Summer Surf Thread 2016

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
Smaller this morning and generally not as good riding as yesterday but I got in the water for an early with some friends (in front of the south end toilet block) and I ended up with 27 waves (ranging between fairly crap and sort of ok) by the time the coffee shop lured me out of the water around 8am. Was a bit of fun and beat staying in bed listening to the rain by a long way.

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
I surfed early at Bend-in-the-Road with a few of the equally silly regulars. It really wasn't too bad, despite the cross-wind and intermittent heavy rain. Got 29 waves, all short. Tracker evidence: http://surf.traceup.com/stats/u?uId=557376&vId=67616

Here is how it loooked (between sets) before i paddled out.

IMG_3903.JPG

Not a bad looking bank there with left and right options :)

PiedPiper

One of Us
Feb 17, 2010
Melbourne Vic
Had a nice little session @ flinders on sunday, was probably an hour late for the absolute best of it, but good none the less.

Thanks to whoever posted the head towards the beach advice a while back. finally got to put it into action, and it really helped.

Sadly stubbed my toes on the reef at the end of my session, tore my toenail right off the bed, foot covered and blood and i left the emergency room around 11pm last night :( Toe nail was already substantially weakened and separated from bed from splitting last year :(
No more waves for me for a while.

Reactions: Craig B

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Thanks to whoever posted the head towards the beach advice a while back. finally got to put it into action, and it really helped.

@PiedPiper Ah that was me! How much of a difference does it make!! Love it. Opens up a whole new world of surfing.
I missed it ??
need all the help I can get these days.
Lazy 2 footish.
No banks around so my home is getting hammered by the crew from all over town .
Plus others .......
Pass.
Autumn is coming :D

edit : 30 out at the rivermouth on the weekend I was just told @Fozzie Bear !!!

Last edited:

Craig B

One of Us
Feb 11, 2005
Manly, Sydney
www.instagram.com
I missed it ??
need all the help I can get these days.
Lazy 2 footish.
No banks around so my home is getting hammered by the crew from all over town .
Plus others .......
Pass.
Autumn is coming :D

Ah, so to improve your turns and get more vertical, once racing down the line with speed and you see a section you want to hit, turn straight to the beach, carry the speed and then turn back straight up towards the wave face.

This will open up the wave for you to turn straight up into it and attack it. If you don't do this and try and do a critical turn from mid-face you'll likely just fall over on your back.

Reactions: Belly and nfip

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
Not a breath down here.
Maybe on the other side of town ligth SW.

I got out for an hour at south Palm Beach around high tide today. Winds were variable but not too strong and even managed periods of light offshore. It somehow didn't rain for the duration of my session but there were short sharp showers before and after. Was only a foot or two, bit bumpy and wind-affected but not really bad surfing. Needless to say crowds were not a problem. I caught 21 waves, had some paddling practice, didn't get stung by anything, so all in all a successful outing.

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
@Ted Harper looking like good swell direction and winds for Palmy this weekend (southern end) however tide may be an issue with low forecast in the mornings for the early

I am looking forward to the weekend and I think the banks at the South end will be ok on a low-ish tide - hope so anyway!

Today I got out for a surf just south of Bend-in-the-Road before lunch (aside: haven't surfed that part of the beach for 6 months and now twice in a week) and it was pretty good, albeit pretty shallow and sucky on the takeoffs.

Almost no wind, fairly hollow - the bigger ones (maybe a bit over 3') were mostly brutal closeouts but the middle-sized set waves were good and mostly nakeable, the lefts more so than the rights. Had a penguin around for a while chasing bait fish too and the water was a lot warmer than Tuesday. I got about 18 waves in an hour; the last 20 minutes was pretty slow though as the tide and the increasing wind made good ones less frequent.

Looked like this (between sets, but gives you an idea of the banks) after I finished and the wind had come up a bit onshore:

IMG_3908.JPG

IMG_3909.JPG

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Maroubra wasn't too shabby this morning..... hence almost as crowded as Bondi.
Rivermouth looked sweet thiz morn. Nearly starting round the corner.!!
Tide was in to it by time I could get to it
Had Hour and half waist ht or so on the open beach with self and a mate taking turns.
Calm before the storm might have another look.
Next week looks the goods.

Fozzie Bear

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Rivermouth looked sweet thiz morn. Nearly starting round the corner.!!
Tide was in to it by time I could get to it
Had Hour and half waist ht or so on the open beach with self and a mate taking turns.
Calm before the storm might have another look.
Next week looks the goods.

Love that spot, except when alone... then always a little sharky.... and by coincidence, the only spot where I've seen sharks (other than wobbygongs and the like) in the wild.

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Yeah, pretty keen. South Coast where it'll be a bit more mellow (winds and swell) is my pick. Really depends on where that low tracks...

Yeah that's it, looking at the current BOM 4 day I'd say maybe heading North could be the go as the wind will be more S S/W, if you head south it could be more S S/E but that could always change between now and Sunday/Monday.....

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Yer if you wanna see some marine creatures that's the place.
I've been chased out there a few times .
Mate surfed it on his own earlier in the morning , in the rain. :eek:

POW_hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Yeah that's it, looking at the current BOM 4 day I'd say maybe heading North could be the go as the wind will be more S S/W, if you head south it could be more S S/E but that could always change between now and Sunday/Monday.....
Gimme 13kts cross with 4ft of swell, over 30kt cross-off and 6 foot any day of the week...;)
Merimbula Vs Port Mac.
Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 9.12.22 pm.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 9.12.57 pm.png

Even into the weekend looks good.

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
It has been good on the Goldy for the last week or so.

Initially the swell was super straight and the beachies were closing out but you could get some good ones if patient.

Yesterday and this morning the beachies were going off. Mirror glass, light offshore, low tide dredging barrels. There were peaks everywhere. It was epic 3' with the odd bigger one and super make-able. The sets were breaking just enough off the bank to make the takeoff easy and then if was just a case of stand and deliver.

I am a happy man.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass