Assorted other members of the Taipan clan December/January

JLA 30/12/20 to 16/1/21
Joe 4th - 25th January 2021
Re-tro Jan 22nd

Last edited:

Sbooker

One of Us
Sep 28, 2015
What will the world look like in December? I have no forecast on that except to say that it will likely be very different to 'pre-virus world'. It may be difficult to travel internationally too.
If there is a high chance my family will be able to safely travel I plan to road trip BC or Austria/Italy in either the Christmas school holidays or Easter holidays. If BC happens I'll catch you in Sun Peaks at some point I would think.

Reactions: Taipan

Astro66

Still looking for a park in Thredbo
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Subs Syd
Biggest problem I see is lifting the quarantine at each end of the plane trip. This is Nth America. And I don't see them coming out of this predicament quickly.

4 weeks in Sun Peaks needs to balanced against 4 additional weeks in quarantine. Not to mention the cost.

That said. January is still quite some time away. And a good measure will the Local Ski Season.

Reactions: Reetro and Joe

Taipan

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
NSW Mid North Coast
How you getting there? It's a long swim!

Private Jet? LOL

Who knows what will be happening in December, January 21, February 21, March 21?

Will the resort even be open?

Nobody knows. But ill remain optimistic until we find out otherwise

Adapt improvise overcome.

Here is plane that's not being used anymore. Got sleeping quarters on it and everything!

LOL

lolita%20express_zps09x9l8wp.jpg

LOL

Reactions: sly_karma

Taipan

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
NSW Mid North Coast
Biggest problem I see is lifting the quarantine at each end of the plane trip. This is Nth America. And I don't see them coming out of this predicament quickly.

4 weeks in Sun Peaks needs to balanced against 4 additional weeks in quarantine. Not to mention the cost.

That said. January is still quite some time away. And a good measure will the Local Ski Season.

So NZ internally is coming out of lock down as we speak. They will be allowed to move around freely within NZ.

Im sure we will watch what happens there first.

Then Australia may take that step. Again only internal.

Eventually and slowly. Flying will reopen internally.

If both countries proceed without a reemergence of corona then we may see x tasman flights restarting.

Wait and watch - see what happens

Reactions: Astro66

Hudson

One of Us
Feb 7, 2013
Sun Peaks, BC
The great unknown. Second wave? When and how long?

Heard from a chef at one of the restaurants in the village that all the Spring and Summer bus tours that descend upon the village for food and accommodation in the afternoons are cancelled. Think I counted 8-9 catch buses each evening. That was a good revenue source for the off season. He didn’t know about the Autumn tours.

Being a tourist destination, SPs has been delivered a knock out punch. Your guess is as good as mine whether the businesses in the village will make it through with the same ownership by next ski season. Some may pull-up stakes and leave. 5-6 months w/o income but continuing expenses is tough.

I’m not counting on a strong international mkt.
Mostly BC and WA state. If one can drive here, I think they will come. Skiing next season may become a local thing for most people.

Reactions: Taipan

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne

Even then, what happens if you actually catch the virus and end up in hospital for a couple of weeks? No insurance.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC

Hard to know what measures might still be in place by Christmas. BC and the other western Canadian provinces have done well so far, they acted early and the community in general have behaved well. New cases this last week have been in the single digits in most of the west. The BC govt is discussing its options for easing of restrictions but still very cautious and has zero firm plans or dates. Sounds like scheduled surgeries and schools will be the first things to be phased in gradually.

Reactions: Chalkie

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Hard to know what measures might still be in place by Christmas. BC and the other western Canadian provinces have done well so far, they acted early and the community in general have behaved well. New cases this last week have been in the single digits in most of the west. The BC govt is discussing its options for easing of restrictions but still very cautious and has zero firm plans or dates. Sounds like scheduled surgeries and schools will be the first things to be phased in gradually.

When is Canada going to start building that wall on it's southern border?

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
We'll be in deficit for a decade at least, so probably never in my lifetime. But Justin is definitely keeping the border closed for another month and we'll see after that. Much mayhem down south, although at least our neighbours in Washington state are relatively sane.

JLA

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2007
Brisbane
Being optimistic, deposit paid on accommodation from 30/12/20 to 16/1/21.

Waiting to see what eventuates with flights/quarantine restrictions before booking anything else.

Fingers and toes crossed that it will all be okay by then, but safety of all is the priority.

Reactions: Joe and Taipan

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Being optimistic, deposit paid on accommodation from 30/12/20 to 16/1/21.

Waiting to see what eventuates with flights/quarantine restrictions before booking anything else.

Fingers and toes crossed that it will all be okay by then, but safety of all is the priority.
Even if you can fly etc, are you willing to risk ending up in Canadian hospital with Covid-19 with no travel insurance to assist?

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Still covered with snow.
Shot of Morrisey followed by the base of Sunrise. It will be a while before it melts.
5F10E16F-C24E-4F16-AE38-06F881AB58DD.jpeg
8E8D7F2A-069C-4360-AA6C-5C1BE796163A.jpeg

Thank you

BIL in Calgary getting antsy about golf, where I think Covid19 has shut the courses.

retread

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2010
Mortdale
We have booked from Jan 4th to Jan 25th. This was done at the end of January before CV19. We did have flights pencilled in to be paid this week - I think they will be getting rubbed out. We have till the end of November to cancel the condo. Guess we’ll just wait and see what happens between now and then.
Fingers crossed.

Joe

Near a silver lining
Jun 29, 2018
Queensland
We have booked from Jan 4th to Jan 25th. This was done at the end of January before CV19. We did have flights pencilled in to be paid this week - I think they will be getting rubbed out. We have till the end of November to cancel the condo. Guess we’ll just wait and see what happens between now and then.
Fingers crossed.
Where are you staying retread

Up near Morrissey or in the village ?

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Thank you

BIL in Calgary getting antsy about golf, where I think Covid19 has shut the courses.
All open in the Okanagan, but of course he would get the stink eye everywhere he went with those Alberta plates. Courses might open soon in Calgary... if it would stop snowing. Our courses did close for a couple of weeks, not sure why. The govt orders didn't expressly require it, I think it was abundance of caution. Now they have it sorted out how to do the separation and golf is back on.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Fingers crossed.

fingers crossed for you too

Reactions: retread

Hudson

One of Us
Feb 7, 2013
Sun Peaks, BC
Of course the Resort closed Mar 18 for a Covid break so no one is allowed to ski the terrain.

First image: Morrisey. Still skiable if it was groomed.
Second: Sunrise. Looking dismal.

All south facing slopes are looking like Sunrise below the level of the Sunburst Lodge.
81BA0770-BB7E-4DFC-AA35-6FCB8756560A.jpeg
FC0092D0-B0BB-4E7F-8DA8-DCABF86D8A40.jpeg

Taipan

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
NSW Mid North Coast
From Sun Peaks web site

For next winter, we will be working on plans for our season pass holder program while trying to take this past season into consideration whenever possible. Under normal circumstances, we launch pass sales in early May with our Best Buy campaign. This year we’ll be taking our time and delaying the start of this campaign, to allow us the opportunity to properly look at our options for you (including suggestions we have already received from guests), while also allowing more time than a normal season for you to make your purchase at the best price. The regular June 30 price cut off will not be in place this year. This is the right decision for both sides of the equation under current circumstances.

We hope that this will help show our commitment to all of our valued guests, returning and new, while also ensuring that we can successfully bounce back next season after the negative impacts of this global crisis. It’s important to us that we’re here for you and are able to open our doors and trails when it’s safe to return to recreation in the mountains once again.

If you have a specific question, comment, or a unique situation to inquire about, please contact Guest Services at guestservices@sunpeaksresort.com.

Stay tuned to our website, e-newsletter, social media, and for ongoing announcements as plans are finalized.

Best wishes,

Sun Peaks Resort Team

Roymond

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 1, 2018
We were unfaithful last year and skied big white. The chillerns were talking tonight about travelling to sun peaks again next year . ‘ it’s our special place, dad’. I told them covid may put the keybosh on that , so daughter (10) has tasked me with finding the vaccine. o_O
there is certainly something special about that place that works with families.
just a vibe that’s not at any other of the hills we have skied. That’s why we come back and regret when we don’t!

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
We were unfaithful last year and skied big white. The chillerns were talking tonight about travelling to sun peaks again next year . ‘ it’s our special place, dad’. I told them covid may put the keybosh on that , so daughter (10) has tasked me with finding the vaccine. o_O
there is certainly something special about that place that works with families.
just a vibe that’s not at any other of the hills we have skied. That’s why we come back and regret when we don’t!

not just families. Nik and I love the place.

\\We visted twice the previous season, with a road trip to Calgary in between, and each time we drive up the mountain it feels like we are returning home

Joe

Near a silver lining
Jun 29, 2018
Queensland

\\We visted twice the previous season, with a road trip to Calgary in between, and each time we drive up the mountain it feels like we are returning home
By observing how many Auz flags were on display outside houses all over the hill on Auz day in Jan it's fair to say many people feel the same way Gareth.

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat

we get that same feel as we drive into our fav...I let out a big sigh and immediately I can feel my shoulders relax. The kids laugh every time it must be a very loud sigh.

Tinker Clan

Hard Yards
Dec 2, 2018
Love the optimism Taipan but we have tonight pulled the pin on our accommodation booking for Jan 2021. It was a very tough moment pressing the cancel button .

We have been incredibly fortunate to go to SP nine years running, with extended stays, good snow every time, not to mention all the fabulous times with great friends. As you know, we have done that on the basis of seizing the moment because you never know what might happen next....well it happened!!

Don’t like the uncertainty and wanted to have a year end holiday plan in place so decision made.

Now I have the unenviable task of finding an alternative family holiday here in Oz. Had some ideas but have quickly discovered Dec/Jan is not the best time to holiday in Oz due to stingers, cyclones, too hot, too humid, already booked years in advance etc etc.

We might just have to stay home, sit it out and finally do that long awaited Sun Peaks summer trip in July 2021!

Cheers
Tinker

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass