1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Sun Peaks 2019-2020

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Taipan, May 4, 2019.

1. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

We've only been offered an upsizing once,. The Jeep we booked wasnt available, but they had a brilliant, larger one available, and it was only a charmingly decent $2,000 more than what we'd actually contracted to pay ROFL.

Told em to stick it and find me what I'd booked

2. Taipan

Taipan Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Finally warmed up today.

21c late afternoon in the valley.

Summer has arrived.

3. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Are you there?

4. Taipan

Not this year or next. Initially planned to head back this summer, but a change of plan.

From 2021 I expect to spend many summers there.:thumbs::)

Joe2020 and Pademelon like this.
  5. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ... Ski Pass: Gold

There’s only 3 of us, Gareth, not a platoon! At home I’m borrowing a Subaru Forester (the ex’s!) to get to the snow. Something of a similar size would suit us just fine, I think (as long as one rear seat folds down to accommodate the skis, of which mine are the longest at 153cm). Is the Ford Escape the same as the old Kuga? @Astro66 ? (Coz I know that’s what you were driving until recently!).

6. northsail

northsail One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Marty_McSly likes this.
  7. Lady Penelope

You haven’t seen what I pack, yet! Gotta have all my dancing gear and cocktail dresses :p

Taipan likes this.
  8. northsail

northsail One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Gareth has that also!:p

Marty_McSly, Taipan and Lady Penelope like this.
  9. gareth_oau

Should work, depending on how many bags you each have. We travel with 2 each, and there's no whay it would accommodate 6 bags with one seat still up

10. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Hmmm so bookings haven’t been all that fun!

Firstly thanks to those who have posted some great links to websites @gareth_oau and @Astro66 this really saved. Allura direct is awesome and in a roundabout way top of the hill kinda saved us.

So to those still looking I thought I would put up a summary of our experiences. Firstly the caveat, I have to travel at Xmas, as a small business owner in an industry that shuts down at Xmas it is the one time I get a break without hundreds of phone calls.

Canada seems to have two (could be more), distinct periods, up to the 30th of December and after the 3rd. I am sure it gets even cheaper after that!

Our initial plan was to start at silverstar, then sunpeaks then whistler starting around the 27th of December. After being quoted nearly $5k for a studio in Silver star I almost threw in the towel but started to try and re jig locations. One of the websites Gareth put me onto, top of the hill, seemed very transparent with pricing and quoted on property as $800 a night in December and nearly $500 cheaper mid Jan.

Whistler on the other hand didn’t seem as loaded, pricewise, I guess they have more accommodation.

So the plan is now to fly to LA, and catch up with my sister for a couple of days in Phoenix. We then fly to Vancouver and ski whistler for five days, starting the 31st here saved me $3500 on the accommodation! We will then drive on to sunpeaks for five days staying at settlers crossing. We liked the ski in ski out and access to the chair, kids liked the private spa. Reviews say it’s a 7minute walk to Town which suits as we are staying in the thick of it at whistler (the Blackcomb lodge).

From sunpeaks we head to silverstar and are staying in a nice little place close to the village and hopefully get to catch up with @Lady Penelope and gang for some runs.

Again the forum has been awesome and we have got a lot of info that has shaped the trip and saved me $$$$.

#260 zac150, Jul 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    Astro66, Crystal, Marty_McSly and 5 others like this.
  11. Lady Penelope

Did you end up trying Travelplan, @zac150 ? The prices they sourced for me were very competitive.

12. KneeDeep

KneeDeep One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

What dates will you be in SS ? The senior citizens will be there from the 21st January for a month.

13. zac150

Half half, we are getting everything else through them but picked a few places ourselves.

We are in Silver star from the 11th to the 17th

@Lady Penelope our place also has two car spots and is about 2 minutes from you, so if you need to pay for parking just use our spare spot

14. Lady Penelope

Thanks! I’ll have to check the car parking situation at SS - assumed (perhaps wrongly) that it was free!

zac150 likes this.
  15. KneeDeep

Car parking is free in SS, some places require a card on the dash, supplied by your accommodation.

zac150 likes this.
  16. zac150

@gareth_oau if I remember correctly you have flown air NZ, looks like we are booked on kiwi air (hopefully their plans fly better than the bird).

Do you remember what sort of plan you flew? Also what was the upgrade process like? How do you bid if you want four seats?

17. Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

This... you'll be fine. Sunpeaks seems to charge an arm and a leg to park at some places. Bloody crazy if you are staying there parking should be free.

18. gareth_oau

We have always had a garage at the places we stay, included in the price

Ret-ro likes this.
  19. Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

yeah not us, but have always has great people from this forum offering us a spot.

20. gareth_oau

21. Taipan

Bummer.

If ever there was a time for this to happen its now.

Subject to no significant structural damage they should be able to be operational by the coming season.

22. gareth_oau

The restaurant is currently up for sale

23. Taipan

Fire sale?

Just sale, ok understand now.:evil:

zac150 and gareth_oau like this.
  24. gareth_oau

A fire right now seems incredibly dodgy!!

Can’t sell?

25. sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Not great timing at all. Long weekend just days away. Usually some of the busiest trading days of the year. Article says they hope to be open in 3 days, hope they make it. Had some great times in there over the years.

Taipan likes this.
  26. Taipan

Bears are out and about.

Plus all the other wild life.

27. zac150

Brains trust, I noticed on the sunpeaks web site a link to Aussie’s doing ski training sessions, has anyone done any of these?

I’d like to get plus one and teenage daughter into a lesson. Debating between booking a couple of four private sessions and all jumping in or a camp for each of us.

We have done group private’s before and had no issues as the instructor just focus there primary attention on on of us at a time but still giving tips. Plus one is about level six and needs to refine her parallel, teen is about level 7 and needs to refine edge carve. I tele but love jumping in on the alpine lessons as I never had an alpine base so working on alpine has helped the tele. We have had a couple of instructors who tele as well and have been able to provide pointers.

Roymond likes this.
  28. Roymond

Roymond One of Us

Is that ‘ski adventures’? If so I’d recommend it highly. Best instruction I’ve ever had . All instructors are at least level 3 and most are level 4. Cheaper than resort private’s to boot.
    There’s numerous forumites who’ve used their sessions and many (my family included- wife and kids 12,11,10) who return to sun peaks frequently with their service being a major draw card.
    I can’t comment on the Tele side of things but I wouldn’t be surprised if 1 or 2 were into it given their experience levels.

zac150 likes this.
  29. Lady Penelope

I realise this is a more general question/comment, but there doesn’t seem to be a “general” Canada planning thread, so I’ll stick it here! I just had a look at the value I get for my Aussie dollar in Canada currently, and it’s terrible compared to 2018! I’ve been under a bit of a rock for the last couple of months and haven’t been following the news/world events, but is this due to the Australian dollar going south, or a strong Canadian dollar? The difference is quite notable - they used to be at parity if I recall correctly. Now $1 AUD buys just under 90 cents Canadian :(

30. KneeDeep

Could be worse, be thankful that you are not going to the USA.
    AUSSIES peso going south, Cad$ holding against the US$

31. Lady Penelope

True :whistle:

32. zac150

Haha I was actually thinking of starting one, putting up all the useful booking sites, resorts, road advice etc but then thought there are more qualified people to do this.

Our first week in the U.S is going to hurt a little with the exchange rate! Still I got accommodation and tickets for less than a studio apartment at sunpeaks or silverstar! Funny story though I looked at a quote from the agent and thought far out they are taking the mickey with those prices, I checked online and the prices were lower, then I did a conversion......

With our interest rates weakening I can’t see this position improving any time soon!

Lady Penelope likes this.
  33. gareth_oau

I cant recalll when but 3-4 years ago the AUD was at 1.07CAD when we booked out holiday, and then dropped to parity wheile we were there.

0.9 is still not unreasonable

Ret-ro likes this.
  34. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

Hi. This is a general Canada question too but maybe related to Sun Peaks.
    We're committed for trips this Northern Hemisphere winter but want to have a few weeks away Christmas 2020 so just doing some forward planning.
    With the Aussie dollar being weak a trip to Europe or the US would hurt more than one to Canada so I'm thinking a road trip around BC might be fun. I have teenagers and I work in a sales position so Christmas/New Year is the best time for us to go. I'm looking for a spot to be over Christmas that may provide the family with at least some Christmas vibe. Perhaps somewhere with a bit of community feel so where not just four Aussies away from family for Christmas.
    Which Canadian town/resort would best provide this? I'm thinking one of the family type resorts like Sun Peaks, Silver Star or Big White?? From there we'll move onto a few of the interior hills like Red, Whitewater, Fernie, Revelstoke I'm thinking.
    Thanks in advance.

35. gareth_oau

I've done christmas day twice in Sun Peaks, and to be honest, its not meaga christmas themed. It was pleasant, witht he snow, and you can do christmas carols with Nancy Greene, but is didnt seem to have the vibe we get here, but maybe that's just because its your friends and family, not the town.

I.m only guessing, but I'm thinking Banff or Canmore might put on a great christmas backdrop.

If you want a great roadtrip, get some ideas from my oad trip thread earlier this year.

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/gareth-and-nikkis-epic-canadian-venture.83300/page-3#post-3778331

Sbooker likes this.
  36. Joe2020

Joe2020 Addicted

I would have thought accommodation availability will be determining factor at this point....Unless you have the $ to throw around.

37. zac150

We where also surprised by whistler’s lack on anything really at New Years, I think I even posted at the time Thredbo do more!

The Xmas lights etc in Vancouver are fantastic and our kids loved them, but that was the most Xmas we got

38. gareth_oau

yeah prices in SP start to creep up from the week before christmas, and hit their peak on Boxing Day.

We had christmas dinner there last year, and headed out the following morning to avoid the peakiest of prices, which finish around 3rd January, depending on where NY day falls

39. gareth_oau

SP does live music, a Big Air demo and some reasonable fireworks on New Years eve.

Though a few years back it was -25 and a bit nippy standing on the snow watching all of this, and then half the fireworks failed because of the cold LOL

Taipan and zac150 like this.
  40. gareth_oau

41. zac150

Whistler did their fire and ice show, that was it!

42. sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

If you go to Apex they will invite you to join their flare runs held Christmas eve and New year's eve. Bonfire and hot chocolate afterward. Kids welcome too, you just need to be able to ride a T Bar in the dark, then ski a blue run whilst holding a bamboo pole with lit highway flares taped to it.

43. gareth_oau

While drunk!

Crystal, Joe2020 and Taipan like this.