1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Sun Peaks 2019-2020

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Taipan, May 4, 2019.

1. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly What a plonker. Ski Pass: Gold

Even with 2 adults it may still be better value, because with shared private lessons there is a $104 surcharge per lesson for each additional person in the group over 3. So an additional $520 for 5 private lessons for 4 people.

2. Hoodie

Hoodie Hard Yards

Season pass discounts?

3. Roymond

Roymond One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

And that’s also a point- ski adventures has apres most evenings and a big group dinner at the end of each week. Getting a little p!55ed with your instructor and the rest of the group certainly helps the dynamic.
    The groups are also fluid- heather keeps an eye on each group and adjusts the group if levels are not quite correct.

4. Taipan

Taipan Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

In this mornings email.

New Replacement for Crystal Lift Announced Today!

[​IMG]

We're super excited today to announce the construction of a new Crystal chairlift, which will be open for winter 2020/21! The new lift, a Doppelmayr fixed grip quad, will increase our uphill capacity by 20% and will extend past the top terminal of the current Crystal right to Top of the World on Mt. Tod. Construction will begin this summer, with the new lift completed prior to the 2020/21 winter season. Scroll down to our What's New article to learn more.

Sticking with the winter theme, there are just four days remaining to lock in your winter 2019/20 season pass at the lowest price of the year. Our Best Buy period ends at midnight on June 30, which is also your last chance to combo your winter pass with passes for Golf or Bike for summer savings. Plus don't forget, we also offer a free payment plan!

Bendalong+, northsail and Pademelon like this.
  5. Taipan

And its still cold.

Im sure they will get some warm weather soon, but not yet.

Im calling that sleeting in the village, end of June, in normally the warmest part of the day [3-5pm]!

[​IMG]

Last Update: June 27th 5:15pm

Lady Penelope likes this.
  6. Taipan

Hmmm decisions........

[​IMG]

7. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ... Ski Pass: Gold

Well, this year has been pretty terrible for me, if I’m honest (“challenging” might be a good description). Rationally and sensibly I should be saving my pennies for a large tax bill and a new car. But recent events have convinced me that you only live once, and need to live life to the full. So in that spirit, I have booked a quick visit to Canada with my 2 boys in January 2020. 12-16 Jan at Silver Star (thought we’d explore somewhere different!) then 2 weeks at Sun Peaks. My gosh, transfers are expensive: a total of $1345 for the shuttle from Kelowna Airport to Silver Star, then SS to Sun Peaks, then SP to Kelowna Airport. Think I’ll just hire a car at Kelowna instead (around $2000 AUD). @chrisj , I have swallowed my pride and dislike of Air Canada and booked with them direct from/to Brisbane/Sydney as they offer the ongoing connections to Kelowna. I’ll just knock myself unconscious with Restavit for the flight over and back. The boys will not object as this will give them free rein on the in-flight movies (I think my 10yo watched ‘Venom’ on the flight back from Japan this year, judiciously placed in the seat behind me).

zac150, northsail, chrisj and 2 others like this.
  8. chrisj

chrisj One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I hope your connection YVR to Kelowna is not too tight.

9. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

have you booed a car yet?

my favourite sites are www.economycarrentals.com and www.airportrentals.com

make sure you choose a car that includes CDW or that will be an extra $30/day.

Also, as you can cancel a booking no charge, on my last holiday, at one point I had 3 different cars booked from different sites for the same dates and kept shopping around looking for better deals

10. Lady Penelope

Hmm, I think I have about 90 minutes. Will check. I decided to give all the bookings to Travelplan in the end as time has been my enemy this past week.

Pademelon likes this.
  11. Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Travelplan do a great job, they'll look after you :)

SnowRabbit and Pademelon like this.
  12. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

I've done a connection to Kelowna through Vancouver in 90 minutes. We made it, but it was a bit tight for worrywart me. I would have preferred an extra 30 minutes. The only hassle is that (at least a few years ago) the luggage transfer desk on the other side of customs wouldn't accept skis so you had to drag them to the oversize luggage check in the domestic terminal.

13. Marty_McSly

When I flew Air Canada in 2017 my luggage was checked through from Newcastle to Kamloops. I didn't have to collect and transfer my luggage at Vancouver. The bigger risk was the length of the customs queue, with flights from Sydney, Brisbane and somewhere in India arriving almost simultaneously. Presumably the new AC direct flight from Melbourne will arrive at about the same time too?

90 minutes should be adequate, but I'd suggest @Lady Penelope confirm the luggage booking arrangements with Travelplan, and use the online seat selection tool to choose seats as close to the exit as possible to maximise the chances of being well forward in the customs queue.

14. BilbyBill

BilbyBill One of Us

If you are worried, ask Travelplan to book a later connection. We have done that a few times and they have been very obliging.

15. chrisj

That's where I got caught out. They took off 45 minutes late, then there was a big queue at immigration in Vancouver.

16. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Best solution to this is take a day or two in Vancouver. No worries at all in immigration and customs. Take the kids to Science World and Capilano suspension bridge or an afternoon skiing at Grouse. Skytrain back to YVR for one hour flight to YLW.

Chalkie likes this.
  17. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

And the aquarium.

Chalkie likes this.
  18. JLA

JLA One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Our last few trips luggage/ski bags has been booked straight through to Kamloops or Kelowna from Brisbane. Last time we did the connection in 90 minutes but it was tight due to the immigration lines and then waiting for the shuttle bus which was the only way that they would allow access for transferring international passengers to the domestic terminal.
    For our trip in January we’ve got about a 3 hour layover which causes a lot less stress, time for a freshen up and of course the obligatory cup of coffee. Will still be in SP by mid afternoon.

chrisj likes this.
  19. Lady Penelope

Yep. Did that last time. Limited time in Canada in 2020 = maximum skiing. What’s a bit more stress sweating on connections - I am a stress veteran now!

20. Astro66

Astro66 Still looking for a park in Thredbo Ski Pass: Gold

Are you sure you don't want to drive from YVR, Jo. Don't forget I found you that $732 car hire from YVR for the whole time..

You've proved a more than capable driver. Driving stress is better than Connections stress, IMO. At least you're in control when driving.

gareth_oau likes this.
  21. gareth_oau

The drive from Vancouver to Sun Peaks is wonderfully easy, and very relaxed.

You will know the road conditions before you head off, and have two different routes to choose from, or hold back a day. If conditions are that bad, then there's a good chance the airport will be suffering too

Astro66 likes this.
  22. Lady Penelope

I am sure! I sleep badly (if at all) on planes and the thought of then climbing straight into a car and driving for hours on snowy roads to Silver Star doesn’t really excite me :whistle:. Thanks for the thumbs up for my driving, though ;)

Crystal and Astro66 like this.
  23. chrisj

I'd look for a connection a couple of hours later. That shouldn't cut into your skiing time. AC often takes off late and as I learned the hard way, they don't give a damn about your missed connections, even when it is entirely their fault.

24. gareth_oau

all the way to SS is too much, but what about to say Abbottsford and stop overnight there for $100?

25. sly_karma

There are lots of connections between YVR and YLW, the Okanagan is the next most populated region in BC after metro Vancouver. Should be simple to engineer a 2 hour or longer connection time. Generally better to use same carrier for international and domestic flights if possible, but switching to Westjet for a better Kelowna connection wouldnt be unreasonable.

Once you have your bags and the car, it's less than an hour to SS. You're straight onto four lane highway and pretty much clear of the city congestion left behind to the south of the airport. There is a good selection of supermarkets in Vernon before the last 20 minutes up to the resort. Unless you have your heart set on Costco, that would require you to head in toward Kelowna from the airport, although it is still several km before downtown itself.

SnowRabbit and Lady Penelope like this.
  26. Joe2020

Joe2020 One of Us

Does anyone here deal with anyone in particular when using travelplan for Canada......

27. JLA

JLA One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Don’t know about Travelplan but can very strongly recommend Tegan fron SnonSki. I use to do my own planning and bookings but then found Tegan and she goes above and beyond to secure a good deal. We’ve now used her several times and in one instance for a group of 11. Never any hiccups with airlines, transfers or accommodation. Phone 1300 697 669.

Joe2020 likes this.
  28. Lady Penelope

Yes. The lady I use is Anne Carter. She knows her stuff.

SnowRabbit and Joe2020 like this.
  29. Lady Penelope

I thought about that as I remember you mentioning that previously, Gareth. In the end, just a bit more mucking around. Good advice re connections, everyone - will talk to Travelplan about this. Let’s hope Air Canada don’t misplace my ski bags again!

Edit: we arrive in YVR at 6:50am and depart for Kelowna at 9.05. Hopefully that’s enough time ...

30. sly_karma

That should be plenty of time for the formalities and the walk to domestic terminal.

Lady Penelope and Taipan like this.
  31. SnowRabbit

SnowRabbit Addicted

Always use Anne Carter. Very good.

Joe2020 likes this.
  32. Eros C

Eros C Hard Yards

Looking for advice re transfers. Heading over to Sun Peaks from Whistler in early February. Still undecided whether to drive or use a shuttle. Has anyone used a shuttle from either Whistler or Vancouver Airport that they can recommend.

33. Crystal

I use Anne Martin.... Melbourne. Will depend on what state your in.

Joe2020 likes this.
  34. Crystal

We have but many many years ago, as soon as they started charging for kids then it was cheaper for us to rent a car. The ones we did use were amazing, safe, reliable and all round good service. We always booked through central res at the respective resorts. Someone with more current knowledge may be more helpful.

35. Marty_McSly

I used the default shuttle from Sun Peaks to Whistler in 2017. It ran Sunday and Tuesday IIRC, leaving SP around 12.30pm. What I don't know is the timing of the run the other way.

It picked up and delivered to the door of the accommodation using a Mercedes Sprinter van. Comfy and roomy seats, and plenty of room for luggage including the ski bags.

You'll probably find the info on the shuttle on the Sun Peaks website, and you should be able to contact them through the website with your questions. Or just give Sun Peaks Central Reservations a call if your mobile phone plan includes international minutes to Canada.

36. sly_karma

If you decide to drive, be wary of the 'back road' to SP, highway 99 north to Lillooet and onward. It can save some time and is exceptionally scenic, but in winter it is a challenging true mountain road with literally hundreds of tricky corners. Traffic is very low and there are long stretches of wild country with no habitations of any kind and no phone coverage. Even a mild off into the ditch could be potentially life threatening. Check carefully on www.drivebc.ca for up to the minute information. There is one webcam at the high point of the road that can be viewed for a sense of the weather up there. If it's not sunny or there's snow on the road in the cam shot, give it a miss this time around. Lowered speed for 200 km due to poor conditions on winding roads will more than wipe out any time gains over the Hwy 1 route through the city. Yes, the latter route goes over the notorious Coquihalla Pass, but the Coq is relatively short and has 4 or 6 lanes for its entire length, plus there's the alternative low elevation hwy 1 route through the Fraser Canyon if the pass is having problems.

Ret-ro likes this.
  37. Eros C

Eros C Hard Yards

Thanks for your reply. I have reserved a car, but am concerned a little with the drive. Have you had any issues driving and do you take the highway leg back through Vancouver to be safe?

38. Eros C

Eros C Hard Yards

Thanks your advice has been great. Based on your advice the direct route does concern me and will opt for the safer route back through Vancouver I think unless we haven’t had snow in over a week and I get a blessing from locals that the road is safe. Will check everyone and everything online as you suggested. Cheers.

39. Eros C

Eros C Hard Yards

Thanks, I think I might research a transfer just in case. Needs to align with my departure date on Friday from Whistler otherwise will need to commit to the car I have booked.

40. Izzy

Izzy One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

We were quoted circa CAD700 for a one way private transfer from SP to YVR airport. I suspect Whistler to SP would be similar.

41. gareth_oau

Wow that’s almost a week’s car hire

42. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Care gire. Related to covfefe?

chicski likes this.
  43. gareth_oau

Might even be carhire?

44. Crystal

what Sly said :)

We check the roads and weather first and yes often do the longer route back, it's pretty and no use speeding to Van if your flight is late in the evening.

45. Izzy

Izzy One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Yes, it ain’t cheap. I think a group transfer was even around CAD150 per person. So for a family of four like us, there isn’t a heap of difference really.

46. gareth_oau

I enjoy the drive and the flexibility it also provides so would recommend driving if that’s your kink

47. Joe2020

Joe2020 One of Us

Stones Throw
    22nd Jan to 1st Feb
    Looking for an outfit to outdo Astro but I'm struggling LOL

Astro66 and gareth_oau like this.
  48. Beerman

Beerman One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

No such thing, @Astro66 buys the brightest available. It’s surprising the Emergency Services haven’t followed his lead. LOL

Now if you put a rotating beacon on your helmet.................

Astro66, sly_karma and Joe2020 like this.
  49. Hudson

Hudson One of Us

Ski access just across the street where the crosswalk sign is.
    Decided to rent out our one bedroom guest suite for any 31 day stay between Dec 1 to Jan 10 this coming ski season. We are flexible on the dates but must lease out for a minimum of 31 days.
    Looking for a quiet responsible non-smoking couple. There is a single bed in the main room for one child and a Queen in the bedroom. Maximum three people. In-suite laundry, full kitchen with dishwasher, parking if required, prime ski-in, ski-out location above the village Poma, shared ski room with lots of ski/board storage, propane fireplace, 10 minute walk to village. Access to Rambler is just across the street on the Skiway to the school. No Hot Tub. Willing to shop for a starter quantity of food for the first few days if you provide a list and reimbursement of cost. One person can join us going to town for a weekly grocery shop thereafter.

The contract is for 31 days whether or not you are physically present, you can choose to stay less. $6200 CAD all in. PM me if interested. More photos upon request.

Joe2020 likes this.
  50. Joe2020

Joe2020 One of Us

A shame you didn't decide to lease it out earlier......Hope you get someone :thumbs: