Summer Surf Thread 2016

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
I just saw this on 7 News beat up as "Little boys encounter with Great White".

What an absolute crock, that is plainly someone duck diving, the water displacement, the shape, the context in line-up.

When I first views photo almost made a joke "Shark", just to play on the hysteria. And then there is the 'what if it actually was shark, what guarantees it's a white' question?

Only another few dozen species in our inshore waters. Tiny GW if it was one.
Farkenell.
shoot me.( aka the messenger)
Just shared some pics of possible interest straight off the bat.
Didnt check into the occupation of the Dad / photog before I did.
My bad.

Zimboo

A Local
Aug 28, 2014
Farkenell.
My bad.
Yep, noth'n to do with your posting............just questioning dads original motive. IMO

Zimboo

A Local
Aug 28, 2014
Kid should be in boardies.
It's farkin January on the central / mid north coast NSW..............bloody soft cocks. LOL
We used to surf as kids mid winter in springies on Sydney nth beaches and warm up after in the laundramat whilst eating chiko rolls and chips. Them's were the days. Strayla.

Last edited:

Nozawaman

A Local
Nov 7, 2002
Gold Coast/Nozawa Onsen
www.sasa-nozawa.com
Kid should be in boardies.
It's farkin January on the central / mid north coast NSW..............bloody soft cocks. LOL
We used to surf as kids mid winter in springies on Sydney nth beaches and warm up after in the laundramat whilst eating chiko rolls and chips. Them's were the days. Strayla.
I wish I started with a springy ...... it was footy jumpers for me , then we started to use diving wetsuits ( if you could afford one) with a big flap dangling behind you . we would change in the gear tunnel at Bondi then run over and get a couple of pies from the Flying Pieman .

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
I wish I started with a springy ...... it was footy jumpers for me , then we started to use diving wetsuits ( if you could afford one) with a big flap dangling behind you . we would change in the gear tunnel at Bondi then run over and get a couple of pies from the Flying Pieman .

If you surfed with the Panache crew you might have known my ex +1 who went out with one of the Moyes brothers.

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
Farkenell.
My bad.

Sorry, definitely wasn't having a go at you at all, just the hysteria about great whites.

Seems any shape at all in the water is definitely a great white these days, now their even sizing up grommets as well.

Facts or common reasoning seem completely irrelevant.

Reactions: nfip

Belly

A Local
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
Think I surfed with the little fella about 18 months ago, that would've put him in the 6 range. His dad was out in flippers pushing him into waves. Could already surf good then.
My 2c it's a shark, can make out the mouth in the zoomed shot.

Bloody shite on the south coast yesterday arvo, straight easterly devil winds.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

parkmonkey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 20, 2005
On a wave or mountain face near you.
Think I surfed with the little fella about 18 months ago, that would've put him in the 6 range. His dad was out in flippers pushing him into waves. Could already surf good then.
My 2c it's a shark, can make out the mouth in the zoomed shot.

Bloody shite on the south coast yesterday arvo, straight easterly devil winds.
Is that a mouth or his arms or a graphic on the nose of the board? I think you can see his skin coloured leg down to heel/ankle, his head and back is disturbing the water, he's in a spring suit

Reactions: Gumbo

Gumbo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2000
Wollongong N.S.W
If it was a open mouth why are no pictures of it breaching the wave. Have a look at the angle it would have to have been if it was a open mouth it would have launched out of the wave for sure.

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
RE: the possible GWS photo, I've had another look at it and I reckon it's another surfer duck diving.

And FYI all, that's a well known nudist beach with a nudist resort just behind the dunes (if it's still there)

Belly

A Local
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
Wrong end of the beach ;) and I like the point on SN blog re no wake.
Still each to their own on opinons, maybe 15 minutes of fame is a legitimate motive if fake, or getting son a sponsorship...

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood
The photographer (Chris Hasson) has just given his account on the site..

Bottom of the comments.. https://www.swellnet.com/news/swell...0-year-old-son-surfing-over-great-white-shark
hahaha nice sales pitch.

I still don't buy it for a second, its a bloke duck diving.

The water movement is what gives it away to me. They keep saying the shark is rolling to its right.
The way the water is moving to me suggests something submerging right down, like a typical surfer duck dive.

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
The photographer (Chris Hasson) has just given his account on the site..

Bottom of the comments.. https://www.swellnet.com/news/swell...0-year-old-son-surfing-over-great-white-shark
Fair and provoked response. Doesn't change a thing but dunno what makes people question someones account with proof that looks reasonably legit... At the end of the day; only 6 possible witnesses, none of whom have come out with any other explanation. It's an outrageous conspiracy!

parkmonkey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 20, 2005
The underside of a great white, pretty decent size pectoral fins
male-great-white-sharks-belly-todd-winner.jpg

Reactions: The Plowking

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
hahaha nice sales pitch.

I still don't buy it for a second, its a bloke duck diving.

The water movement is what gives it away to me. They keep saying the shark is rolling to its right.
The way the water is moving to me suggests something submerging right down, like a typical surfer duck dive.

Exactly.

Reactions: The Plowking

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
dunno what makes people question someones account with proof that looks reasonably legit

* Common sense.
* Rational thought.
* Experience.
* Photographic 'proof', which proves exactly the opposite of the story.

In the nineties, screaming shark because of a photo like this, would have led you to being dropped off by the continental shelf attached to a drum of cray bait.

In the noughties, wouldn't have merited much of a second look, despite a rising sense of wariness in the water.

Now the first sign of a shadow, it's JEEZUS CHRIST A WHOLE PACK OF WHITE POINTERS WHERE WALKING UP THE HIGHWAY!!

Social pyscho-syptomatic's.

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
* Common sense.
* Rational thought.
* Experience.
* Photographic 'proof', which proves exactly the opposite of the story.

In the nineties, screaming shark because of a photo like this, would have led you to being dropped off by the continental shelf attached to a drum of cray bait.

In the noughties, wouldn't have merited much of a second look, despite a rising sense of wariness in the water.

Now the first sign of a shadow, it's JEEZUS CHRIST A WHOLE PACK OF WHITE POINTERS WHERE WALKING UP THE HIGHWAY!!

Social pyscho-syptomatic's.
I guess I am happy to take his word for it (given what he's presented) and move on.
Plenty of juvie sharks out there. I accept this sort of thing (a shark passing through a wave) isn't exactly extraordinary, it's the capturing on camera that's got everyone in a tizz...

Reactions: Craig B

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Went for late arvo / sunset paddle on the home stretch. Got a couple of little peelers. Sets were inconsistent but around 2 foot when they came through. Unfortunately not enough water on the banks meant a fair few straight handers but there was the odd fast and fun one. Got a couple. Water is magnificent. Better than sitting on my ass drinking beers

Reactions: Sir Surfalot

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
I surfed yesterday early at North Palm Beach (fair size, weird waves breaking hard the top 1/3 of the face and fat below that, vicious shorebreak) and this morning early at the south end in front of the toilet block (small except for 3' wash through sets every 10 minutes or so, clean but got fat quickly, lots of close outs). Got plenty of waves, but only a handful each session were any good. We all struggled with the takeoffs yesterday, and this morning there just wasn't a lot of quality to be had.

Always worth getting wet though and my friend with the damaged rotator cuff is finally able to be back on her board again, albeit only paddling with the bad arm in a limited way - so a bit like Nemo ;)

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Picking up this down here.
2 or 3 feet most the day looking bigger on dark maybe 3 plus.
Might just be push of the tide with the Easterly behind it again.
Blueys have been really savage all week.
Mate got hammered by a bunch late this arvo ....legs , chest , neck , arms he was not in a good way. The welt was 10mm wide. We put him in the showers , hot water is the deal. Ice later for the itch.
He won't be having a good night at all.....

Belly

A Local
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
Got down noon yesterday still haven't surfed :(
Easterlies yesterday, tide swallowed banks this am and howling NE'r this afternoon made the south swell redundant.
Flicked a lure and had a skate instead.
Hopefully some funky trough winds tomorrow will present some more options.

Reactions: FourSquare04

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Picking up this down here.
2 or 3 feet most the day looking bigger on dark maybe 3 plus.
Might just be push of the tide with the Easterly behind it again.
Blueys have been really savage all week.
Mate got hammered by a bunch late this arvo ....legs , chest , neck , arms he was not in a good way. The welt was 10mm wide. We put him in the showers , hot water is the deal. Ice later for the itch.
He won't be having a good night at all.....

Could be a good weekend for the 'rock again

Reactions: nfip and POW Hungry

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
Couple of feet this morning early at Barrenjoey, up to maybe 3' on occasional larger sets. Only a few out, oddly, as it was pretty good and quite a few good waves were had by the usual weekend early crew.

I was reminded this morning at apres surf coffee that The Big Swim (South Palm Beach around to Whale) http://www.thebigswim.org.au/ is on tomorrow, so if you are planning to be in the area there might be a bit more parking and traffic issues than normal, especially if it is a nice and warm day and lots of general beachgoers decide to visit too.

Reactions: FourSquare04

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Couple of feet this morning early at Barrenjoey, up to maybe 3' on occasional larger sets. Only a few out, oddly, as it was pretty good and quite a few good waves were had by the usual weekend early crew.

I was reminded this morning at apres surf coffee that The Big Swim (South Palm Beach around to Whale) http://www.thebigswim.org.au/ is on tomorrow, so if you are planning to be in the area there might be a bit more parking and traffic issues than normal, especially if it is a nice and warm day and lots of general beachgoers decide to visit too.

Gotta get up there @Ted Harper one morning with you

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
Gotta get up there @Ted Harper one morning with you

This morning was a good day NOT to - was a bit ordinary surf-wise (we all got a lot of waves though, just short, smallish and generally a bit blah) and as expected a lot of people were there for the Big Swim (photo is from when we were leaving after apres-surf coffees a bit after 9am):

IMG_3883.JPG

Reactions: nfip

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Yeah flat as.
Beautiful evening tho , not a breath of wind.
Same now , maybe slight touch of NE if anything......

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Nice on the peninsula beaches this am. Rare window this summer.
Bit low, 5 ft sets dodging closeouts for couple of good waves

Sounds like classic long period swell hitting sand banks that can't handle it - don't worry it happens all too often around these parts. When there's a ground swell it's always a better bet to hit the reefs, they just handle the longer period energy a lot better. When the period is lower (< 10 secs) that's when the beachies are good fun :)

There are times when the above theory can differ, such as when you get a large long period swell that gradually drops in size and the banks tend to become a bit more groomed for it, but in general the above theory is pretty consistent, especially around here (Northern Beaches in SYD) where we often get long period S swells and this area has only a handful of spots that handle it. We ideally need swell from E to NE direction and pretty much every beach/reef/point pumps!

Last edited:

Belly

A Local
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
The long range FNMOC wasn't working for me this morning.... But definitely showing on the short range GFS, will probably be days of travel time and shadowing for southern NSW, which we can read about on tonight's notes @SAsurfa

The Plowking

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 15, 2000
Bonbeach, Vic
Sounds like classic long period swell hitting sand banks that can't handle it - don't worry it happens all too often around these parts. When there's a ground swell it's always a better bet to hit the reefs, they just handle the longer period energy a lot better. When the period is lower (< 10 secs) that's when the beachies are good fun :)

There are times when the above theory can differ, such as when you get a large long period swell that gradually drops in size and the banks tend to become a bit more groomed for it, but in general the above theory is pretty consistent, especially around here (Northern Beaches in SYD) where we often get long period S swells and this area has only a handful of spots that handle it. We ideally need swell from E to NE direction and pretty much every beach/reef/point pumps!
Nah, just tide too low.
The sand on thehe open beaches down here (and Woolamai on the island and down south) is quite gritty and with constant swell there are always gutters/banks. 4-5ft is Prime assuming enough water.
There's a couple places that are better on the low along that stretch -when they have sand anyway.
Haven't had time to look lately

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
As a general rule - the combo of low tide + strong S ground swell will deliver 90% closeouts at the majority of beaches around these parts as the beaches just tend to focus a lot more East to North East in direction.

Classic example of this would be Manly @SAsurfa ;)

Last edited:

Craig B

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 11, 2005
Manly, Sydney
www.instagram.com
Yep long period south swells and Manly = close-out town.

Even long-period NE groundswells close-out, as said, windswells and mid-period swells are the best, anything above 10-11s and it's the reefs time.

@Belly yeah looking at small persistent run of E/NE trade-swell from next week, but not much down here.

Reactions: Belly

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Interesting over in WA at the moment with that ex-TC depression moving in a SW direction.....

@SAsurfa do you think it will be strong enough to kick up some unusual NW swell like we saw a few years back?

Not sure if it was this event or a different event longer ago......

http://cw-production-542455380.ap-s...its-category-5?categoryUrlKey=latest-features
Problem here is:
  • Eunice was Cat5 (915hPa:eek:), this one in the NW barely puffed at 50 knots.
  • The tropical mess now in the Indian is cradled by the High around 20S. On the West Coast you really want it heading south of ~30S for the swell to propogate Westward (towards the mainland)... Well at least for the SW.
  • #RIPTCBianca...
    articleimage

Last edited:
Reactions: Craig B and nfip

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Claims being made of worst summer in at least 15 years on SN....I can recall worse than what we've had but it was certainly a pretty poor December - January period here on the east coast.

Belly

A Local
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
They are definitely in a frizzle each time the SE Qld notes get posted. Think I read they have northelies forecast until Sat week!!

parkmonkey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 20, 2005
Claims being made of worst summer in at least 15 years on SN....I can recall worse than what we've had but it was certainly a pretty poor December - January period here on the east coast.
I missed a couple being in north america but i don't remember a worse summer in the last 15yrs, we've had north winds right through Jan in the past but at least some swell and good early mornings, has just been no swell

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass