Sun Peaks 2019-2020

Reetro

One of Us
Sep 7, 2017
All on track. Objective set. 100 days, 1,000,000+ feet.

Day 53. 550,000 feet

Only another 7 weeks left. On track for task completion. :D

Great conditions out there today. Powder and bumps.
All at Sun peaks? that would be easy? Its keeping it going, well done on that effort. Lucky thing

Reactions: ralphplough

Taipan

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
NSW Mid North Coast
Its like surfing multiple breaks in your local area.

Every day, conditions are different, snow is different, runs are different. Temperatures are different. Morning/Afternoon.

Couple of days ago, i skied tighten your boots, rice bowl, last chance, Challenger for the first time.

Some runs need more snow. Some out of the sun or in the sun.

Two runs near to each other can ski totally differently.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Yes once you really know a resort the tiny nuanced differences between runs come into play for sure. Early shadowing or early sun, a little spring that causes a certain small pitch to ice up, the runs that catch drifted snow after overnight wind from a certain direction... all of these and a dozen more come into play as each season goes on. On a powder day this local knowledge is like gold, takes you places where you're getting tracks late in the day, long after the punters have told themselves the place is skied out.

Reactions: Born2ski and Taipan

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
A recent reader @parkmonkey posted this question

"What is the correlation with being an extremely average older skier and supporting trump?

#18042parkmonkey, Saturday at 10:10 PM"

Couple of clips from yesterday. Yes its flat.

Video unavailable
This video contains content from Aviator Management GmbH, who has blocked it on copyright grounds, even with a Canadian VPN server.

JLA

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2007
Brisbane
Looking for help/leads on accommodation for the 20/21 season on behalf of my son James. He has secured a position with Derek at Jardines and is now on the hunt for suitable digs. He would prefer a studio or similar within easy walking distance of the village. He is a non smoker, light drinker and not regarded as a party animal. He can get references other than from his parents.

PM me with contacts, if preferred.

Thanks

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Weary

Hard Yards
Jul 10, 2019
Looking for help/leads on accommodation for the 20/21 season on behalf of my son James. He has secured a position with Derek at Jardines and is now on the hunt for suitable digs. He would prefer a studio or similar within easy walking distance of the village. He is a non smoker, light drinker and not regarded as a party animal. He can get references other than from his parents.

PM me with contacts, if preferred.

Thanks
Can’t he just stay the Burfield, that’s where my son is ATM

parkmonkey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 20, 2005
On a wave or mountain face near you.
Copped so much shit on this for so long.

Is it To or Too! LOL
I dunno, hope you liked your headline took me a good couple mins to run this off
258BDDAB-7381-458E-BDC1-37D6357153D9.jpeg

Reactions: cqen2l

Joe

Near a silver lining
Jun 29, 2018
Queensland
He has had an epiphany and now loves bumps.

Might have something to do with skiing with auntie Tim Tam is a bumps demon and who at 78 shows up 75% of the mountain. Cant let her ski them alone.
I couldn't tell, Were you on your new skis ?
What length and bindings did you get ?

Taipan

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
NSW Mid North Coast
Feet, read as metres..

Even so, get up every day and ski. Yes living the dream.

Easy for 2 weeks, 3, 4, ..

Ski lifts open to lifts closed. For 7-21 days - possible.

But ...14 weeks every day. And I’m not 20. Now 60. Skiing 41 years. Why? 0 reason apart from always giving myself a goal. Maybe not Olympic gold medal - but its my goal.

Climbing into the gear every day, not easy, until you reach the third turn of the day and then you instantly remember how much you love skiing. And you love skiing.

Good days are wonderful like yesterday. Down days are tougher. Then you need local knowledge.

Yesterday - second time this year they were avalanche clearing in the resort.

I’m sure some call bullshit. Usual whiners. If your so wonderful - why aren’t you skiing all season?

And in the end day by day you manage the legs and body and keep going. Never ever give up.

Hope others can live the dream, and their skiing love, wherever they want to ski.

Just best wishes to all those who have the desire to live the dream.

Gordo

Early Days
Feb 16, 2020

But ...14 weeks every day. And I’m not 20. Now 60. Skiing 41 years. Why? 0 reason apart from always giving myself a goal. Maybe not Olympic gold medal - but its my goal.

Climbing into the gear every day, not easy, until you reach the third turn of the day and then you instantly remember how much you love skiing. And you love skiing.

Good days are wonderful like yesterday. Down days are tougher. Then you need local knowledge.

I’m sure some call bullshit. Usual whiners. If your so wonderful - why aren’t you skiing all season?

And in the end day by day you manage the legs and body and keep going. Never ever give up.

Hope others can live the dream, and their skiing love, wherever they want to ski.

I joined this forum just to like this post

Joe

Near a silver lining
Jun 29, 2018
Queensland

Well done so far @Taipan, ski fit and managing recovery well so all mental from here on in.

Stats will be worth framing & parked up next to Wiegele pics.... ;)

Reactions: Taipan

Reetro

One of Us
Sep 7, 2017
You just get in the grove. I can still ski reasonable metres. 12-15k a day. for 14 , Did 250000 m in 5 weeks 2 years ago. Well done , its a great spot , we got a week there and brought 2ft of snow

Reactions: Taipan

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
This has turned into an outstanding season and there's still 2 months left to go. 300 cm base is a big big deal for interior BC, maybe once in a decade scenario. To be there so earlier is even more exceptional. Remember, normally base accumulation continues until mid-late March in the mid mountain and above. Could see the mythical 350 cm base at this rate.

Huge turnaround from the pretty ordinary cover at Christmas. The start was the NYE dump of 50 cm, then followed by a January where substantial snow came every week. Normally there is a sustained cold dry spell in January but this one was very brief and good snow came before and after to compensate. Unusually snowy January and here we are at possibly the deepest mid Feb snowpack ever seen.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
They'll throw a huge party if they do hit 350 cm, seems likely people will then see sasquatch, pink elephants, flying pigs...

Reetro

One of Us
Sep 7, 2017
I thought a quick after ski report was in order. We left Oz on 10 Dec, stayed a night at Tokyo Narita and then hit Vancouver. With a Dodge Durango in hand and 4 slick winter tires (tyres sic) we ventured up to see Mt Seymour with snow falling, staying in Deeeep Cove. We leave civi and head out to Sun Peaks over the Cock or COQ as its really know. Never thought 100 on snow was really possible. Light snow all the way. SP is great into Stones Throw, impressed. booked next Jan again. Everyone is apologising for 90cm , but as I said we bring the snow, 2 feet and 8-10 inch deep POW was great on Morrisey. Saw the sun once. Had a ski guide each! Bought my wife's skis. Pretty happy to say even before we had heavy snow, some of the best groomers , we had good fun. Left SP for Vernon then Chrissy at Big White, worth a further stay next Jan and Silverstar will get a go too. After Big white back to Vancouver via Osoyoos and E c Manning Park on a fine day. The tires are getting a workout.. Menat to say 2.5 feet at Big White. So we do Whistler, ya have too once. The skiing was free, got 9 days. 7ft of snow. Got the day of the decade. It was good..more like Perisher, what was it, the snow, The lines... Left Whistler snow all the way into Vancouver , they get a couple of feet back to Seattle to Hawaii.. Seattle gets a foot of snow too.. SP got to -18, Big White -20 Whistler -13 and Vancouver -12 and at the US border at midday -12 , bizzare, cold. Was a great relief from home in Brissy!
Car went great , left for home after 36 days , 10 days at Turtle Bay and Wakiki rounded out our first trip overseas as a fam.
All parties happy, keen for more. Was thinking Heavenly next Jan but the last 3 weeks of NO snow has got me booing Stones again. Looking forward to skiing Perisher this year and SP again. Let see how the frequents work out! Brad

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
I thought a quick after ski report was in order. We left Oz on 10 Dec, stayed a night at Tokyo Narita and then hit Vancouver. With a Dodge Durango in hand and 4 slick winter tires (tyres sic) we ventured up to see Mt Seymour with snow falling, staying in Deeeep Cove. We leave civi and head out to Sun Peaks over the Cock or COQ as its really know. Never thought 100 on snow was really possible. Light snow all the way. SP is great into Stones Throw, impressed. booked next Jan again. Everyone is apologising for 90cm , but as I said we bring the snow, 2 feet and 8-10 inch deep POW was great on Morrisey. Saw the sun once. Had a ski guide each! Bought my wife's skis. Pretty happy to say even before we had heavy snow, some of the best groomers , we had good fun. Left SP for Vernon then Chrissy at Big White, worth a further stay next Jan and Silverstar will get a go too. After Big white back to Vancouver via Osoyoos and E c Manning Park on a fine day. The tires are getting a workout.. Menat to say 2.5 feet at Big White. So we do Whistler, ya have too once. The skiing was free, got 9 days. 7ft of snow. Got the day of the decade. It was good..more like Perisher, what was it, the snow, The lines... Left Whistler snow all the way into Vancouver , they get a couple of feet back to Seattle to Hawaii.. Seattle gets a foot of snow too.. SP got to -18, Big White -20 Whistler -13 and Vancouver -12 and at the US border at midday -12 , bizzare, cold. Was a great relief from home in Brissy!
Car went great , left for home after 36 days , 10 days at Turtle Bay and Wakiki rounded out our first trip overseas as a fam.
All parties happy, keen for more. Was thinking Heavenly next Jan but the last 3 weeks of NO snow has got me booing Stones again. Looking forward to skiing Perisher this year and SP again. Let see how the frequents work out! Brad
Great trip.

There’s no guarantees with snow, anywhere. You’ve experienced a great period of snowfall.

Sounds like you’d probably enjoy the Summit County Epic resorts. Brecki is usually a safe bet in January. Lovely town, much more interesting than the purpose built places like Big White too.

Reactions: Reetro

Izzy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Sawtell, NSW
@Ret-ro, was that Seattle --> Honolulu --> Brisbane flight with Hawaiian? If so, what were your thoughts? I am looking at pricing for 2020/21 via Honolulu, and that was an option.

Reetro

One of Us
Sep 7, 2017
@Ret-ro, was that Seattle --> Honolulu --> Brisbane flight with Hawaiian? If so, what were your thoughts? I am looking at pricing for 2020/21 via Honolulu, and that was an option.
Izzy we got a virgin point flight on Delta for the 5 of us at $75 AUD plus 270USD for bags .. Good it bounced at Honolulu , 3 of came home Qantas FF JAL to Tokyo, JSTAR to Cairns and Brisbane for 400USD , paid for mum and younger duaghter(school) to get home via Melbourne on jstar. .. All flights good. There and back under 3k oz. Over ovia Tokyo Jstar JAL through Qantas.

Reactions: Izzy

Izzy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Sawtell, NSW
Izzy we got a virgin point flight on Delta for the 5 of us at $75 AUD plus 270USD for bags .. Good it bounced at Honolulu , 3 of came home Qantas FF JAL to Tokyo, JSTAR to Cairns and Brisbane for 400USD , paid for mum and younger duaghter(school) to get home via Melbourne on jstar. .. All flights good. There and back under 3k oz. Over ovia Tokyo Jstar JAL through Qantas.
Thanks. I just can't justify the ~12k return for the 4 of us with Air Canada in January, so we need to go via somewhere! I see via Asia with Korean, JAL et al is far cheaper, but 20 hours vs 13...

Joe

Near a silver lining
Jun 29, 2018
Queensland
Thanks. I just can't justify the ~12k return for the 4 of us with Air Canada in January, so we need to go via somewhere! I see via Asia with Korean, JAL et al is far cheaper, but 20 hours vs 13...
You can go via Honkers on Cathay, and if you can stomach long connections or a layover its usually cheaper.

Reactions: Reetro and Izzy

Reetro

One of Us
Sep 7, 2017
You can go via Honkers on Cathay, and if you can stomach long connections or a layover its usually cheaper.
I agree guys. If you frequents you can probably get Syd-Honolulu-Vancouver for pts plus $800 , saw that 2 days ago but it disappeared. Next time its there I book. Coming close to being able to book. Let the return work itself out. Would not mind Tokyo and JAL again. Not keen on Hong Kong.. with Virus hanging around. No one is booking that route. On frequents

?? When does Sun Peaks season come out and how much ?

Reetro

One of Us
Sep 7, 2017
Looking for next year. I would really like to see the sun at Sun Peaks.

Joe

Near a silver lining
Jun 29, 2018
Queensland
Looking for next year. I would really like to see the sun at Sun Peaks.
What price specifics are you after ? As per graph above the Sun does come out spasmodically, you will enjoy many photo opportunities....

Reetro

One of Us
Sep 7, 2017
We brought the snow with 20 minutes of sunshine in a week mid December. Be nice to ski in clear weather there.

Reactions: Joe
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass