing beyond the tourist districts into familiar and new places.

Prom country was humid and hot but still a lot cooler than home. On 2 nights I had the fly opened on my tent for air and star gazing. After Christmas I have a series of rambles in the Bogong High Plains arranged.....another welcome relief from infernal NSW heat.

My legs have just about recovered, I haven't done multiple day walking in just under a year haven't been able to go much. The inability to travel had affected my life a lot, I was missing my freedom.

#1 ladycamper, Dec 23, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  2. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local Ski Pass: Gold

My daughter's now 4 and walks a couple of kilometres a day with me around town. I'm building up her strength and hope to start short walks asap. Nothing too intrepid yet unfortunately. Probably coastal walks around Vic, Werribee and the western gorges, Yarra Ranges etc. Hopefully out the Razorback for a stroll

3. neilmny

neilmny Addicted

Tanuki, there's a lot of tracks in the Dandenongs that are great for the little ones.
    Our favourites are around the Silvan Dam side of the range.
    We take my Grandson there and do 3 or so km with him. It's amazing how far those little legs can go.
    There's always a chance of seeing an Echidna or a Wallaby up there too.

#3 neilmny, Dec 24, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
    Tanuki and piolet like this.
  4. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

This is true. My daughter was 6 (and small for her age) the first time we walked to Kosi from Charlotte Pass. She left us big ones for dead.

Tanuki and ladycamper like this.
  5. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Thanks, I'll check that one out. ive carried her up the 1000 steps and around Sherbrooke, but haven't been there. Definitely on my radar now.

6. Rabid K9

Rabid K9 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Partner got me the reprinted Tassie 'Abels Volume 1' for Christmas.

Nicely done the second edition, good quality photos & descriptions by people with a genuine love for Tasmania's outdoors.

Stack of peaks still want to get too & many others to revisit.

skifree, Majikthise, mr and 2 others like this.
  7. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

So @Rabid K9 .....you could probably tell me where me and middle son just went, cause we have NFI! Staying near longford at my kids grandmas farm on the south esk we went up past poatina to the top, then about 5kms in found a gate and parked. Walked up through a boulder field, did a bit of scrub bashing, another steeper boulder field and ended up on top looking at both the great lake and ben lomond. Didnt have any maps, there was no tracks but maybe a dozen cairns. We made our own adventure!

8. Rabid K9

Sounds like somewhere along Sandbanks Tier, which is actually an 'Abel' (1100m+, >150m vert from surrounding terrain)? It's on the Meander 1:100,000. Impressive scree fields. What acreage is the farm? Very envious you are in Tassie at this time of year, when it's too hot to even think about proper bushwalking on the mainland, it's a great time to be getting into many places down there.

You would have driven under Mt Blackwood to get up onto plateau. Extensive climbing crag on the sedimentary cliff band which runs along that part of the Tiers. Can see the cliff quite clearly from some distance on the drive up. Lovely spot to climb. Some nice sandstone caves & camping spots not far off the road.

If you've got the time, should get up to Stacks Bluff (south side of Ben Lomond plateau, so not far from Longford). Superb country up there. Or if you follow your nose up Lake River road (South Esk 1:100,000) from Cressy & scramble down (if water is low) from first (small) bridge you can get to easily, very nice canyon type section of river, lots of small falls, pools etc. Great paddle when a modest amount of water. Quite a few stereotypes with guns up that road also.... carrying guns to discourage other with guns from pointing their guns at deer!

9. mr

Thanks @Rabid K9 . According to my watch we topped out at 1340 asl. Incredible scree, in fact id hate to have to do it with a full pack. Im surprised there arent more tracks up there on that side. Must explore more.

Ive been to stacks bluff, and the ben itself a few times inc winter. The farm is 800acres, has an 1830s cottage plus a 1880s house, driveway straight off the midland highway, close to the evandale turnoff with at least a km or 2 right of river frontage right to woolmers lane. From my bed here i can see the western tiers and drys bluff. Great spot

Tanuki, Majikthise and POW_hungry like this.
  10. POW_hungry

POW_hungry Part of the Furniture Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

That does sound like a beautiful retirement plan IMO.

mr likes this.
  11. mr

This is the south esk where we are

Majikthise, ladycamper, GS and 2 others like this.
  12. mr

13. Rabid K9

Nice amount of land, the open midlands certainly have some appeal with the big horizons & historic feel. Have set somewhere upwards of 50-100 acres as family goal further south, but do often look at some of the midlands holding & think what skills could be put to use on the bigger holdings there.

The active lady whose trip reports you linked, her husband sadly disappeared on a short walk in the south earlier this year.

14. mr

Yes my brother in law is making a better go of the farm these days, it spent maybe 15 years when the kids great grandma died not doing much. Its been in my partners family since the 1820s. The cousins sold pleasantbanks closer to evandale to ken latona in the 90s, but my partner remembers sitting on the piano stool rug as a little girl in the 70s which was made up of 14 tassie tiger skins.... (its now at the museum)

Always sad to hear about people going missing in the bush. Thats one reason i joined SAR a couple of years ago, but also because one day it could be me or my kids!

ladycamper and Gimp like this.
  15. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

BHP is buzzing with people. Just spent 3 days over Christmas exploring and relaxing at our sneaky and very private campsite but came across many out for extended walks, day walks/bike ride/horse ride. One of the best wild flower seasons in a long time and not finished yet. The campsites were full on our way home with a mixture of people. Some taking it easy on the deck chair and others using them as a base. Weather was perfect for walking and we did some off track walking with the view of a horse ride later. Spotted 9 feral horses but they were a bit shy. More walks this summer on BHP and Bogong massive and some food drops in Autumn ready for snow camps.

16. Bluebird

Bluebird One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I got into the summer bushwalking early with four days of short walks at the Grampians over Cup Day. Planning lots of day walks around Lorne and the Dandenongs.

Tanuki and neilmny like this.
  17. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

High country is buzzing with insects....better pack the aeroguard or equivalent......and mossie coils.....:whistle:

ladycamper likes this.
  18. slotele

slotele Hard Yards

Two weeks in the Malayan Jungle. So much stuff glows in the dark at night. The Batek ( Orang-Asli people where I was ) have the most incredible bush skills I have ever seen.

skifree and Tanuki like this.
  19. Rabid K9

Inspired by my Abels Christmas present, went through my 1:25,000 Tasmaps collection, made a 'shortlist' & spent a few hours online filling in the holes & just generally stockpiling the series now out of print. Only bought 25, which I thought was very restrained, although another 10 or so that I wanted were all out & only printed on demand ($55 each as opposed to usual $9.95).

Of course had to unfold & pour over potential routes & rivers on at least half the maps while making shortlist.

My 9 month old thought it great fun to crawl, drool & generally scrunch all over the map covered floor that I was paying so much attention too. Hopefully he'll thank me in a few years time when he impresses the girls pulling out a paper map somewhere in the Tassie wilderness & they ask "What is that?" and he can casually remark "Oh this is a paper map & I can even read it...."

One thing I did note is that when first started collecting that series in 2003, they were $9.95 back then.

skifree and ladycamper like this.
  20. malas1

malas1 Hard Yards Ski Pass: Silver

Geehi camping area to DHG via Hannels spur, what should be a classic walk is nearly impossible. NPWS should either keep it clear or let people do trail maintenance in wilderness.

Attached Files:

21. Xplora

There has been some discussion on another forum a short time back and people were going to approach NPWS with the view of creating a volunteer work party for Hannels spur which would be sanctioned by NPWS. Not sure how that is going but it would be better to have an approved track maintenance than people doing their own thing. The volunteers would be covered for any injury.

22. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Big walk for warm weather..well done.
    Mr9 and Ms7 enjoyed their first walk to Kossie . Perfect weather and hundreds of folk out. Plenty of cyclists doing a jindy - cp- rawson pass-walk bike to top station- jindy loop.

Gimp, ecowain and malas1 like this.
  23. malas1

Agree, I thought the area above 1700m seems pretty fragile and would benefit from a defined trail like around kossie etc. Its a bugger to let such a challenging walk deteriorate.

NeoSamurai likes this.
  24. Ubiquitous Steve

Team Bears agree with you 100%

Hannells Spur is a classic route and should be maintained....

Somebody on forum said it was classified as wilderness and so that meant no track clearing could be performed..I think you know what Team Bears think on that little no.And about time a decent bridge was reconstructed near the old hut Ruin to get over Swampy Creek ......

NeoSamurai and malas1 like this.
  25. Greybeard

Greybeard Addicted

This pigued my interest, so I checked. On the western faces there is a declared wilderness zone ("Western Fall") below the 1800m contour.
    As for a bridge over Swampy Ck, any time I've walked down I have been hanging out for a swim by then.

Untele-whippet likes this.
  26. sbm_

sbm_ One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

We stayed up in the Blue Mountains for new years and I dragged (not literally, but it was close haha) some non-outdoorsy friends on a few walks. I made an effort to get them a little off the signposted walkways and onto some rougher tracks to get a taste of the more "interesting" stuff. We did the Grand Canyon loop with a side trip to Beachamp Falls in Blackheath, and the Devil's Hole near Narrowneck in Katoomba. A walk with 200 vertical meters to climb is definitely a wake up call to a lot of people's fitness...I sucker them in saying it's "only a few kilometers" and "a couple of staircases".

I reckon it's a year for me to do a bit more bushwalking...I'd like to walk Kanangra to Katoomba, visit the Colo, and maybe see the Capertee as well.

coolair and Fozzie Bear like this.
  27. Xplora

This is all great country. We exit a canyon at Beauchamp falls and the climb out of the Grand Canyon back to the car. K to K is a must and the Colo can be a day trip or many days. Put Pantoni's crown on the list.

sbm_ likes this.
  28. NeoSamurai

NeoSamurai One of Us Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

I hiked up Hannel's Spur again last week - my second time in 10months. Brought a couple of fit 20yr olds - who were already smashed by Moira's! Hannel's needs a lot more than simply trail 'maintenance' - almost overwhelming what needs to be done to get it back.

skifree, Ubiquitous Steve and sbm_ like this.
  29. NeoSamurai

Personally the only way I could see NPWS effectively re-cuting Hannels (following OH&S rules) would be to lower a cache into Moira's by helicopter and doing it in many stages using Moira's as the central 'base'/camp. (Cache of chainsaws, clearing saws, fuel, oil, saw maintainence 'stuff', OH&S protection gear, food, water) It would have to be done over many stages. Epic!

I've put my hand hand up :) but I wouldn't hold my breath...

malas1 likes this.
  30. Total Whiteout

Total Whiteout Addicted

Spent three days walking in the Grampians. Went to the Manja Caves then up to the Fortress, camped in the Western Caves. Day Two we walked over to Mt Thackery and camped there. Last day we headed back down via the Hut Creek Track.

Little bit of bushbashing and pretty hot, but a great circuit.

31. malas1

Reading your account last year put it in my head, was buzzing for a few days after we finished.
    Some shots
    IMG_20171231_065750400.jpg IMG_20171231_071220085.jpg IMG_20171231_113608777.jpg

Attached Files:

chokenchickin, skifree and NeoSamurai like this.
  32. NeoSamurai

malas1 - last week on Hannels I found a small, newish black Dyneema pouch full of energy gels that had recently been dropped - just below Moira's - so others are definitely out there now hiking this route.

33. NeoSamurai

Yep - I remember that buzzing feeling my first time! Give it a couple of months - you'll want to go back buddy! At the moment you're at that point - like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer (climbing Hannels) - feels so good when you stop.

I guess I did it solo the first time - but it felt surreal at times - almost spiritual. (In a mentally and physically brutal sense)

malas1 likes this.
  34. Ubiquitous Steve

Well that is a fair appraisal of the mental accomplishment.

I came back down from the top many years ago when it was a defined trail with only a couple of scratching the head bits.....I saw a Spanish young couple ....the female had a scarf.....and I thought what an amazing effort to come up on a day hike....blew me away!But I don't know I would enjoy the bush bashing now....but I remember it goes and goes and goes upward and your lungs get a real work out...

I do hope it is recut so this route can be enjoyed..Why go all the way to Thredbo just to walk from the top of chairlift.And it's a fair way from Moiras to Rawsons Pass but a much nicer approach up Wilkinson Valley than the stupid walkway.

NeoSamurai and malas1 like this.
  35. malas1

Fatass next spring if its cleared out a bit

36. NeoSamurai

malas1 - by the way - well done mate - a seriously great effort! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:
    I'll add you to the unofficial 2017/2018 Hannel's Spur 'Great Balls Of Steel' bush-bashing plaque :)

Did you track your average heart rate throughout on the Suunto? Crazy stuff! :mad:

malas1 likes this.
  37. malas1

No HRM but a fair bit of swearing so the rate was up, and thanks a couple of fitter cooler guys lead the way

NeoSamurai likes this.