1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Sun Peaks 2020-2021

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Taipan, Apr 21, 2020.

1. northsail

northsail One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

May as well start and finish in Seattle.

Ret-ro likes this.
  2. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Also, if you are driving through Sandpoint, seems a shame not to ski at Schweitzer.

Ret-ro likes this.
  3. Chalkie

Chalkie A Local Ski Pass: Gold

To provide some context to this post and "prevalence", there are very big differences between Ontario & Quebec, and British Columbia. This is taken from the New York Times Covid stats site (which I've checked against the BC stats (as they are the easiest to check against as you can download the data into Excel) and it's accurate: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/world/canada/canada-coronavirus-cases.html#states

Quebec's past 7 day case average is 936 cases per day, with a positivity rate of 3.5%. 80 cases per 100,000.

Ontario's past 7 day case average is 624 cases per day, with a positivity rate of 1.8%. 32 cases per 100,000.

British Columbia's past 7 day average is 105 cases per day, with a positivity rate of 1.3% 16 cases per 100,000.

Covid is not as prevalent in British Columbia as it is Quebec and Ontario. Ontario is experiencing six times the cases of BC, and Quebec has nine times the cases, in total. Population adjusted to per 100,000 people, Ontario has twice the rate of BC and Quebec has five times the rate of BC.

Right now across Canada there's a surge in cases. End of summer Covid complacency and the under 40s not GAF seems to be the main driver in BC, as the vast majority of new cases are in the under 40 set. Our Chief Health Officer, Dr Bonnie Henry, is looking most closely at the positivity rate as the indicator of how widespread Covid is in the community.

Outside of Atlantic Canada (the eastern maritime provinces), provincial governments have pursued "mild" suppression strategies. In BC, most businesses other than those that require large groups of people indoors at close quarters (ie, virtually all performing arts and cultural activities) remain open, with physical distancing and reduced capacity measures (especially for restaurants) in place. The ski resorts I am looking to visit this winter have announced they'll be open with various physical distancing measures in place. My accommodation at Sun Peaks, Revelstoke, Panorama and Whistler is booked and tickets bought. Fingers crossed the ski season goes ahead.

Crystal likes this.
  4. Astro66

Astro66 Still looking for a park in Thredbo

I was asked to compare West and East. I'm no expert on COVID in Canada, as I haven't been following it closely. So I picked Vancouver and Quebec City. If there are better examples please post them.

I'm just quoting the figures displayed on the Canadian Govt health website. Here's today's figures.

Coastal BC as we fly in here : About 1400 cases in 14 days. So about a 100 a day.
    Quebec : About 2000 cases in 14 days. So about 145 a day

https://health-infobase.canada.ca/covid-19/covidtrends/?HR=591,595,2403&mapOpen=true

BTW 2,804 cases yesterday. A new record high. :(

5. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Interior Health region (southern half of BC excluding metro Vancouver) currently has 2 active cases. The north and the island are also near zero, virtually all cases are in metro Vancouver. Even in the city things are managing well considering the relaxed restrictions, and there are just 60 hospitalized in the whole province.

The figure you have is for the national capital region, ie, metro Ottawa which straddles the Ontario- Quebec border. Today alone Quebec reported 1200 cases, and has exceeded a thousand new cases four days in a row now. They are very much the worst performer in Canada, accounting for half of all cases and two thirds of deaths.

Chalkie likes this.
  6. Chalkie

There are very big differences between Ontario & Quebec (the province; not just Quebec City), and British Columbia. This is taken from the New York Times Covid stats site (which I've checked against the BC stats (as they are the easiest to check against as you can download the data into Excel) and it's accurate: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/world/canada/canada-coronavirus-cases.html#states

Quebec's past 7 day case average is 936 cases per day, with a positivity rate of 3.5%. 80 cases per 100,000.

Ontario's past 7 day case average is 624 cases per day, with a positivity rate of 1.8%. 32 cases per 100,000.

British Columbia's past 7 day average is 105 cases per day, with a positivity rate of 1.3% 16 cases per 100,000.

Covid is not as prevalent in British Columbia as it is Quebec and Ontario. Ontario is experiencing six times the cases of BC, and Quebec has nine times the cases, in total. Population adjusted to per 100,000 people, Ontario has twice the rate of BC and Quebec has five times the rate of BC. This page provides some good comparisons on a total cases basis since the pandemic started: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection.html

As @sly_karma has observed, what's happening in BC is not really comparable with what's happening in Quebec and Ontario. As the figures above show, Covid in BC is nowhere near as prevalent as it is in Ontario and Quebec. It was also reported on the news here tonight that the R number for BC has dropped back below 1. If that continues, the downward trajectory of cases in BC will continue.

main street and sly_karma like this.
  7. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I see there is a little bit of snow in the SP forecast over the next 5 days, (11cm mid mountain and 2cm in the village) (and yes (this will probably disappear form the forecast)

Nice time of year, when the days get shorter and the temps are already dropping with lows in the village down to -3

Typically this would be a great time of year with the anticipationn of the ski season just around the corner. I hope there is still that excitement in the air despite the issues

Jonathan_P likes this.
  8. Beerman

Beerman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Yes especially when they bring in the YVR, YKL, SP travel bubble.

9. gareth_oau

FTFY

10. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Travel bubble with Australia to those zones? Or travel bubble within those zones?

11. Roymond

Roymond One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Pathetic , I know, but just checked the SP webcams.
    Snow.
    Early ground cooler and perhaps a harbinger for the season?
    Looks good for the long range forecasts. while we are enjoying the Oz summer. :(

Chalkie, Ret-ro and Jonathan_P like this.
  12. Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman First Runs

Yup, it is puking in SP. Ho hum. I will be living this season vicariously through the locals. For me, first season in 21 years I won't be there. Let's hope 2021 we can all get back. Have heard some of the glass half empty folk spruking that we won't see Aus to BC flights until mid 2022 :(

Roymond and Jonathan_P like this.
  13. Roymond

I refuse to believe that. Historically, the Spanish flu was done after a couple of years. vaccine, treatments and natural history of virus prevalence slowly waning tells me that we will get our two weeks SP , one week SS in 2022.
    I’m sticking to that line of thought until proven otherwise and am starting to look at bookings already. :thumbs:.
    glass half empty be damned!

14. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I’d like to think the same way. But has society become a bit soft since 1920? Politicians will now take the populist route.
    Who knows what is in store.

Roymond likes this.
  15. gareth_oau

I think SP have broken their thermometer.

For the last 2 weeks the temp on their website has shown a constant 8 degrees

Ret-ro likes this.
  16. Ret-ro

Ret-ro One of Us

Roymond likes this.
  17. gareth_oau

18. sly_karma

There will be lots of families up there this weekend, combine Thanksgiving with cabin opening and winter prep chores. The kids will love the snow, adults will have to bundle up a bit for their firewood cutting.

19. Captain Caveman

Well I hope you are right my friend and we even share a few runs in SP and look back and reflect what was. Love the optimism

Roymond likes this.
  20. MarzNC

MarzNC One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Happened to see news that a software company called Aspenware is happily providing all sorts of new functions for Sun Peaks, including integrating SkiData RFID data into the pass/ticket system. Aspenware is based in Denver, has been around since 2010, and Sun Peaks is it's first customer outside the USA.

https://aspenware.com/news/oh-canada-welcome-to-the-aspenware-family/

Ret-ro, Roymond and Jonathan_P like this.
  21. Hudson

Hudson One of Us

22. Hudson

Hudson One of Us

Lots of activity going on. Many groups renting homes. Nice to see a diverse group. The SE Asians are really embracing Winter sports. Three generations playing ball hockey on our street Grandpa in the net.

Once ski resorts are back in full swing, we will have a new crop of skiers/boarders to enhance the financial health of the Resorts.

23. Captain Caveman

Amazing how a bit of snow just transforms a resort. My friend, I saw some footage of some testing of the new Crystal Chair. Theory is to have it ready on opening day?? Won't be seeing you at 8.15 every morning this season unfortunately. Cross fingers for 2021. Hope Mr Hudson is well and remains the wild beast that he is :)

northsail, Roymond and Jonathan_P like this.
  24. Hudson

Hudson One of Us

Mr Hudson is now 10 but still feisty.
    Snow guns going the past few days. It’s cold enough. The RFID infrastructure is being installed at the base of each chair.

northsail, whether, Pademelon and 4 others like this.
  25. sly_karma

Apex started the guns this week too. Snow forecast in the valleys tonight. If it happens, it'll be the first time I've seen snow at valley floor in October in the 27 years I've been here year round.

26. Gumbie

Gumbie Hard Yards

We're booked in for 4 nights from December 5 utilising the MC pass. So glad to see the early snow. There will be a ski season! I'll be sure to post some pics.

Roymond and northsail like this.
  27. sly_karma

10-20 cm fell in the valleys, depending on where you were. Several southern interior towns and cities set new records for earliest snowfall since beginning of record keeping.

Chalkie, northsail and Jonathan_P like this.
  28. Chalkie

@Gumbie, when you say "utilising" the MC pass, what does that mean?

I'm doing a trip starting at Sun Peaks in mid-Feb (going to Revelstoke and Panorama (and Kelowna @main street and Penticton @sly_karma - details to come)). Accommodation is all booked, but as yet Sun Peaks hasn't said one "uses" the MP pass there. Do you have any further information about this?

main street likes this.
  29. absentskier

MC gives 2 days at Sun Peaks doesn’t it?

30. Chalkie

Yep, and if you purchased early enough, a bonus third day, then 50% off day tix.

But no information yet about one collects one's MC pass (SP is the first MC destination to which I'm going) or how one reserves one's ski days.

31. Gumbie

Gumbie Hard Yards

Yep, I have 2 days at Sun Peaks. Mrs Gumbie and Teen Gumbie have MC. Miss Gumbie has grade 5 pass, 2 days at all resorts. The third day I'll want to grab for half price, but we might just enjoy family snowtubing, snowshoeing, shopping and lunching. We stop at Revelstoke for another 4 nights on the way back to Calgary. I nominated the third included day for Revelstoke. I've emailed MC to see if you can change your nomination but only received an automated 'busy' email. I haven't followed up with a phone call. November weekends will be spent at Sunshine and Lake Louise. Over Christmas we'll be at Kicking Horse, Fernie (NH epic) and Panorama. A day at Nakiska and Mt Norquay and I'll have made up for lost time over spring break and Easter earlier this year. Hopefully we fly home on January 7, booked Cathay Pacific via honkers. Air Canada has been cancelling fellow teacher exchange flights throughout December. Tough times for some with refunds not being given.

Jonathan_P likes this.
  32. Ret-ro

Ret-ro One of Us

I see that one of the Banff resorts is opening the earliest ever (or 95 years) , Silverstar and Big White have decent snow and Sun Peaks is away. Looks great, seems a long long way away

Jonathan_P likes this.
  33. MarzNC

MarzNC One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

The MCP doesn't work like Ikon or Epic where you have the same card good at all locations the entire season. You end up with a "season pass" card at each MCP location you get to for a given season. Eventually instructions for pick up will be on the MCP website (click on Pass Pickup in the menu line) for all resorts.

For resorts that use RFID, sometimes can use the same RFID card for more than one season. The first time I used the MCP at Jackson Hole, I had to pay $5 for the RFID card. Wasn't too happy. At Alta, an MCP holder gets a new RFID card every season but it's free.

Most resorts allow linking a credit card so that the pass card can be used to charge additional days, food, or purchases at a resort shop, but it's optional.

#283 MarzNC, Oct 25, 2020 at 9:19 AM
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2020 at 1:55 PM
    Chalkie likes this.
  34. Chalkie

Thanks so much @MarzNC . I've not used MCP before so was a bit uncertain about the mechanics. This is very helpful - I know what to do now!

MarzNC likes this.
  35. Ret-ro

Ret-ro One of Us

Cool early start to winter

36. gareth_oau

so pictureseque and fantasyworld-like

I think the fencing on the left of the pic is new, and I havent seen those wooden tables/chairs on the right hand side before

Kash, Roymond and Jonathan_P like this.
  37. sly_karma

Still in summer mode. Even at elevation no one was ready for snow in October.

gareth_oau likes this.
  38. gareth_oau

a decent fall now, plus snow guns on. must be confident that ehat will retain lots

39. sly_karma

Yes turning on guns is confident. Lots of money being spent, and using water allocation. An early cold front is a gift, hopefully the pineapple doesn't show up in early November and steal the gift.

Chalkie likes this.
  40. Hudson

Hudson One of Us

Nordic trails got deeper as we climbed in elevation. A great base with deep powder.
    Skiable now with backcountry Nordic skis.

41. Hudson

Hudson One of Us

Not a great photo but you may be able to see the tracks on the lower pitch of Blazer or could it have been Run Away Lane. That’s the Sumner grooming at work. The tracks come from the top. Yesterday.

42. gareth_oau

What’s the cumulative fall so far?

43. Hudson

Hudson One of Us

The sun has compressed the early snows. it varies according to the orientation to the sun.
    once you are above the top of Cruiser, I would say it could be 20-30 cm. Just a guess.

We are Nordic skiing with the local hiking club up to the top of Morrisey via the Nordic trails tomorrow. Will report back.

The draconian rules for Covid are finally being questioned worldwide. The collateral damage is huge here as elsewhere where tourism is the driver. In this case the cure is worse than the disease. I am surprised that there aren’t more protests in Melbourne. Who’s running the show there and what’s their agenda. Very low deaths. The cycle of revolution is here.

44. absentskier

Would be great to keep Victorian political discussion out of a public Canadian ski resort reporting thread.

sly_karma and Chalkie like this.
  45. Roymond

@Hudson, is that a new carpet at the base of Sunburst?
    When did that pop in?

46. Hudson

Hudson One of Us

About five years ago it was moved from it’s original location above the Village Poma to that location. Serves as the beginner area.

47. Hudson

Hudson One of Us

I guess we won’t be seeing anyone from that jurisdiction in Canada for awhile. Just don’t tell them and they won’t know otherwise or be offended.

48. Roymond

So thats embarrassing. I've been back since then and didnt notice it!

49. absentskier

You will see people from Victoria at the same time as people from the rest of Australia.

50. gareth_oau

Jonathan_P and Roymond like this.