Summer Surf Thread 2016

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
Surfed at South Palm Beach about 6:45-8am. Friend and I, her 16YO son and mine had it to ourselves most of the session. It surfed quite a bit better than it looked from the beach - 2'+, sucky rip-affected takeoff but pretty ok once you got going on a wave. I got 20 or so, the others just a few less but all fairly happy, so much better to have got wet than just an L-plate drive morning with no surfing!

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
can't recall the pic.
will have to dig the book out from around here somewhere.
There's a thumping little wave magnet reef break we've been surfing for 30 years or more ,as a right hander down the reef into the bay, the groms all surf it as a slabbing left back onto the reef in opposite swell . when they told me I'm scratching my crusty old head in disbelief. A mate has shown me phone pics of his kids goofy foot dropping into it.
A massive White washed in nearby many years ago and aircrew spotted it initially thought it was a yacht run aground , by the time ground crew got there it was gone ......:eek:

I'll see if I can dig up the book and take a pic of it - it's the one with the tent pitched (must have been many, many years ago as I distinctly remember there being a lot of "NO CAMPING" signs up when I was there and that was 10 years ago!

Reactions: nfip

jabiru

One of Us
Jul 16, 2002
Melbourne
There used to be a story about a VERY BIG shark that used to cruise up and down the coast around Jervis Bay to Narooma , the fisherman at Ulladulla used to tell us about it , probably just trying to put the frightners up us but they said it used to wreck their nets regularly , they said it was called saucer eyes , had eyes as big as saucers probably bs but a good story told well was entertaining

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
There used to be a story about a VERY BIG shark that used to cruise up and down the coast around Jervis Bay to Narooma , the fisherman at Ulladulla used to tell us about it , probably just trying to put the frightners up us but they said it used to wreck their nets regularly , they said it was called saucer eyes , had eyes as big as saucers probably bs but a good story told well was entertaining
I'm going back to the mid 80's now but 3 or 4 of us where surfing South of here and something went thru the middle of us all at mach speed between the point and an island... was the size of a station wagon the white flash I saw. We all just looked at each other...not much was said as pretty obvious it wasn't interested in us or we would have been anihilated by the time we saw it.
The one that washed up was 10 or 15 years later so possibly the same.
The tagging sensors have shown one White to have travelled from Ballina ( circa) around to Albany and back in the last year.
There is still talk in town here of another whopper seen out in the channel off the Lighthouse recently.
Why not !

Reactions: FourSquare04

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
That's insane that they are travelling from Ballina to Albany....it's like they've decided to go for a holiday and now prefer the warmer waters of NSW North coast as opposed to lurking around Margaret's region. The men in grey suits are turning into hipsters :D

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Whilst having a trawl for 'that pic' from Mark Warren's atlas, came across this smoker. I'd say most of us know where this one is......how good is that inside one reeling off with no one on it!

marks-oz-and-nz-pics-and-vids-121.jpg

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
@nfip I think this is the spot that I'm thinking of, this is the water angle of it and now that I've seen this shot, it matches up with a few other similar shots that I've seen lurking on the 'net in recent time:

7DAE7C0A9C2A4AFBA0CE1F369AD42741.ashx

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
@nfip I think this is the spot that I'm thinking of, this is the water angle of it and now that I've seen this shot, it matches up with a few other similar shots that I've seen lurking on the 'net in recent time:

7DAE7C0A9C2A4AFBA0CE1F369AD42741.ashx
This the one they towing now on the big swells. Few of the local boys paddle it also some days.
Plenty of footage of it of late.
Think I've posted a couple here also.
and definately does not break as a right

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Whilst having a trawl for 'that pic' from Mark Warren's atlas, came across this smoker. I'd say most of us know where this one is......how good is that inside one reeling off with no one on it!

marks-oz-and-nz-pics-and-vids-121.jpg
Yep the secret spot again.
Looks a lot better than it is at times.

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
This the one they towing now on the big swells. Few of the local boys paddle it also some days.
Plenty of footage of it of late.
Think I've posted a couple here also.
and definately does not break as a right

Yeah I had another look at this one and I got it wrong, this isn't the spot I was thinking of.

Still need to find said 'pitched tent' pic ;)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
I know I'm obsessed :) but I still like the bottom right of the BoM 4-dayer http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/charts/4day_col.shtml
As I said at least there will be surf, south swells can ebb and flow for days off lows like that.

For sure, we should get a few pulses out of that. Good direction for the South Coast too @Belly :)

Sooooo many spots will be on the pump, pity it's right in the middle of school holidays though - max people around but if there's a few spots pumping then it should help to spread them out. Looking forward to seeing what Craig & Ben have in store in their Friday forecast updates

jabiru

One of Us
Jul 16, 2002
Melbourne
This thread has been temporarily hijacked into the NSW Sth coast thread ,, i love it ,as previously mentioned there are still secret spots , so many reefs and beaches if you had the knowledge you could get a wave and surprisingly the same people would turn up so all got some respect .
we would go every weekend and holidays , mostly empty in winter , no surf = fishing or prawning .
live in Melbourne now so just memories ,, one wave we would go to in a nor easter ,,, just our crew and some locals , often , one bloke was a pro surfer ( many will know who ) he was the first bloke i saw taking off on the other side of the peak and charging through ,, a very cool cruiser ,,,

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
This thread has been temporarily hijacked into the NSW Sth coast thread ,, i love it ,as previously mentioned there are still secret spots , so many reefs and beaches if you had the knowledge you could get a wave and surprisingly the same people would turn up so all got some respect .
we would go every weekend and holidays , mostly empty in winter , no surf = fishing or prawning .
live in Melbourne now so just memories ,, one wave we would go to in a nor easter ,,, just our crew and some locals , often , one bloke was a pro surfer ( many will know who ) he was the first bloke i saw taking off on the other side of the peak and charging through ,, a very cool cruiser ,,,
GK ?

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
Smaller than forecast this morning at Palm Beach but a bit bigger than yesterday. Dropped my wife off for yoga at bend-in-the-road and had a quick look there. Was (maybe) 3-4' on the sets, definitely no bigger, but not working in any way at all. Headed south and went out at Kiddies' Corner which was only a foot or so but a lot more power than it usually has due to favourable sand banks there at present. My son and my friend's son turned their noses up at Kiddies' after a wave or two and paddled up to the toilet block where they took off on sucky close outs and got destroyed for an hour or so, enjoying eating sand in the way that only 16 year olds can. Kiddies got stupidly busy by 8am so that was enough for me - I got 16 fairly ok waves, didn't hit anyone or get hit by anyone, caught up with a couple of people in the water I haven't surfed with for a month or two, all good.

Did anywhere else in Sydney pick up the swell that CoastalWatch and the BOM predicted for today? Towards low tide this morning Newport Peak was maybe 3-4' but rubbish and Crosswaves had a few out but I didn't see any sets come through. Didn't look anywhere else.

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Smaller than forecast this morning at Palm Beach but a bit bigger than yesterday. Dropped my wife off for yoga at bend-in-the-road and had a quick look there. Was (maybe) 3-4' on the sets, definitely no bigger, but not working in any way at all. Headed south and went out at Kiddies' Corner which was only a foot or so but a lot more power than it usually has due to favourable sand banks there at present. My son and my friend's son turned their noses up at Kiddies' after a wave or two and paddled up to the toilet block where they took off on sucky close outs and got destroyed for an hour or so, enjoying eating sand in the way that only 16 year olds can. Kiddies got stupidly busy by 8am so that was enough for me - I got 16 fairly ok waves, didn't hit anyone or get hit by anyone, caught up with a couple of people in the water I haven't surfed with for a month or two, all good.

Did anywhere else in Sydney pick up the swell that CoastalWatch and the BOM predicted for today? Towards low tide this morning Newport Peak was maybe 3-4' but rubbish and Crosswaves had a few out but I didn't see any sets come through. Didn't look anywhere else.

My stretch was fairly solid but I didn't paddle out, too straight and onshore

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
My stretch was fairly solid but I didn't paddle out, too straight and onshore

Was pretty ordinary at Palm Beach this morning, rather smaller too. I got in the water a bit later than I'd have liked (L-plater son doesn't do early - sigh), so most of my friends had already been in the water a while.

I'd say it was better on the higher tide a bit after 6am when they hit it than nearly 7 when I eventually paddled out, but I gave it a good go for an hour or so. Not enough water on the banks, too many straight-handers, some nasty backwash and generally too many people in the water, but nice and warm and pretty glassy. I surfed more-or-less in front of 2108 Espresso which was just about the least bad spot. My son and my friend's son took their doormats out and had fun pulling in to unmakeable barrels further north up the beach; she gave her stuffed rotator cuff a test on her normal shortboard down at Kiddies' Corner and was fairly happy with the lack of pain and also being back on her real board rather than a bodyboard after a few months.

Craig B

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 11, 2005
Manly, Sydney
www.instagram.com

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Reactions: Craig B

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Went south for the weekend but didn't take board, was a sight seeing mission, but driving back past the Coal Coast yesterday morning with glassy 4-5ft+ surf was hard to see. Arvo Longy surf was sick but, clean 3-4ft fast sucky rights, and then Freshy bowls this morning.

How's this fella, massive tripper, haha. http://www.swellnet.com/news/swelln...aled-why-japanese-surfer-was-six-kays-out-sea
Just thinking back to the last time I padded 6 k out to sea to watch the moon , then decided I'd hang and watch tthe sunrise......LOL
Love it.

Reactions: Craig B

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Looking like a pretty quiet Australia Day on the east coast for waves......

In years gone by I can recall quite a few good Australia Days for waves

One year I recall way back in the day (would have been early 90's) North Av absolutely pumping with Big lefts reeling off from way out.

Belly

A Local
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
Yep, just packing the fish me-thinks. There will be waves but seeing a long wait between sets. Already have a plan to make the most of Thu PM and Fri AM but will be slim pickings thereafter I think, => family + fishing :)

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Yep, just packing the fish me-thinks. There will be waves but seeing a long wait between sets. Already have a plan to make the most of Thu PM and Fri AM but will be slim pickings thereafter I think, => family + fishing :)
Thought of you the other day Belly.
We did a drive from Moruya to Araluen last weekend, along the Deua River / Araluen Rd.
Was pretty good going , few bumps twists and turns but would be OK even in 2 wd. Comes out at the roundabout at Moruya near Council offices.
Valid option if the Clyde is blocked and you heading South of B bay and didn't want to go down to Brown Mtn. or just for a cruisey drive thru some pretty special country. You wouldn't want to be in a hurry tho.
We did the round trip from Araluen back across to the Cyde thru Monga NP.
Comes out just East of the roadworks tho need 4x for the Araluen to Kings highway stretch.
Araluen to Braidwood would be sweet in 2wd.

Reactions: Belly

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Txt fro fb.
Eden Hasson: Playing with sharks. Background to photo. Up Northern for the late surf. Storm in background. I'm on the rocks taking photos of Eden. I see a big dark shape and about to call the small group in and Eden takes of on a left and smashes it to the beach. Just as he is taking off I see something out of the corner of my eye. I keep shooting and after he finishes and starts paddling out I zoom in on the second photo and see he's just done a backhand snap on an 8 foot Great White Sharks head. Call everyone in and show them the photo. Lucky he didn't fall off. This photo is going straight to the pool room. Not everyday you get a photo surfing over a big white. Check its mouth. It's rolled over having a good look at his yummy yellow new wetsuit.

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Txt fro fb.
Eden Hasson: Playing with sharks. Background to photo. Up Northern for the late surf. Storm in background. I'm on the rocks taking photos of Eden. I see a big dark shape and about to call the small group in and Eden takes of on a left and smashes it to the beach. Just as he is taking off I see something out of the corner of my eye. I keep shooting and after he finishes and starts paddling out I zoom in on the second photo and see he's just done a backhand snap on an 8 foot Great White Sharks head. Call everyone in and show them the photo. Lucky he didn't fall off. This photo is going straight to the pool room. Not everyday you get a photo surfing over a big white. Check its mouth. It's rolled over having a good look at his yummy yellow new wetsuit.
Yeah, port Stephens/NB way.
http://www.swellnet.com/news/swelln...0-year-old-son-surfing-over-great-white-shark

Reactions: nfip

Zimboo

A Local
Aug 28, 2014
Glad dad wasn't on the rocks in Albany WA taking pics of his son.
5 metre wopper spotted there a couple of days ago. :eek:

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Glad dad wasn't on the rocks in Albany WA taking pics of his son.
5 metre wopper spotted there a couple of days ago. :eek:
I'll be honest, coming from WA and having surfed every surfable state in Australia, I've never felt more uneasy than surfing the Southern Coastline of WA - Albany-Walpole especially. You can surf much of that vast coastline on your own for days at a time and there are things that spook me more than any other place I've ever surfed before.
There's some good research out there about the migration pattern of GWS around the Southern capes - GWS freeway in my books.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zimboo and nfip

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
Cuppla rips from mate of a mates on facey...
Up around Nelson Bay ???
16299927_1566574333356686_2223333309162272854_o.jpg

16179021_1566574330023353_5036417041832236656_o.jpg

I just saw this on 7 News beat up as "Little boys encounter with Great White".

What an absolute crock, that is plainly someone duck diving, the water displacement, the shape, the context in line-up.

When I first views photo almost made a joke "Shark", just to play on the hysteria. And then there is the 'what if it actually was shark, what guarantees it's a white' question?

Only another few dozen species in our inshore waters. Tiny GW if it was one.

Zimboo

A Local
Aug 28, 2014
I just saw this on 7 News beat up as "Little boys encounter with Great White".

What an absolute crock, that is plainly someone duck diving, the water displacement, the shape, the context in line-up.

When I first views photo almost made a joke "Shark", just to play on the hysteria. And then there is the 'what if it actually was shark, what guarantees it's a white' question?

Only another few dozen species in our inshore waters. Tiny GW if it was one.
So dad works in the real estate business.......................mmmmmmmm

Reactions: parkmonkey
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass