Summer Road - Access road from rollercoaster/bluecow to North Perisher.

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by Peter Piotr Pumpkin Eater, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Peter Piotr Pumpkin Eater

Hey Friends.

Firstly. Perisher is the best!

Secondly I have noticed when going down roller coaster from about the middle or downwards there is this trail on the right called "summer road" if you turn right and to down It said on the sign it goes to north perisher among other locations.

Everytime I have been there it has had a closed sign on it. Can anyone tell me if it does infact get you to Nth Perisher and does it have suitable cover to ski down lets say start of august?.

If it is stated as "closed" with the red sign What are the repocussions of going down said "Summer Road or can you cut into through trees off-piste I am just so curious to go down it and can not find it on a map or as a trail and do not want to piss anyone off at perisher staff or cause myself an injury!

Thanks in advance friends!

2. Tonester

Tonester One of Us
    Ski Pass: Gold

Summer road takes you from, say, the bottom of north P t-bar, around Devils Playground, up to (mid point of) Roller Coaster and then on to bottom of Terminal. I've walked it heaps of times in summer.

To ski it FROM Roller Coaster TO bottom of North P I guess is do-able, dependant on snow cover. THere are uphill sections you would need to negotiate either way.

3. Peter Piotr Pumpkin Eater

Thanks mate.. I'll give it a go next time it doesn't say closed. Hopefully these uphill sections are not to long as I suck at skating steep uphill only moderate :)

4. Tonester

Tonester One of Us

It is not likely to ever be open.

5. Tonester

Tonester One of Us

It's essentially a unsealed service road used in the off season to get vehicle to/from BC

6. Peter Piotr Pumpkin Eater

Bummer. Ill try get onto it earlier one day before the closed sign and do the walk if needed just do I can map it in my brain permanently. At least then I can say I found this road "off piste" =)

7. chicski

chicski One of Us

I’m assuming you would have to cross a creek somewhere? Don’t do it alone.

8. Tonester

Tonester One of Us

No creek crossing involved. But hold your nose as you pass the sewage works.

9. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us

The summer road has a bridge that crosses the creek, just below the rollercoaster intersection.

It would not be an interesting or fun ski, to go from rollercoaster to north p, lots of flat bits or slight uphills.

When you ski devils playground you actually cross this road. The bit of DP from the top of north p is steep, tight trees, rocks and chutes. Once you hit the road it is fairly mellow to then ski down to the ridge chair.

10. Peter Piotr Pumpkin Eater

If I try something new and obscure I always bring a friend just incase of doing a booboo.

Interestingly someone told me theres a back country run called "farm creek" from back of the top of mt perisher all the way to guthega. With a little bit of traverse. This was going to be my next post to try find the route =) so this also involves a creek I assume. I also would love to give double trouble a go but always seems closed. Bah =)

11. Peter Piotr Pumpkin Eater

Oh so its the road that you can see behind interceptor lift bottom station that goes around to telemark and the smiggings connection tbar (piper i believe it is?)

12. Tonester

Tonester One of Us

Yep. That road starts at the FV carpark, passes Telemark then on to Interceptor, up past those North P lodges and sewerage plant, around past Devils Playground up (and down) some ways till you hit Roller Coaster and then continues on to BC.

13. nfip

nfip Part of the Furniture

QUOTE="chicski, post: 3702704, member: 67810"]I’m assuming you would have to cross a creek somewhere? Don’t do it alone.[/QUOTE]
    I rode it on mtb couple years back.
    did a lap Guthega- link rd- smiggs - perisher - blue cow- guthega
    no creeks between Perisher and roller C.
    I walked most the way back up to the summit chair :cry:
    lack of bike fit.
    ate it in the mush traversing back to Cow T.
    never say never but went in seriously underdone on the bike.
    cheers to my club captain for that one, i should have known...:rolleyes:

14. Peter Piotr Pumpkin Eater

makes sense excellent :mr burns excellent:

15. Peter Piotr Pumpkin Eater

I rode it on mtb couple years back.
    did a lap Guthega- link rd- smiggs - perisher - blue cow- guthega
    no creeks between Perisher and roller C.
    I walked most the way back up to the summit chair :cry:
    lack of bike fit.
    ate it in the mush traversing back to Cow T.
    never say never but went in seriously underdone on the bike.
    cheers to my club captain for that one, i should have known...:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
    very tempted to go ride a bike around perisher... would not mind riding to Mt K one day too... Perisher would be cool to see all melted but probably a lot of flies hahaha

16. Paperboy

Paperboy Hard Yards

very tempted to go ride a bike around perisher... would not mind riding to Mt K one day too... Perisher would be cool to see all melted but probably a lot of flies hahaha[/QUOTE]
    Yes watch out for those march/horse flies, they bite.