Travel Life Sun Peaks 2018 - 2019

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
This year just gone we went to Europe and skied in Mayrhofen (Ziller Valley), Dolomites and the hills around Aosta (Cervinia, La Thuile, Courmayeur). Previous years have been trips based around the Mountain Collective Pass. So variations of Alta, Snowbird, Jackson Hole, Snowbasin, Aspen, Sun Valley, Mammoth, Squaw/Alpine, Banff (sunshine/Lake Louise), Revelstoke and Whistler a couple of times while they were on it. Others too of course but just a day or two here and there.
Quite a diverse collection of hills. What is drawing you to Sun Peaks? Most of the places you have been to have a different terrain profile to Sun Peaks.

Sbooker

One of Us
Sep 28, 2015
Quite a diverse collection of hills. What is drawing you to Sun Peaks? Most of the places you have been to have a different terrain profile to Sun Peaks.

I thought the ski in ski out aspect would be good for a longer duration than a new days. And being a small village the kids may be more likely to bump into other kids regularly. I am concerned it may be a little samey though.

Beerman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 15, 2015
Brisvegas
There are a few ways to look at this situation.
  1. Kids put up with decision and make the most of it while there (whatever the destination) and possible winging later.
  2. Hook up with other forumites at a particular hill (S.P. is a good example of this in action) We met 4 other forum members and their families this year, and was a great way to meet similarly minded people for skiing, apres etc.
  3. Invite friends skiing to the same place and time as you.
  4. Leave kids at home while parents go to Europe, Canadia, USA etc.
We've done all the above except No.4, as my lot are happy to make the most of where we go, if others are involved it just makes the holiday more memorable.

ralf_plough

One of Us
Nov 5, 2018
To answer your question, yes, it is quite easy for kids to meet other kids at SP. It is made easier by pre organised things like Hockey nights/family skate nights, and by meet ups organised on forums like this. The way the resort is set up also means it is pretty easy to run into people you know on the slopes once you can recognise them.

Our last trip (2 weeks ago) we seldom organised to ski with people, but almost always ran into someone we knew and had a few runs.

Ski in/out on an extended trip is also a great convenience, and while some scoff at it as unecessary, it makes the job of kidding the kids out in the morning very simple, and it allows to save a heap of cash by having lunch at "home".

Sbooker

One of Us
Sep 28, 2015
  1. Kids put up with decision and make the most of it while there (whatever the destination) and possible winging later.
  2. Hook up with other forumites at a particular hill (S.P. is a good example of this in action) We met 4 other forum members and their families this year, and was a great way to meet similarly minded people for skiing, apres etc.
We've done all the above except No.4, as my lot are happy to make the most of where we go, if others are involved it just makes the holiday more memorable.

Thanks for the response.

1. They will do this. The question is mine as I want them to have the best time possible. They would never whinge.
2. Good idea. This is one reason Sun Peaks appeals.
3. Our friends either do not ski or are far to tight to shell out thousands to do so. I wish this wasn't the case.
4. The only time we'll do this is for our 20th wedding anniversary next year which will be a separate trip.

Beerman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 15, 2015
Brisvegas
Thanks for the response.

2. Good idea. This is one reason Sun Peaks appeals.
3. Our friends either do not ski or are far to tight to shell out thousands to do so. I wish this wasn't the case.
2. Thanks to a few Forumites that A. live there, or B. own a property there, or C. return travellers, it's a good place to go.
3. Find some new friends....................;)

Reactions: Taipan
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

BoofHead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Aug 8, 2007
Brisbane
No. 4 in 2020. Giddy up!!

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
CCs are all good though some don't take amex (as typical)

We barely used any cash, even $5 purchases straight onto the CC, though you will pay commission and exchange fees when you get yr statement.

There are a couple of ATMs at SP, but they have been compromised a few times in the past, so look for anything dodgy on them

Last edited:

Taipan

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
NSW Mid North Coast
No you would need more than a kg...

Had another look at the numbers again.

One of these for 4 people.

ADCE0F4C-DC1F-45C3-BDF1-6E5409646983_zps4n2bh2m3.jpeg

7CAF8D0F-8C43-47C2-A388-1DE7BC4411BE_zpsvkrb8oqw.jpeg

B55628D9-BBAB-4251-9A54-0F9247CDBDEE_zpsb63dyo8n.jpeg

ralf_plough

One of Us
Nov 5, 2018
SP has 135 runs so if you are there for 3 weeks that’s 6+ new ones you can try every single day before starting over

135 marked runs. The unmarked ones are where the fun is. Can take a few weeks to suss them out, in fact much longer to really find the corners of untracked a few weeks after a storm, but they are there.

chrisj

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 30, 2018
Terrigal, Darkinjung country
Well my experience is rapidly turning into a nightmare. This morning's SYD to YVR flight delayed 35 minutes, leaving 30 minutes to catch linking flight to Lamloops. Breeze through all the fancy electronic Customs and Immigration points, only to arrive at a queue of about 100 people, being serviced by two laidback officials whose jobs seem to be checking all the documents which have just been printed out by the ridgy-didge scanners. Needless to say, miss Kamloops flight and get boarding pass for next flight, 3 hours later. Report for that flight to be informed it is full and I have been bumped. In fact, all the flights to Kamloops are booked out and I and four others in the same position will just have to hope someone doesn't turn up. If that doesn't happen, Air Canada can recommend some hotels in Vancouver, or would a flight to a different city do? When I mention this is a bit unsatisfactory, the response is, "Well, you were late for your booked flight."
I should have listened to @Lady Penelope. Never, ever fly Air Canada. Japan is sure looking sweet.

ralf_plough

One of Us
Nov 5, 2018
Air Canada are pretty shite when things go wrong, but to be honest, this is a known thing. I'd never leave such a tight Kamloops connection, always leave a couple of hours at YVR for stuff around factor.

This is not just something i'd do for AC either, can never rely of a 14 hour flight being exactly on time, too many variables IMO.

Reactions: sly_karma

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
Well my experience is rapidly turning into a nightmare. This morning's SYD to YVR flight delayed 35 minutes, leaving 30 minutes to catch linking flight to Lamloops. Breeze through all the fancy electronic Customs and Immigration points, only to arrive at a queue of about 100 people, being serviced by two laidback officials whose jobs seem to be checking all the documents which have just been printed out by the ridgy-didge scanners. Needless to say, miss Kamloops flight and get boarding pass for next flight, 3 hours later. Report for that flight to be informed it is full and I have been bumped. In fact, all the flights to Kamloops are booked out and I and four others in the same position will just have to hope someone doesn't turn up. If that doesn't happen, Air Canada can recommend some hotels in Vancouver, or would a flight to a different city do? When I mention this is a bit unsatisfactory, the response is, "Well, you were late for your booked flight."
I should have listened to @Lady Penelope. Never, ever fly Air Canada. Japan is sure looking sweet.
I feel your pain! Interestingly enough when we returned home after our trip to Canada last year I fed back my impressions of Air Canada to the travel agent we booked through. She mentioned numerous incidents where her clients had missed connections to Kamloops with that airline including a group travelling business class who were told they wouldn’t get another flight for two days! I’d rather fly Air NZ or pretty much any other airline next time. I hope you arrive there soon, @chrisj :(

tr+h

One of Us
Jun 19, 2008
Perth,wa
Were flights all on one booking?

Reactions: Normo

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat
I would ask AC that if you organised a transfer via road will they cough up. It's and easy drive. Also you could check with your travel insurance if they will cover that cost. $160 pp.

Or fly to Kelowna and get a shuttle from there. $135 pp

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Yes, they were. I pointed out to the Air Canada people that I contracted with them in good faith to fly me from Sydney to Kamloops, but they don't care. They don't even pretend to care. It's like an episode of Fawlty Towers.
A public whinge on their facebook page may get a response

Astro66

Still looking for a park in Thredbo
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Subs Syd
7 flights to and from Vancouver in 9 years during peak January period. Never had a single airline issue.

Young Astro's fiancee tried to get to Kamloops once, with Air Canada, and was also stranded in Vancouver. She took a bus, and got their late, but at least got there.

2 things.

1) Never ever will I use Air Canada.
2) I always use ground transport from YVR. That is, Hire a car in my case. But shuttles and buses work too. There is normally one of roads open to Sun Peaks.

Regarding Japan. DSNS experienced similar issues on his recent trip to Japan. This is an Airline and Airport issue.

Learn your Airports. There are airports that short connections are fesible. Vancouver is definitely not one of them. Nor is pretty much any US port.

A person next to us, in line at LAX, said to a Customs Official that they were going to miss their connection. He said quite equivocally. " I don't care !"

Reactions: Normo

chrisj

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 30, 2018
Regarding the short connection issue, I was dubious when I booked, but Air Canada doesn't seem to offer a later connection as part of a single booking. Foolishly, as it turns out, I figured AC must know their business.
As to Japan, things go wrong there like anywhere else, but you can bet your bottom dollar they will do everything possible to put matters right. These turkeys don't even pretend to care.
One bright note (sorta). It's puking down at YVR.
20190210_134912.jpg

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat
Regarding the short connection issue, I was dubious when I booked, but Air Canada doesn't seem to offer a later connection as part of a single booking. Foolishly, as it turns out, I figured AC must know their business.
As to Japan, things go wrong there like anywhere else, but you can bet your bottom dollar they will do everything possible to put matters right. These turkeys don't even pretend to care.
One bright note (sorta). It's puking down at YVR.
20190210_134912.jpg
Does this mean you are scheduled for a flight ???

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
I was scheduled for a flight, but the late arrival of the SYD-YVR flight meant I missed it. Since then, I've been on standby for every flight to Kamloops.

Usually they make up 30mins but allowing 65 mins between landing International and catching another flight is pretty short. I am amazed they let you book it like that.

BilbyBill

One of Us
Apr 27, 2001
Tawonga, Australia.
After 15 trips from Melbourne to Canada, 13 of them flying with Air Canada, we finaly saw the light. We now fly with Qantas via LA. We factor in one more night and spend the night at the Fairmont Vancouver Airport on the way in. Travelled this way for the last 3 trips without problem. All fights have been booked on one ticket through a travel agent. We like at least 3 hours for conections.

Reactions: aazz

chrisj

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 30, 2018
Usually they make up 30mins but allowing 65 mins between landing International and catching another flight is pretty short. I am amazed they let you book it like that.
They didn't let me book it like that. They more or less insisted. When I tried to book Sydney-Kamloops, that was the connection offered. If I wanted a later connection, it would have been two bookings and cost a lot more. With the wisdom of hindsight, I should have sprung for the later connection, but I sorta figured if I missed my connection, I would just be put on a later flight, never suspecting that all flights would be booked out.
In breaking news, all flights to Kamloops have now been canceled due to heavy snow. I feel much better getting screwed over by the weather than by AC. Got a seat booked for tomorrow evening, weather permitting. Any suggestions for how to spend a day in Vancouver?

chrisj

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 30, 2018
After 15 trips from Melbourne to Canada, 13 of them flying with Air Canada, we finaly saw the light. We now fly with Qantas via LA. We factor in one more night and spend the night at the Fairmont Vancouver Airport on the way in. Travelled this way for the last 3 trips without problem. All fights have been booked on one ticket through a travel agent. We like at least 3 hours for conections.
I might stick with Europe and Japan in the future. It's just easier.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass