Summer Surf Thread 2016

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Think he got wipe out of the year for that effort last year.
Love the arm paddling in fresh air !

PiniPowPow

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 16, 2010
NSW South Coast
www.olasmontanas.com
Just got back from Bali, scored some great off season waves on the east coast between the drinking!

Secret Spot
16640578_10158231683630287_4025981582498251040_n.jpg

Serangan
16641030_10158208140655287_1668455369555102529_n.jpg

POW_hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Hey crew, putting out there. I am trying to track down a "surf model" for a Vicco wetsuit start up (I am shooting the campaign). The brief is basically a 40-50 year "old salty sea" dog needed for PAID 4-5 hours work in Sydney. Any one know anyone that fits the below please PM me. Apologies for the nature of this post but I am at lose ends.
Req. 2 sets of photos for start-up wetsuit brand. One set of images will be lifestyle (which can be more on the artistic side with black and white and/or in a scenic bush bush environment. It's more to separate this wetsuit brand from other commercial ones out there such a Billabong/Rip Curl etc.). The other set of images will be some 'unique' product shots. Close up details in the studio, full length shots and simple effective lighting that maybe somewhat dark to help focus in on, and light the wetsuit's 'feel', material and quality etc. The company is ideally looking for someone who has a more mature, unique and 'salty' look that resonates with the founding, adventurers of the surfing community. Salty sea-dog is one phase that could best describe their ideal model for their brand. Model: Middle age and + Timeframe: ~4 hours, in the next 2 weeks, ideally a Friday or Saturday.
Paid: yes, $500
Usage: Web, product and social media
Shoot due date: 25FEB
Reference Images:
-z8v9057-lg.jpeg 94c883b27e37d8e2ca3d6415f1c87a72.jpg oldman_sea-DUP.jpegSTL01797.jpeg

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
Didn't surf yesterday or this morning. Palm Beach area got smashed with rain and hail on Friday afternoon - thought the water would be dirty and rubbish yesterday. Two friends had a private lesson with the surf school at Palm yesterday afternoon - shark alarm went off so they finished early.

No good this morning according to my beachside operatives, small and low tide not doing it any favours.

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Had a quick arvo bash yesterday on the high tide club house bank. Mostly pretty straight but the odd one popped up. I'd say about waist to chest on the sets. Water was a bit cooler after the rain which was nice :)

Seems like my stretch is still best with E to NE swell at the moment so hopefully we get some more from that direction soon with that trade belt

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
Zipped up to Port Macquarie to go to the Rufus concert last night (and got very VERY wet - but the concert was great) then had an early at Town Beach this morning.

I only had time for 45 minutes in the water - it was small 1-2' (yesterday afternoon looked bigger and better) but light offshore and nobody else out so I got 15 or so short waves. Water at Port is at least a couple of degrees cooler than Sydney but clean and refreshing.

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
No not today :)

278375_2206409196997_7291866_o.jpg

@nfip when was this taken? Was it the same day as the legendary pic from '78 of that certain other spot that has never looked like that again?!!

Looking at this pic of above, it looks like the swell is coming from an E/NE direction there which seems to hit the reef better than a S swell which pushes straight past

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
@nfip when was this taken? Was it the same day as the legendary pic from '78 of that certain other spot that has never looked like that again?!!

Looking at this pic of above, it looks like the swell is coming from an E/NE direction there which seems to hit the reef better than a S swell which pushes straight past
I'll check it out.
Friend posted 80+ pics from the old days around abouts those parts on fb.
Foam worthy , both her and th old pics ;):out:

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
Should have had a look at North Wall @Ted Harper but I know it's a mission to get there (unless you brave the sharky paddle across the channel!)

I did have a look - across from the lookout above Town Beach where the little cannon used to be - and it looked just about as flat as Town Beach was (plus I didn't want to drive anywhere, just walk and paddle out if at all possible). Wasn't game to even consider the paddle across the channel at 6:15am either even if the north side was going off - just far too sharky and I would have been doing it by myself.

I spoke with a guy later in the morning in Saltwater Wine surf shop who had surfed early at Lighthouse and said it was pretty good. All good though - I got 15 waves I wouldn't have had if I had turned around and walked back without paddling out and I didn't have to stuff around with a car for just a quick session.

Belly

A Local
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
@Belly was just checking out a map of Port Stephens area, reckon there's anything hidden between Fingal & Samurai?
Yep, some good rock fishing spots :)
Pretty much walked the whole stretch back in the day and can safely say it's nothing but craggy rocky goodness.
There would be some good riding in there as well on those new super fat mountain bikes.

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Yep, some good rock fishing spots :)
Pretty much walked the whole stretch back in the day and can safely say it's nothing but craggy rocky goodness.
There would be some good riding in there as well on those new super fat mountain bikes.

Fair enough! How about between One Mile and Birubi? Ever surf Morna point or Anna Bay reef? Had a few classic sessions at Birubi back in the days when it was still a dirt road and no club house :D

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood
Had a nice little surf at pines on Sat arvo/evening, starting to feel like i have that place dialed in.
Still struggling to identify the best sets though, but got a much better feeling for the break as a whole.
Tide situation very relevant for all of WPB.
Incoming 3/4 it tends to peel down the reef the best from my experiences of Pines. Only have a 1-2 hour or so window. Need a serious big straight swell with a NW-NNW wind. Very Rare, especially in summer, but a fun wave when it does work.

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
@SAsurfa how's the forecast looking for AOS? Hope we get some waves this year! The Vans Park is looking like it has had a solid upgrade for this year so that's always a good fallback, if only the Bones Brigade stuck around for it after Bowl-a-rama :D

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
@Belly starts this weekend then finals the following weekend, then the circus begins at Schnapper after that :D

I'll try and post a few pics of AOS when I get down there

PiedPiper

One of Us
Feb 17, 2010
Melbourne Vic
Tide situation very relevant for all of WPB.
Incoming 3/4 it tends to peel down the reef the best from my experiences of Pines. Only have a 1-2 hour or so window. Need a serious big straight swell with a NW-NNW wind. Very Rare, especially in summer, but a fun wave when it does work.

I actually spent most of my time riding the lefts, just out front of the pt.
Obvs high tide only. but the lefts are decent, fast - steepish little waves. I find the take off a bit tricky, well really finding the right spot to sit, they always LOOK like they are going break further out, and wall up, when actually sitting deep inside is they way to best waves, just have to race that first section.

the rights are nice long fat waves, but i find they rarely run all the way through. I havent surfed it in any real size, so i would like to try that sometime...

might see if i can get back to flinders this weekend tho

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
I remember going to Phillip Island a few years back. There's a few good spots on the island and Woolamai rarely drops below 3ft copping the full wrath of the Southern Ocean. There was one pretty ordinary looking wave on the protected side of the island that looked fat and not overly exciting. Express Point would be pretty sweet to catch on a good day!

Reactions: Belly

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Only 1 week away from the start of the best time of year!

Well to sum it up, been a pretty terrible Summer here on the east coast for waves. Looks like an above average summer down south along the Surf Coast.....?

Craig B

One of Us
Feb 11, 2005
Manly, Sydney
www.instagram.com
@SAsurfa how's the forecast looking for AOS? Hope we get some waves this year! The Vans Park is looking like it has had a solid upgrade for this year so that's always a good fallback, if only the Bones Brigade stuck around for it after Bowl-a-rama :D

It won't be flat, but it also won't be great. Plenty of swell, not dropping below 2-3ft, so I guess that's a plus.

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
I had an hour just before lunchtime yesterday (Thursday) at Barrenjoey. Was onshore and didn't look great from the beach but it surfed pretty well - longer swell period than I expected and pretty good push in the waves (and a fairly strenuous paddle back out, given it was only 2-3'. because the tide was pretty low). Only two other guys out with me so I got a reasonable haul of pretty ok waves. I didn't look today but will be going for the usual earlies tomorrow and Sunday with the usual suspects, just with low expectations on the surf front.

Reactions: FourSquare04

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
I had an hour just before lunchtime yesterday (Thursday) at Barrenjoey. Was onshore and didn't look great from the beach but it surfed pretty well - longer swell period than I expected and pretty good push in the waves (and a fairly strenuous paddle back out, given it was only 2-3'. because the tide was pretty low). Only two other guys out with me so I got a reasonable haul of pretty ok waves. I didn't look today but will be going for the usual earlies tomorrow and Sunday with the usual suspects, just with low expectations on the surf front.

Can't imagine this morning would be too appealing @Ted Harper but look forward to your report on conditions later ;)

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Absolutely miserable here in Sydney this morning - pouring with rain, 2ft, onshore.

Not the best start for the Australian Open of Surfing at Manly today

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
Reactions: FourSquare04
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass