Snow Report Sun Peaks 2017 - 2018

ski

Hard Yards
Jan 8, 2011
Hello - I'm hoping a regular Sun Peaks visitor may be able to help with the impossible.

We are trying to get accommodation with some kind of kitchen facilities for Sun Peaks from the 24th Dec to 7th Jan - we were hoping to pay no more than $4000 for the 3 of us - 2 adults and one 11 year old - but this looks to be impossible.

I've tried VRBO, Trivago, bookings.com, hotelscombined and travel agents and the overall consensus is that Sun Peaks is booked out!

Is there anyone who knows a secret travel site that has some accommodation with some availability that they wouldn't mind sharing with me - I would be very grateful :)

thanks......

SnowflakesRule

Hard Yards
May 1, 2017

ski

Hard Yards
Jan 8, 2011
Did a quick search on www.ownerdirect.com
Results are here:

https://www.ownerdirect.com/accommo...eparture~2018-01-07/adults~2/youths~18/sort~5

They seem to have availability for your dates. You usually negotiate with the owner so the prices may not necessarily be that much but that will depend on the individual owners and what they are willing to do to have someone there. Always worth a shot and the customer service with OD has always been great to me.

Good luck

Thanks - I didn't realise those prices could be negotiated as they are a lot more than we can pay.

Reactions: SnowflakesRule

SnowflakesRule

Hard Yards
May 1, 2017
Thanks - I didn't realise those prices could be negotiated as they are a lot more than we can pay.

Go through the process of requesting a quote through the website. The request goes through to customer service and they then contact the owner. Write something along the lines of "we're interested in your property between the dates of etc etc and were wondering what rate you would be willing to do a stay of that length for."

We've been lucky in the past and negotiated a couple of good deals through them including our next trip of a month at Silver Star for $5.5K (2bed 2bath) Mid Dec to Mid Jan. Not saying we couldn't have gotten something cheaper but it suits our needs and was happy to pay that - this time. It's really a matter of what the owners are willing to settle for.

As @Legs Akimbo said you are aiming peak season. If there's any chance of pushing it out another week, things will be better. First place on that link I gave you drops by 1K - without negotiation. You might also find there's more availability then too.

Reactions: ski

ski

Hard Yards
Jan 8, 2011
No problem, I hope you have a fantastic trip.
I ended up phoning them direct as booking.com said that only a king was available and we wanted the 2 queens as I didn't fancy sharing a bed with hubby and daughter!

I spoke to the owner and ended up getting a $300 discount on the booking.com prices even taking into account the exchange rate - so it was well worth the call.

thanks everyone - all booked

silva

One of Us
Feb 1, 2006
NSW
I ended up phoning them direct as booking.com said that only a king was available and we wanted the 2 queens as I didn't fancy sharing a bed with hubby and daughter!

I spoke to the owner and ended up getting a $300 discount on the booking.com prices even taking into account the exchange rate - so it was well worth the call.

Good to hear a great outcome. Let us know what the accommodation is like - have not heard it talked about much but it looks ok.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth

the $300 discount offered was possibly because the owner dodnt have to pay booking.com a fee

Ralph_Plow

One of Us
Jun 29, 2017
Indeed, always pays to ask. In my experience it is obviously possible to get better deals than advertised at Xmas, just more difficult than January.

Hudson

One of Us
Feb 7, 2013
Sun Peaks, BC
image.jpeg
Book early as soon as you know your plans. The week before Xmas, until the time the Aussies and Kiwis leave, will always be a challenge. Later in the season there is more snow, fewer lineups, is usually warmer and the days are longer. I know, it does not fit into your school break.

There are accessory suites in most of the homes. Quite a few never applied for the short-term accommodation to RS-1. So they sit there only available for 30+ day stays. We are in that category.

Just returned to SPs after two months East. I must have brought the rain and clear skies. The two days of intermittent rain showers has done wonders. My lawn never needed cutting the entire time. Even the weeds went dormant. Never had that occur before. A nice golden yellow colour to the grass.

Time to clean the windows, decks and other areas from the particulate matter that accumulated. Must have been tough for those who stayed and breathed in the smokey air, dismal! On the AQHI the numbers never strayed much lower than 5 the entire summer. That is the reading from Kamloops but it translates to the same numbers here. We noticed the smokey skies as we left North Dakota for Canada while on the drive home.

Mr Fox noticed we were back and wanted to offer a gift. He was sitting on the gravel looking up at us with a ground squirrel in his mouth. As soon as I got a camera out he wandered off. I should have taken better photo but it was done in a hurry so it is blurry.

Hudson

One of Us
Feb 7, 2013
Sun Peaks, BC
In Banff National Park for a week of camping in our trailer. Great weather, without the crowds.
Highly recommend a Canadian Summer in the Rockies. Jasper, Banff and Waterton Lakes. Our favourites. Banff is truly a beautiful town. One could spent days exploring the museums and shops.
The hiking trails are wonderful. First came to Banff in 1977. It has really matured.

Off to Sunshine Meadows for a hike seeing the Larches and the lakes. There is WiFi at the viewing platform so you can Skype your friends to show them the view.

The Rockies are a gem. A must see for the overseas tourist. Early Sept leaves the crowds behind and the added benefit of seeing the initial snows on the peaks. Most Sun Peakers leave for the summer on camping trips.

Marty McSly

A brick propping up the furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW
There are accessory suites in most of the homes. Quite a few never applied for the short-term accommodation to RS-1. So they sit there only available for 30+ day stays.
I'll make a mental note of that. I stayed some 39 nights in SP this year. The rate I got at Cahilty was pretty good but I'd also look at other options for next time if I can swing a similar length of stay.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
I'll make a mental note of that. I stayed some 39 nights in SP this year. The rate I got at Cahilty was pretty good but I'd also look at other options for next time if I can swing a similar length of stay.

If you say 30 nights or more, your rate changes from nightly to monthly and you can avoid one of the local taxes

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
We actually stayed a few days extra on one of our trips beciuase we planned on 4 weeks, but the lower taxes for 30 days meant we got the last two days for free

Hudson

One of Us
Feb 7, 2013
Sun Peaks, BC
Spartan Games in full swing. Watched the events lower down the mtn. Looks like fun. Would have participated in my "ute" if they were offered.

Met a group of 40 something participants who are making SPs their weekend ski home this coming season. All Whistler refugees. A few bought into the Village Walk development. The common theme was the unpredictable snow and horrendous lineups at Whistler, not to mention the drive to the lifts each morning. Also, their drive timewise is not much more to reach SPs from the lower rainland.

I haven't checked rental availability this ski season but it could get tight very quickly. Far cry from 2008-2009 when you could have your pick of accomo. Our second season here we had landlords offering their rental for our long term stay. We took the same place again as it was a great ski-in, ski-out right to the door and the old dog we had at the time loved the sunlight and gas fireplace where he slept all day.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
https://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/sun-peaks-tops-b-c-population-growth/

It's still tiny of course, but SP is the fastest growing municipality in BC with 66% growth in the past five years, or 13% annual. That compares to BC's average rate of 5.6%. The school continues to grow and has over 140 students enrolled, so this isn't just retirees causing the population growth. We're seeing some of this in the Okanagan as well - families with school-age kids cashing out on their lower mainland homes while prices remain stratospheric and working remotely.

Astro666

One of Us
Sep 22, 2016
And From Tuesday to opening day. It's just wave after wave of fronts hitting the Pacific North West. With spill over into the Interior BC. And with the 540 line predominately staying well into the Lower 48. It's looking like an amazing start.

Attachments

• Webp.net-gifmaker.gif
    Webp.net-gifmaker.gif
    2.5 MB · Views: 1

Taipan

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
NSW Mid North Coast
Another couple of weeks till the season opens. Great early dump and the temps are now cold.

Somebody threw a switch?

Suddenly -13 village - 16 mid mountain and -18 top of the world!

I arrive for season 5 weeks yesterday. Staying till March 21.

They have really been working on thinning out for the glade skiing.

Always need a sold base for glade skiing. No point heading into early before the nasties have been covered up.

Hudson

One of Us
Feb 7, 2013
Sun Peaks, BC
Another couple of weeks till the season opens. Great early dump and the temps are now cold.

Somebody threw a switch?

Suddenly -13 village - 16 mid mountain and -18 top of the world!

I arrive for season 5 weeks yesterday. Staying till March 21.

They have really been working on thinning out for the glade skiing.

Always need a sold base for glade skiing. No point heading into early before the nasties have been covered up.

Recently the burn piles have been reduced to ashes. Should be great for glade skiing. Walked up the hill to see what was aboot recently. Lots of hill grooming (cutting the grass) Anyone in SPs now?

Been away in TO for some tuneup surgery. Thankfully there are private clinics. Sports injuries are part of life.

In YVR to stock up on food that can not be sourced in Kamloops and to give the "chief" a break from the shoulder season. Nice weather here. Mr Hudson is checking out all the coastal squirrels as they have hibernated in SPs already.

On another note, Mr Fox, who is obviously fed by the kids at the school, came right up to us one night. He just sat there waiting for us at the construction site across from us. He has no fear of humans or dogs.
Sad, as he will not last long next season.

From the SPS website info, the base is building. I should be there the whole season again this year.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Recently the burn piles have been reduced to ashes. Should be great for glade skiing. Walked up the hill to see what was aboot recently. Lots of hill grooming (cutting the grass) Anyone in SPs now?

Been away in TO for some tuneup surgery. Thankfully there are private clinics. Sports injuries are part of life.

In YVR to stock up on food that can not be sourced in Kamloops and to give the "chief" a break from the shoulder season. Nice weather here. Mr Hudson is checking out all the coastal squirrels as they have hibernated in SPs already.

On another note, Mr Fox, who is obviously fed by the kids at the school, came right up to us one night. He just sat there waiting for us at the construction site across from us. He has no fear of humans or dogs.

From the SPS website info, the base is building. I should be there the whole season again this year.

make sure you post lots of pics and stories. Unfortunately I will only be enjoying SP vicariously this year

northsail

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2011
Gods country, Martinsville

See you first lift 4th January Hudson. :woohoo::ski:

Reactions: Hudson and Taipan

Taipan

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
NSW Mid North Coast
Hudson - Just a heads up. GOATT will be arriving in a fortnight. He is instructing for the season so will be there from 17th November to close of lifts April.

Hudson

One of Us
Feb 7, 2013
Sun Peaks, BC
And From Tuesday to opening day. It's just wave after wave of fronts hitting the Pacific North West. With spill over into the Interior BC. And with the 540 line predominately staying well into the Lower 48. It's looking like an amazing start.

Building nicely from the looks of it.

Hudson

One of Us
Feb 7, 2013
Sun Peaks, BC
The lower runs to the village all appear to have had more summer grooming than I have ever seen.
If the snow continues, we should have good coverage by opening day.

We haven't had a lot of rain before the recent snow came. It has been dry, dry. Hope to avoid the running water under the snow that we experienced before. The recent cold will easily penetrate through the snow layer.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass