Travel Life Sun Peaks 2018 - 2019

chrisj

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 30, 2018
Terrigal, Darkinjung country
When you need a coffee break stop in at Bolacco Cafe, probably the nicest coffee.

Say hello to Conrad for me
Conrad and I are already old mates. I've already been there three times and Nancy Greene was there for two of them, so I guess that's a big endorsement. Love their pastries. I'm just trying to summon the energy to go for a skate this evening.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

tr+h

One of Us
Jun 19, 2008
Perth,wa
Conrad’s a smart man. Smile. Nod. Oh yeah those guys! Turns to coffee machine and keeps making coffee! Thinks to himself.....bloody aussies. Turns to pastries, plates more amazing pastries. Smiles again, head tips back and laughs. Picks up dirty dishes. Smiles.

He remembers us all!!

Reactions: chrisj

chrisj

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 30, 2018
Terrigal, Darkinjung country
Conrad’s a smart man. Smile. Nod. Oh yeah those guys! Turns to coffee machine and keeps making coffee! Thinks to himself.....bloody aussies. Turns to pastries, plates more amazing pastries. Smiles again, head tips back and laughs. Picks up dirty dishes. Smiles.

He remembers us all!!
He'll remember me. I'm the dopey old dude who broke one of his cups and bled all over his shop.

rugbyskier

One of Us
Jul 7, 2008
Queanbeyan & Thredbo
Ok, who's the soup Nazi?
no+soup+for+you.jpg

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
there is a view that SP reports conservtively, so whatever they report,you can assume its a bit better
Don’t they simply report a measurement from a gauge like everywhere else? Doesn’t mean that a skier won’t encounter more than the reported amount when moving around the mountain - they almost always will. But a snow gauge reading is a snow gauge reading.

Actually just looking at their web cams they really could do with modernising by having a live cam on a snow stake. Gives people a much better idea of what is going on.

Astro66

Still looking for a park in Thredbo
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Subs Syd
Don’t they simply report a measurement from a gauge like everywhere else?
No. It's not like everywhere else. Many resorts have a human read the gauge. Then clear off the snow.

Sun Peaks have an automated gauge, and it's always under estimating fallen snow. When first installed. It was ridiculously inaccurate. Barely reporting half the fallen snow.

I love the under reporting. People go elsewhere. More untracked for us.

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
No. It's not like everywhere else. Many resorts have a human read the gauge. Then clear off the snow.

Sun Peaks have an automated gauge, and it's always under estimating fallen snow. When first installed. It was ridiculously inaccurate. Barely reporting half the fallen snow.

I love the under reporting. People go elsewhere. More untracked for us.
Sounds very odd.

NWTmagic

Hard Yards
Oct 1, 2009
We drove 18 hours from Fort Simpson, Northwest Territories to Calgary on Friday. A night to rest up here and tomorrow we'll be off for the 7 hour drive to Kamloops. Stop there for some supplies and we hear there is a good sale on lift tickets at Sportchek. Saturday night at Cahilty. Can't wait!! Hope I haven't missed all of you and somebody might be up for a beer. See ya.

Reactions: sly_karma

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
We drove 18 hours from Fort Simpson, Northwest Territories to Calgary on Friday. A night to rest up here and tomorrow we'll be off for the 7 hour drive to Kamloops. Stop there for some supplies and we hear there is a good sale on lift tickets at Sportchek. Saturday night at Cahilty. Can't wait!! Hope I haven't missed all of you and somebody might be up for a beer. See ya.

compare the sportchek pricing with the SP online pricing, not sure which is better

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Don’t they simply report a measurement from a gauge like everywhere else? Doesn’t mean that a skier won’t encounter more than the reported amount when moving around the mountain - they almost always will. But a snow gauge reading is a snow gauge reading.

Actually just looking at their web cams they really could do with modernising by having a live cam on a snow stake. Gives people a much better idea of what is going on.

and don't worry too much, its a standing joke here about SP centimetres

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
by the way @chrisj ask Konrad about his children.

(his children are the 4 snowman mugs on the top shelf of the cupboard behind the table ;) )

Nikki wanted to buy them, but was politely told they arent for sale LOL

cqen2l

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2003
Northern Beaches
A decent drive!

Reactions: NWTmagic

ralf_plough

One of Us
Nov 5, 2018
What are “sun peaks cm”?

Most times we would have more than reported on the balcony rail. Not wind blown, there is seldom wind in the valley.

Their system of measuring gives an automated hourly measurement mid mountain but it is shite. It affects their snowfall numbers for sure.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass