Summer snow 2013-14

Discussion in 'Lake Mountain' started by teckel, Nov 4, 2013.

1. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass: Gold

In this thread I'll try to keep people up to date with any snow events during the 'summer' on the mountain.
    Remember too, that access to the ski trails can be had all summer. Snow conditions are often better on the trails because they're higher up. Also, if there's snow the ski hire in Narbethong will be open for all your needs. The mountain's ski hire will be closed, and all the other ski hires will probably be closed too.

For starters: This fell last night. Enough for sight seeing and possibly a snowman and snowball fight, but not much else:
    [​IMG]

#1 teckel, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2013
  2. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

Snowed today:
    [​IMG]
    Let's see what it's like in the morning to see if it's worth going to the mountain in the morning.

3. carrotdude

carrotdude Hard Yards

I'm doing the Warrior Challenge saturday morning. This will be fun!

4. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

Take your skis ;)

5. PiniPowPow

PiniPowPow One of Us
    Ski Pass: Silver

Plenty of snow at Perisher today. Ill try to duck out and get some photos.

6. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

Looks like a full but thin cover this morning at Lake Mountain. I doubt it will last more than the day.

7. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

Great. Looks like most resorts got something. But Perishers a few hundred kms from Lake Mountain ;)

8. PiniPowPow

PiniPowPow One of Us
    Ski Pass: Silver

haha true, only realised this thread was in the lake mountain section after I posted :)

Warming up and starting to melt pretty quick up here now.

9. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

LM posted a photo on instagram, Looks good. wish I had have gone up, I am getting so sick of roller skiing on asphalt! probably only a thin cover though, grounds too warm this time of year.

10. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

If there had been enough, you definitely would have required your rock hoppers ;)

11. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

I think all my skis are rock hoppers now after this season! :D My Teles are trashed after an out of season ski at baw baw in october recently. If anyone does plan to do an out of season ski the snow feels very weird and slow, probably because its a little warm from the ground yet still fresh. Not the best skiing

12. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

Uncompacted and ungroomed too.

13. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

I was just thinking, LM should seal some of their tracks, would get me up there in summer more often to do some roller skiing. Maybe we could have summer laser biathlon? that would be awesome.

14. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

As the trails are in National Park & not within resort boundaries, I can't see that happening. Would be good though!
    Email them with that biathlon suggestion - just wait until after the result of the management tender process is announced. Are there any such summer courses in Australia? Could be a winner to get top athletes there in the summer.

15. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

I thought that might be a problem. Hopefully they will set up a roller ski/biathlon range somewhere one day. Apparently we don't have any so our biathletes like Alex Almoukov have to go to specific place overseas to get in training instead of doing it here. I find crit tracks are good for roller skiing but if I had a laser gun on my back I think the cops would get called because they look like real guns!

16. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

The Australian/Victorian Biathlon Association would need to be involved. They may be able to leverage government funding for such a facility if none exists elsewhere, especially if the range could be integrated as a winter range.
    It just occurred to me - does bitumen hold snow (in the winter) as well as natural ground? If not, it's dead in the water, unless you were to use the mountain bike trails. You can't take away any winter skiing in favour of summer roller skiing.

#16 teckel, Dec 7, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  17. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

I was listening to the comentators on Eurosport and they were saying that the biathlon ski tracks had some bitumen tracks underneath that they use for roller skiing in the summer. I think we have one sealed road at falls creek that holds snow which is the BHP road, so it should be ok to use on some tracks. Maybe some of the exisitng tracks around the wiskey flat biathlon range, DP could be sealed? I think the one problem is the atletes would only use it in small amounts of autumn and spring because they go overeseas to race during summer. But Biathlon australia could do a lot to promote the roller ski (or possibly bike) side of the sport and get some races over summer with lasers or perhaps proper rifles at the new track. sure would give a new atraction to Hotham/Dp over summer

18. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

Oi! Wash your mouth out! This is the LM thread! :p
    I can't see 'proper rifles' being permitted. Firearms are banned in national parks.

19. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

haha, yes I forget this was the LM thread. I don't think wiskey flat is in the national park so they use firearms there. they just use laser guns at LM because of the national park which is fair enough, someone offered me a go last season I should have a go, they should do some biathlon ski races/events at LM, get some more publicity of biathlon at LM

20. carrotdude

carrotdude Hard Yards

Solid turnout for the Warrior Challenge today. Roughly 400 people including spectators. Their running another one in April apparently. It gets bigger everytime. Good business for the region.

21. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty

Wouldn't have known it was on, here, other than the advertising.
    Drop in on your way home.