Summer Surf Thread 2016

parkmonkey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 20, 2005
On a wave or mountain face near you.
Yep north winds normally late sept oct nov dec, it can keep going into Jan and we've had some still days and a few light southerlies but no swell and northerly still most of them time and strong. I remember summers with 4ft east swells glass in the morning blown out in the arvo but still fun surfing 4ft wind affected in the arvo, other summers we get the big lows come down the QLD coast big swells, SE winds and rain, the bay pumps then as the low moves on drops out all the points fire for the next week

Reactions: FourSquare04

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
@Belly & @Ted Harper not the best looking long range forecast but Sunday morning there might be a fun little wave on offer at NE facing beaches IE good for Palm Beach @Ted Harper

@Ted Harper do not expect much come Saturday morning for the early ;)

Other than that, next Friday looks like it may have some potential on the long range but that's a long way away from now.....

Last edited:

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
...Sunday morning there might be a fun little wave on offer at NE facing beaches IE good for Palm Beach @Ted Harper
...do not expect much come Saturday morning for the early ;)

I haven't had a mid-week surf this week (doesn't look like I am missing much today anyway) so will be even more likely to paddle out tomorrow morning early than usual, even if it is utter rubbish. My wife enjoys Saturday morning outdoor yoga (and joining my friends for apres-surf cofffee and cake) so she'd be keen to be down at the beach early - and would send me out - even if I unexpectedly turned my nose up at it.

Hopeful for Sunday to be pretty ok though!

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
I haven't had a mid-week surf this week (doesn't look like I am missing much today anyway) so will be even more likely to paddle out tomorrow morning early than usual, even if it is utter rubbish. My wife enjoys Saturday morning outdoor yoga (and joining my friends for apres-surf cofffee and cake) so she'd be keen to be down at the beach early - and would send me out - even if I unexpectedly turned my nose up at it.

Hopeful for Sunday to be pretty ok though!

Sunday morning looks the pick for the next week at NE facing beaches so I hope you get out there and hopefully the conditions play out as planned (hopefully the tide is OK for it)

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
upload_2017-2-3_11-50-48.png

Belly

A Local
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
I may have sprained my wrist quite badly on my first ride of my new Powell Peralta and paddling, duckdiving, and taking-off was rather painful last weekend - so I'm happy to watch from afar for the next few weekends, which isn't a bad thing looking at the long range fnmoc charts - still can't see anything of substance.

parkmonkey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 20, 2005
I may have sprained my wrist quite badly on my first ride of my new Powell Peralta and paddling, duckdiving, and taking-off was rather painful last weekend - so I'm happy to watch from afar for the next few weekends, which isn't a bad thing looking at the long range fnmoc charts - still can't see anything of substance.
I went over the handle bars on my old skidstar after i bumped the gear shifter into neutral with my knee, kept surfing through pain, a couple weeks later still hurting went and got an xray and it was fractured

944256_10151569232425095_1731651411_n.jpg

Reactions: Belly

Craig B

One of Us
Feb 11, 2005
Manly, Sydney
www.instagram.com
I think the negative AAO has had a big play.

Pushing the sub-tropical ridge more north, keeping the monsoon trough further away, and also delivering those northerly winds.

This has also generated lots of swell for the Mid, best run in memory, and also small waves for the Surf Coast without those SE winds.

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
Sunday morning looks the pick for the next week at NE facing beaches so I hope you get out there and hopefully the conditions play out as planned (hopefully the tide is OK for it)

I have every intention of surfing both mornings early almost regardless of conditions. Only impediment is yesterday I had one of those stupid random accidents at home - was sitting at a chair at the kitchen table, leaned back and the back of the (plastic) chair sheared straight off leaving a jagged edge at the bend between seat and back. As a result I fell off the chair backwards and cut the back of my knee pretty badly as I fell past the broken edge of the chair. I have it bandaged up now and I think the bleeding is stopped but it is in a bad place for sitting on my board. My wife will no doubt tell me to toughen up and paddle out so that is what I will be doing :)

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
I have every intention of surfing both mornings early almost regardless of conditions. Only impediment is yesterday I had one of those stupid random accidents at home - was sitting at a chair at the kitchen table, leaned back and the back of the (plastic) chair sheared straight off leaving a jagged edge at the bend between seat and back. As a result I fell off the chair backwards and cut the back of my knee pretty badly as I fell past the broken edge of the chair. I have it bandaged up now and I think the bleeding is stopped but it is in a bad place for sitting on my board. My wife will no doubt tell me to toughen up and paddle out so that is what I will be doing :)

I think we are all carrying an injury from @Belly 's wrist, to @Ted Harper 's Knee to @parkmonkey 's back

@Belly I'm also victim of a skateboarding related injury at the moment. Had a crack at a park last weekend and managed to take all of the skin off the palm of my hand, a good 50c piece chunk now missing and trying very hard to scab over but it's a long, painful process with frequent dressing changes. Pretty lucky really that I didn't do further damage.

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
I think the negative AAO has had a big play.

Pushing the sub-tropical ridge more north, keeping the monsoon trough further away, and also delivering those northerly winds.

This has also generated lots of swell for the Mid, best run in memory, and also small waves for the Surf Coast without those SE winds.

Cheers Craig @SAsurfa

Can you see any joy on the long range outlook?!!

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong

1 Foot East swell says the report this morning @Ted Harper surely you would have struggled 'surfing' this morning....?

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
1 Foot East swell says the report this morning @Ted Harper surely you would have struggled 'surfing' this morning....?

Ha! Had an hour: 19 waves, longest 70.5m, admittedly not many turns. See the stats from my handy dandy tracker; http://surf.traceup.com/stats/u?uId=557376&vId=64476

There was a pod of dolphins around towards the end of the session seemingly fishing successfully (there was that mushed-up fish smell, plus it was dark and a bit drizzly) and the waves were getting worse so an hour is all I gave it.

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
Was lovely morning for a swim.

Agreed. You'all know how today was supposed to be about a foot bigger than yesterday, well (at Palm Beach at least) it managed to be a foot _smaller _than yesterday instead, much to the disappointment of those of my friends who only get to surf one day on the weekend and had called it for today.

Really good conditions for the early though - warm water, (very) warm offshore NW wind, mid-tide, ok swell direction - just would have been ideal if matched with bigger swell.

Oh well, a successful L-plate drive down and back for my son, everyone got a good haul of (little) waves and had a good chat and catch-up, and the apres-surf coffee and cake were of the usual high standard.

NW wind is really hot now. I would expect any Sydney beaches to be very busy through the middle of the day but if any swell can hold together at all through the day and it stays offshore I might even consider going out for a late afternoon session if I can enthuse at least one of my kids to go out too.

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Small to moderate long-range swell looking likely for Wednesday onwards QLD to Northern NSW. Originating South of Tahiti it stands to potential filter into Sydney if the fetch can get it around north of NZ. North Coast open ocean beaches that handle some period should pump.
It's a crying shame about the easterly flow though.
ecmwf_z500_mslp_swpac_3.png

Last edited:

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
Problem here is:
  • Eunice was Cat5 (915hPa:eek:), this one in the NW barely puffed at 50 knots.
  • The tropical mess now in the Indian is cradled by the High around 20S. On the West Coast you really want it heading south of ~30S for the swell to propogate Westward (towards the mainland)... Well at least for the SW.
  • #RIPTCBianca...
    articleimage

Something could be happening this weekend re: weird little west coast cyclone swells.

Had some nice dhufish tonight, was a decent size (35kg+), will never know it's exact weight, big shark took the back end of it. Discerning taste!!

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Something could be happening this weekend re: weird little west coast cyclone swells.

Had some nice dhufish tonight, was a decent size (35kg+), will never know it's exact weight, big shark took the back end of it. Discerning taste!!
Good pick up. Certainly will if it takes EC track - as it spins out South into the Indian. GFS has it dying out around coastal Cervantes. Worth watching.

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Agreed. You'all know how today was supposed to be about a foot bigger than yesterday, well (at Palm Beach at least) it managed to be a foot _smaller _than yesterday instead, much to the disappointment of those of my friends who only get to surf one day on the weekend and had called it for today.

Really good conditions for the early though - warm water, (very) warm offshore NW wind, mid-tide, ok swell direction - just would have been ideal if matched with bigger swell.

Oh well, a successful L-plate drive down and back for my son, everyone got a good haul of (little) waves and had a good chat and catch-up, and the apres-surf coffee and cake were of the usual high standard.

NW wind is really hot now. I would expect any Sydney beaches to be very busy through the middle of the day but if any swell can hold together at all through the day and it stays offshore I might even consider going out for a late afternoon session if I can enthuse at least one of my kids to go out too.

That's disappointing @Ted Harper it looked good on the charts but unfortunately MSW isn't the most reliable source being free and all.

Apparently a little long range S pulse came up yesterday later on so the Afternoon session may well have been better than the early......

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
@nfip - I will get that wave!! If its happened like that before it will happen again ;)

Yeah it's a good one to have one the bucket list Belly.
Especially you are well with-in striking distance , hope you do jag it !
Need the age-old combo sand , swell & winds .
I surfed it , not quite as good as this , circa '83 I'm thinking....

I'm actually at Pambula this coming weekend for a Training course .... if only !.
Might take a couple of boards just in case there is a few small ones around .
Stay tuned for TR with blatant lies and photoshop .

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Also these days if that place does turn on everyone is a lot more clued onto conditions, forecasts etc so it will be a hell of a lot more crowded than what it would have been back in '83!

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
That's disappointing @Ted Harper it looked good on the charts but unfortunately MSW isn't the most reliable source being free and all.

Apparently a little long range S pulse came up yesterday later on so the Afternoon session may well have been better than the early......

One of my friends swears by MSW but I also check CoastalWatch and SurfLine (I have premium/paid accounts on them). None of them indicated it being smaller for Sunday but it was still ok regardless.

Belly

A Local
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2003
South Coast NSW
Also these days if that place does turn on everyone is a lot more clued onto conditions, forecasts etc so it will be a hell of a lot more crowded than what it would have been back in '83!
Yeah places like that everywhere, but a bit like my Vic hometown it helps when you're 4-5 hour+ drive from a major city. That's a big drive to risk it not working.

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
One of my friends swears by MSW but I also check CoastalWatch and SurfLine (I have premium/paid accounts on them). None of them indicated it being smaller for Sunday but it was still ok regardless.

In my experiences I've found it hit and miss.

On occasions I've seen the exact same conditions forecast that were progged for Sunday and found really good, fun waves at Southy for example. I guess at the end of the day, it's a guide and you have to have a look at other sources, charts, etc and way it all up.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Looks like we are set for a potential water temp increase although I quite like it at the moment around 22-23 - notice the warm blob sitting off Sydney region at the moment:

image.imgtype.articleLeadwide.620x0.png

Reactions: Belly

Craig B

One of Us
Feb 11, 2005
Manly, Sydney
www.instagram.com
Looks like we are set for a potential water temp increase although I quite like it at the moment around 22-23 - notice the warm blob sitting off Sydney region at the moment:

image.imgtype.articleLeadwide.620x0.png

You surfed the last few days? It's already in, was stifling yesterday in my 2/2 short arm. Went boardies today.

Lows/troughs feed off this, and we'll see this over the coming days.

Reactions: POW Hungry and nfip

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
You surfed the last few days? It's already in, was stifling yesterday in my 2/2 short arm. Went boardies today.

Lows/troughs feed off this, and we'll see this over the coming days.
Hence the humidity and lack of any cooling even in the NE down South here.

Reactions: Craig B

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
In my experiences I've found it hit and miss.
I guess at the end of the day, it's a guide and you have to have a look at other sources, charts, etc and way it all up.

You know what, I have an even simpler strategy: if I have decided I am going for a surf I will just paddle out anyway and some of my friends are at least as dedicated/silly as that too.

On several occasions this has meant a team paddle up the beach and back to kill time - and hope forlornly that something might break near us - until the coffee shop opens, but we DO paddle out :)

That is my workaround for forecasting models being less than perfect anyway.

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
You know what, I have an even simpler strategy: if I have decided I am going for a surf I will just paddle out anyway and some of my friends are at least as dedicated/silly as that too.

On several occasions this has meant a team paddle up the beach and back to kill time - and hope forlornly that something might break near us - until the coffee shop opens, but we DO paddle out :)

That is my workaround for forecasting models being less than perfect anyway.

With less and less windows of opportunity these days, I'm all for this theory @Ted Harper and keeping a solid quiver of different boards for different conditions I.E. if it's really small take the bigger board out etc and it's also the only real window of opportunity I get for fitness so I'm all for "fitness paddles" :D

Reactions: Sir Surfalot

Fozzie Bear

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Have pretty much given up surfing in the eastern suburbs as just way too crowded enjoy. Have really embraced ocean swimming though and you can even get a sense of solitude when lapping Bondi Beach.

Reactions: nfip

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Have pretty much given up surfing in the eastern suburbs as just way too crowded enjoy. Have really embraced ocean swimming though and you can even get a sense of solitude when lapping Bondi Beach.

Mate of mine used to rely heavily on surfing the 'bra as the stretch spread the crowds out nicely, but I can understand your theory based off Bondi - the place is a freakin' circus!

Reactions: Craig B

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
Still spring weather patterns here on the Goldy. Fark this is weird, we should have had the tradewinds and the SE swells kick in in December at the latest. These NE patterns are very weird for this time of year and a fckn pain in the ar$e.

Swell predicted for tomorrow is the the end of spring? Let's hope so.

parkmonkey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 20, 2005
Still spring weather patterns here on the Goldy. Fark this is weird, we should have had the tradewinds and the SE swells kick in in December at the latest. These NE patterns are very weird for this time of year and a fckn pain in the ar$e.

Swell predicted for tomorrow is the the end of spring? Let's hope so.
A little east swell and southerly for 2 days then back to northerly for the weekend

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Mate of mine used to rely heavily on surfing the 'bra as the stretch spread the crowds out nicely, but I can understand your theory based off Bondi - the place is a freakin' circus!
I'll be honest, in the Eastern Subs we have more opportunity with the prevailing southerly swells, leaving you with a greater consistency (window) of swells to surf. I pick my times to get wet and has made me a more crafty surfer in the line-up...
You learn to be patient whilst still getting waves. Most people reactively neg out in those conditions and that's where I choose to either get my fill or stay out of the water.

Here's a little secret for all who want to surf the eastern suburbs:
  • Surf in the transition periods (7:30-9:30am & 2-4pm week days)
  • Don't surf weekends period (go for a drive)
  • Look for anything 3 foot or over (tourists, even those who think they can surf suffer in anything over a few feet)

Craig B

One of Us
Feb 11, 2005
Manly, Sydney
www.instagram.com
I'll be honest, in the Eastern Subs we have more opportunity with the prevailing southerly swells, leaving you with a greater consistency (window) of swells to surf. I pick my times to get wet and has made me a more crafty surfer in the line-up...
You learn to be patient whilst still getting waves. Most people reactively neg out in those conditions and that's where I choose to either get my fill or stay out of the water.

Here's a little secret for all who want to surf the eastern suburbs:
  • Surf in the transition periods (7:30-9:30am & 2-4pm week days)
  • Don't surf weekends period (go for a drive)
  • Look for anything 3 foot or over (tourists, even those who think they can surf suffer in anything over a few feet)

Same over this side ;)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass