Sun Peaks 2020-2021

oldgeezer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 18, 2016
Grandpa oh and computer programmer too.
ANU immunologist
We need to get air canada flying back to Australia.

I don’t think anybody wants to go via USA or Asia

Airfares will be higher compared to previous years

Taipan clan won’t be in SP for Xmas

However once we can come I plan to stay till closing day

Very tentative - arrival early January.
High Density down the back will be a hard sell at the higher prices, and a bit unsettling on that long flight until there is a vaccine. Can't say I would have any sympathy for AC or other B777 HD operators. Sigh though, much as I would have liked another trip, maybe even with grandsons and their aunt, not much chance.
:(

An ANU immunologist / epidemologist advised a few weeks back that he wouldn't plan on travelling until after next northern winter, just in case.

Joe

Near a silver lining
Jun 29, 2018
Queensland
We need to get air canada flying back to Australia.

I don’t think anybody wants to go via USA or Asia

Airfares will be higher compared to previous years

New opportunities in Brisbane, the new runway officially opens this Sunday, 12 July 2020.

According to the Brisbane Airport Corporation it will have the greatest runway capacity of any capital city airport in Auz.

Reactions: Reetro and Taipan

Taipan

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
NSW Mid North Coast
Jan 2022 or 2023?

January 2021

ANU immunologist

High Density down the back will be a hard sell at the higher prices, and a bit unsettling on that long flight until there is a vaccine. Can't say I would have any sympathy for AC or other B777 HD operators. Sigh though, much as I would have liked another trip, maybe even with grandsons and their aunt, not much chance.
:(

An ANU immunologist / epidemologist advised a few weeks back that he wouldn't plan on travelling until after next northern winter, just in case.

Sounds like an excellent reason to ride up the front. LOL:thumbs:

I returned to Australia on the 18th March 2020. Of course, by then Covid was spreading widely around the world.

They were using hospital strength filters on the air conditioning system on the 777.

We are fortunate to be able to easily quarantine at either end as we own our own properties. It makes it easier to go, once things start to reopen. Which it will.

Maybe nothing will be open, but will adapt to the circumstances

oldgeezer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 18, 2016
Grandpa oh and computer programmer too.
January 2021

Sounds like an excellent reason to ride up the front. LOL:thumbs:

I returned to Australia on the 18th March 2020. Of course, by then Covid was spreading widely around the world.

They were using hospital strength filters on the air conditioning system on the 777.

We are fortunate to be able to easily quarantine at either end as we own our own properties. It makes it easier to go, once things start to reopen. Which it will.

Maybe nothing will be open, but will adapt to the circumstances
Only way to go.

Delta and VA stood by configuring their B777s as 3-3-3 but have retired their fleet. AC went for the quantity not quality route as their business model to turn a profit and maintain their fleet size rather than raising Y seat cost by 15% to cover increased operating costs, which would have meant trimming their fleet. COVID-19 has forced that model onto all airlines as acknowledged by Qantas. I'd hate to be doing the 15 hour AC33 flight in HD wearing a face mask and perspex screen and social distancing at the reduced number of lavs down the back.

Academic point for me now, with us being on pension/super. Can't complain though, had good times while it lasted.

Hudson

One of Us
Feb 7, 2013
Sun Peaks, BC
I guess it’s true that BC residents are vacationing in province this Summer, as if they have a choice. Almost all the single family home rentals were occupied the past two weekends. They don’t appear to be mtn bikers. Possibly golfers. Just walking around in groups enjoying the escape from lockdown. A lot of reunions.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Seems like business almost as usual in Penticton now. Beaches are crowded, because Okanagan Lake is above full pool so there's not as much sand showing as normal. Lots of out of province plates, hot cars and motorbikes roaring around everywhere and the wineries are busy. Campgrounds and restaurants are as full as they're allowed to be under the provincial orders. Supermarkets are busier than normal and all the cashiers have started wearing masks, which mostly wasn't the case until a week ago when the tourists showed up. The big events that are such a draw are all canceled but a lot of people just came anyway. I guess some of them booked accoms and decided to make a holiday of it regardless.

Chalkie

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2002
Vancouver, Canada
Seems like business almost as usual in Penticton now. Beaches are crowded, because Okanagan Lake is above full pool so there's not as much sand showing as normal. Lots of out of province plates, hot cars and motorbikes roaring around everywhere and the wineries are busy. Campgrounds and restaurants are as full as they're allowed to be under the provincial orders. Supermarkets are busier than normal and all the cashiers have started wearing masks, which mostly wasn't the case until a week ago when the tourists showed up. The big events that are such a draw are all canceled but a lot of people just came anyway. I guess some of them booked accoms and decided to make a holiday of it regardless.

There was something on the news in Van that said within a couple of weeks of the ok from Dr Henry for interprovincial travel, the Okanagan went from 20% booked to 80% booked. I think people are just wanting to "get out of Dodge".

We're now booked for a four day trip to Revelstoke at the end of next week, our week in the Okanagan first week of August and then a few days in Whistler at the end of August (able to use points for the accommodation so have splurged a bit).

Reactions: Reetro

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
a snap of the new Crystal chair "area shown Between the old and new Crystal chair . The area was logged so the trees are gone"

crystal.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Taipan

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
NSW Mid North Coast
So how will the new Crystal chair differ from the old one? Bubbles like Sunburst would be nice :D

The old crystal was a 50 year old fixed 3 seater lifting short of the top of the world.

New lift will be a fixed 4 seater lifting to the top of the world which will open a lot more terrain up instead of having to ski to the burfield mid station.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
A story as old as skiing itself. Locals ask the resort for a lift or a connector trail to open up one of their favourite side country areas or improve/speed up access to an inbounds area, then ever afterward bemoan the loss of their private stashes.

Reactions: Roymond and Taipan

Hudson

One of Us
Feb 7, 2013
Sun Peaks, BC
Photos from today of the new Crystal Chair base. You can see the old Crystal base minus the lower towers.

Attachments

• A3F42F2E-37FB-41F5-96E9-6CD09E8CBB9A.jpeg
    A3F42F2E-37FB-41F5-96E9-6CD09E8CBB9A.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • CDD75235-569B-4124-AAAB-4F99FE2A05A5.jpeg
    CDD75235-569B-4124-AAAB-4F99FE2A05A5.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 22BA4CBB-D71C-4D2E-8E69-058ABB1349B1.jpeg
    22BA4CBB-D71C-4D2E-8E69-058ABB1349B1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • B0E9A532-C46E-4001-8F96-0BA634662259.jpeg
    B0E9A532-C46E-4001-8F96-0BA634662259.jpeg
    913.8 KB · Views: 6

Hudson

One of Us
Feb 7, 2013
Sun Peaks, BC
If I had to guess when the Canada-US border will open, I would guess sometime after Nov 3 2020 and before Jan 20 2021. It will conveniently disappear from the headline news after that. Will become Page 3 material.

Busy weekend for mtn biking. Long lines. 3-4 on most chairs. Appears as busy as last year for house rentals. Just no concerts☹️. Whistler is experiencing the same.
BC is a busy place.

Covid, what Covid?

Roymond

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 1, 2018
I'd say like but not like? Missed SP last winter dearly and the crew were super keen for this year. Please keep the photos coming to maintain the stoke. January 2022 is a loooong way ahead..

Taipan

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
NSW Mid North Coast
Re Tickets. I contacted guest services regarding buying lift tickets.

The early cheap ticket sales end on the 30th September 2020

The problem is that if Air Canada is not flying between Australia and Canada, and/or the borders remain closed, then what happens if we buy our season tickets by 30th September 2020 [Those wishing to fly via asia or America ....o_O]

Thanks for getting in touch with Guest Services.

I have spoken to our Manager and should something like this happen where a country is saying you can’t travel we would look to do something for you, which may be a credit for the following year.

The other option is to purchase the refund option, please ensure you read this to ensure you know what this would cover.

We hope to have you here.

Thanks

Helen

Guest Services | 250.578.5474

1.800.807.3257 ext. 3 | Fax: 250.578.5563
guestservices@sunpeaksresort.com

My plan remains to go skiing if I can get there. And yes I can self isolate in my house which is lucky.

Taipan

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
NSW Mid North Coast
If I had to guess when the Canada-US border will open, I would guess sometime after Nov 3 2020 and before Jan 20 2021. It will conveniently disappear from the headline news after that. Will become Page 3 material.

Busy weekend for mtn biking. Long lines. 3-4 on most chairs. Appears as busy as last year for house rentals. Just no concerts☹️. Whistler is experiencing the same.
BC is a busy place.

Covid, what Covid?

Agreed. It will all just suddenly disappear off the news once we reach November.

ralphplough

One of Us
Sep 19, 2019
A story as old as skiing itself. Locals ask the resort for a lift or a connector trail to open up one of their favourite side country areas or improve/speed up access to an inbounds area, then ever afterward bemoan the loss of their private stashes.

At least humans being humans will see the top when engulfed in cloud and avoid like the plague.

Some of my best powder days up there have been in fog....plenty of vis and definition on the ground but from the lift and base it looked like pea soup. Keeps the hoards at bay!

Sunny days were getting trashed pretty quickly up there anyway.

Reactions: sly_karma

Hudson

One of Us
Feb 7, 2013
Sun Peaks, BC
Appears that there has been more clearing at Mid-Mountain and Father Tom’s.
That’s the Burfield Chair looking West.

Attachments

• B1763A5F-B8EA-4791-BF44-E1A5920BC731.jpeg
    B1763A5F-B8EA-4791-BF44-E1A5920BC731.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Reactions: Taipan and Roymond

Hudson

One of Us
Feb 7, 2013
Sun Peaks, BC
Looking across the valley to Mt Morrisey from the Crystal Bowl.
That small peak on right is the official peak of Mt Morrisey. If SPs ran the future West Morrisey Chair to that peak but kept the base where it has always been planned, there would be a very large gladed area to ski above Back in Time. Quite a wide swath. Boarders hike up there. I’ve skied that glade on Back country Nordic skis with our Outdoor Club. Needs a bit of work but has some challenging pitches. A connector run could still be cut east across the ridge to access the new West Morrisey runs. Possibilities.

Attachments

• 2AF7F9AD-6CC5-4A2E-9F24-551265CE2462.jpeg
    2AF7F9AD-6CC5-4A2E-9F24-551265CE2462.jpeg
    726.7 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: Roymond

retread

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2010
Mortdale
Love the optimism Taipan but we have tonight pulled the pin on our accommodation booking for Jan 2021. It was a very tough moment pressing the cancel button .

We have been incredibly fortunate to go to SP nine years running, with extended stays, good snow every time, not to mention all the fabulous times with great friends. As you know, we have done that on the basis of seizing the moment because you never know what might happen next....well it happened!!

Don’t like the uncertainty and wanted to have a year end holiday plan in place so decision made.

Now I have the unenviable task of finding an alternative family holiday here in Oz. Had some ideas but have quickly discovered Dec/Jan is not the best time to holiday in Oz due to stingers, cyclones, too hot, too humid, already booked years in advance etc etc.

We might just have to stay home, sit it out and finally do that long awaited Sun Peaks summer trip in July 2021!

Cheers
Tinker
Hi Tinks
I cancelled our Stones Throw accomodation last night. I was hoping for a miracle but that was never going to happen. Bring on 2022.

JLA

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2007
Brisbane
Hi Tinks
I cancelled our Stones Throw accomodation last night. I was hoping for a miracle but that was never going to happen. Bring on 2022.
Sadly, we made the decision last week that it just wasn’t going to happen this coming season and also cancelled our accommodation. Methinks 2022 season will be very busy, assuming no virus concerns

Joe

Near a silver lining
Jun 29, 2018
Queensland
Waiting to see what unfolds, we never locked anything in.

Open to a spring ski, check out the new chair.

Reactions: Roymond

Reetro

One of Us
Sep 7, 2017
The 2020-21 thread.

Why not be optimistic!

Hudson Resident Local

Taipan 7th December to 11th April 2021
Motherbear 7th December to Mid February
Snowghost 7th December to Mid February
Assorted other members of the Taipan clan December/January

JLA 30/12/20 to 16/1/21
Joe 4th - 25th January 2021
Re-tro Jan 22nd
Taipan Retro clan will be Jan 2022, its booked

Reactions: Taipan

Roymond

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 1, 2018
Rightio. Hopefully we will get back to ‘three bears chalet’. Kids loved it there!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass