SUN PEAKS 2016 – 2017

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
Hey Marty. You picked a good time to get out of the Hunter valley. 41 in Scone today and building up to 44 on Monday.

Reactions: JoeKing

Marty McSly

A brick propping up the furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW
Hey Marty. You picked a good time to get out of the Hunter valley. 41 in Scone today and building up to 44 on Monday.
I much prefer this forecast...

Screenshot_2017-01-30-21-59-28.png

bluess57

Hard Yards
Aug 2, 2014
Big first day out here. Bluebird conditions fast groomers.
Met a lovely older Canadian couple on first lifts (Michael aka corduroy elephant and Ruth) who showed me round some of the blue & black groomers. Wife peels off and we meet up with his group who call themselves the grizzly bears. Blast around some more at Mach 1 on skis. I peeled off at 12 for quick lunch, to go with the mountain guide group @1pm. Skied till 3:30,
Its a tough life and now I need beer.
Snowdance needed for some fresh.

Reactions: Izzy

chunky

Pool Room
Jul 24, 1998
brisbane,qld,aus
Ironically most Canadians are spending good money to get away from a forecast like that! I'll admit I've started checking the weather for our Mexico destination - a seemingly endless string of sunny days 28-30 C and clear evenings down to 18-20.
We had to have a typical Australian summer holiday this year and we all agreed afterwards that we hope that remains the last one for a long time. Would love to get a northern winter holiday again. Just don't know when.

Reactions: Marty McSly

tr+h

One of Us
Jun 19, 2008
Perth,wa
We had to have a typical Australian summer holiday this year and we all agreed afterwards that we hope that remains the last one for a long time. Would love to get a northern winter holiday again. Just don't know when.
I am strangely enjoying the hot weather for a change. First warm summer in a while. Might also be because our last Perth winter was particularly wet and cold for a large part.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Canadians would be greatly amused by online comments from Aussies complaining about January temps in the 30s. To be fair, rare to hear complaints here when summer temps hit the hit 30s or low 40s. There's only a handful of days a year like that and it cools off at night. Well it does where I live, wouldn't like to be around Toronto and the great lakes, I hear they have massive humidity along with their heat.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth

Let us know your plans beforehand and we will see if we can match them up

Reactions: chunky

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat
Canadians would be greatly amused by online comments from Aussies complaining about January temps in the 30s. To be fair, rare to hear complaints here when summer temps hit the hit 30s or low 40s. There's only a handful of days a year like that and it cools off at night. Well it does where I live, wouldn't like to be around Toronto and the great lakes, I hear they have massive humidity along with their heat.
I think the only people complaining of high temps are people here....we'd rather be skiing :D

Reactions: JoeKing and retread

tr+h

One of Us
Jun 19, 2008
Perth,wa
I'm not complaining about the high temps.

I'm just hoping and loving that they are all happening in Perth when we are up here!
In the last week we've had cool and several days of rain which netted 80+ mm top up to the pool.

Marty McSly

A brick propping up the furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW
Some fresh snow since about midday today. Officials calling 8cm atm.
Tomorrow should be good if this keeps up.
Think I spotted gareth & +1 walking out of the day lodge at 2:10pm
We're a pretty sociable lot here. If you PM @gareth_oau, he and Nikki will happily meet up with you for coffee or a meal. And the outdoor hot tub here at the Cahilty between about 6pm and 7.30 is a good place to meet me or @ski nanna. Just ask for us by our forum names. If you draw a blank, some of the 6 Pommy "Hot Tubbies" (Mel, James, Alex, Aaron, Amos and Cameron) will no doubt be there and up for a drink or dinner.

Astro666

One of Us
Sep 22, 2016
So Korean Airlines are currently doing an $1100 airfare to Vancouver for mid January 2018 departure. I've jumped in and locked in a 2 week Sun Peaks stint.

It's a 21hr total flight, with the leg to Seoul on an A380, and the leg to Van in a 777 dreamliner. So not too shabby.

Looking forward to reuniting with the Sun Peak's Crew.

JLA

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2007
Brisbane
So Korean Airlines are currently doing an $1100 airfare to Vancouver for mid January 2018 departure. I've jumped in and locked in a 2 week Sun Peaks stint.

It's a 21hr total flight, with the leg to Seoul on an A380, and the leg to Van in a 777 dreamliner. So not too shabby.

We've used that route before and it's not too bad. Be prepared for a quick changeover in Seoul.

Reactions: Astro666

bluess57

Hard Yards
Aug 2, 2014
Super cold skiing today.
Started with a "group" 2hr session, all mountain lvl4 instructor and I'm it. Score.
Joined the 1pm mountain guiding group and its 4 of us doing diamonds and possibly some areas we shouldn't.
Sunnyside trees, white rabbit and gils traverse was really good snow.
Fingers crossed more snow predicted.
This is sooo good

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Been going steady all day down in town too. 10-15 cm is a lot for us valley dwellers. I've had enough of shoveling.

Astro666

One of Us
Sep 22, 2016
Isn't that Inchon ? Also, they make you go through screening again. If it's a "quick" changeover, take your running shoes, you'll need them.
Yep, Inchon. But very close to Seoul.

1 hr stop both ways. But a quick turnaround is our preferred way to travel.

Car booked. $620 for SUV for 2 weeks. Economy Car Rentals. Car will be from Thrifty.

So if I can get the same deal on lift tickets as what was offered in May this year. Airfare, Ski in Ski out accom at Cahility, Transfers and lift passes should come to less than AUD$7500 total for the 3 of us, for 2 weeks skiing. Its pretty hard to beat.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Yep, Inchon. But very close to Seoul.

1 hr stop both ways. But a quick turnaround is our preferred way to travel.

Car booked. $620 for SUV for 2 weeks. Economy Car Rentals. Car will be from Thrifty.

So if I can get the same deal on lift tickets as what was offered in May this year. Airfare, Ski in Ski out accom at Cahility, Transfers and lift passes should come to less than AUD$7500 total for the 3 of us, for 2 weeks skiing. Its pretty hard to beat.

great deal.

Hopefully we will be here next season too :out:

chunky

Pool Room
Jul 24, 1998
brisbane,qld,aus

I looked. Can't get anywhere near that price. Good deal for you!

bluess57

Hard Yards
Aug 2, 2014
I checkout in the morning, be switching to Silver Star. Have had an absolute blast here. The mountain guide groups have been excellent. Yesterday smashing down powder bumps on Morrisey was exhausting. Lots of light and dry yesterday. Today a bit crusty/wind affected and heavy offpiste, has tripped up myself and a few others. Saw a spectacular crash, guy skiing nicely down sunnyside, hits the cat track, one ski spiral pivot, lands on his back down about 2m and just short of trees.very lucky.

Just need to get back here someday.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass