Sun peaks 2021/2022

Roymond

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 1, 2018
Why not? Gotta take a chance or two sometimes!
Email today from SP 40% off season lift passes..
Rightio says the Roymond clan.
Accomodation booked from 29th dec to 16th jan.
Flights are... pretty full already (plenty of aussies with the same idea) but booked (BNE -YVR).
Wife excited.
Kids excited.
Just gotta get Scotty and Justin on board and off we go.
Who’s keen?

absentskier

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Flights are... pretty full already (plenty of aussies with the same idea) but booked (BNE -YVR).
Wife excited.
Kids excited.
Who’s keen?
Plenty are keen, but don't want to lost their money! Can you cancel without any cost?

Reactions: Roymond

Roymond

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 1, 2018
Plenty are keen, but don't want to lost their money! Can you cancel without any cost?
Yup. Accomodation 100% refundable, same with flights and lift passes both if cancelled before dec 1.
To make doubly sure, we’ve booked through our credit card which has a complete refundable insurance.
Just for once, we’ve thought it all through and won’t (shouldn’t) get burnt if it all goes pear shaped again.

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
Yup. Accomodation 100% refundable, same with flights and lift passes both if cancelled before dec 1.
To make doubly sure, we’ve booked through our credit card which has a complete refundable insurance.
Just for once, we’ve thought it all through and won’t (shouldn’t) get burnt if it all goes pear shaped again.
Yeah I had fully refundable up to 5 days before Xmas holiday in Tas booked last year. Borders closed 4 days before :doh:

I’m not trusting anything.

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
Wife excited.
Kids excited.
Who’s keen?
I’m keen and I love your optimism.
If you don’t mind me intruding into finances.
Did you book through a package thing? Which crowd?
How much for flights? Season passes? Accommodation?
I would leave a little earlier if possible.

Roymond

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 1, 2018
Accomodation was in a chalet (three bears chalet) where we stayed previously; they know us well and understand we wouldn’t stiff them with anything around payments- hence the 100%return if we are forced to cancel.
Season passes was direct with the resort. Winter 21/22 season passes went on sale today at 40% off normal rates, so we jumped, this offer expires at end April.
Season passes were $1000 for adults, $700 for youth ( two of the kids) and $300 for number three, aged 12. Works out to be about $47/person/day for our 17 days skiing.

We are flying AC premium economy, there is a deal at the moment with 2 for 1 prices for PE over economy - it works out about $700/ head more expensive than economy, so we thought why not?
PE was $5300 bne to yka return, economy $4600 for the same.
flights were booked through a travel agent we have used before- global jet setting in Ascot. They got us home promptly when we were in snowmass for a conference when the borders were closing in March last year.

It’s times like that you realise why a travel agent is worth the little more cost and we will support Wendy (the manager ) from here on in for her efforts last year.

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
Accomodation was in a chalet (three bears chalet) where we stayed previously; they know us well and understand we wouldn’t stiff them with anything around payments- hence the 100%return if we are forced to cancel.
Season passes was direct with the resort. Winter 21/22 season passes went on sale today at 40% off normal rates, so we jumped, this offer expires at end April.
Season passes were $1000 for adults, $700 for youth ( two of the kids) and $300 for number three, aged 12. Works out to be about $47/person/day for our 17 days skiing.

We are flying AC premium economy, there is a deal at the moment with 2 for 1 prices for PE over economy - it works out about $700/ head more expensive than economy, so we thought why not?
PE was $5300 bne to yka return, economy $4600 for the same.
flights were booked through a travel agent we have used before- global jet setting in Ascot. They got us home promptly when we were in snowmass for a conference when the borders were closing in March last year.

It’s times like that you realise why a travel agent is worth the little more cost and we will support Wendy (the manager ) from here on in for her efforts last year.
So to confirm flights are $2300 return?

oldgeezer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 18, 2016
Grandpa oh and computer programmer too.
Down the back on AC HD is for sado-masochists. Their PE is the pits compared with others. Not much more than United's Y+ i.e. it is Economy Plus rather than Business Minus as on AirNZ, Qantas and esp JAL. Still far better than sardine class. If the budget is limited then try Y going over and PE=Y+ returning (that being the long overnight flight). Alternately recall my posts from a couple of years back for a couple using a travel agent: Book 3 seats on the side for two people. Three times the base fare for one but only twice the taxes and maybe fuel surcharge.

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
Down the back on AC HD is for sado-masochists. Their PE is the pits compared with others. Not much more than United's Y+ i.e. it is Economy Plus rather than Business Minus as on AirNZ, Qantas and esp JAL. Still far better than sardine class. If the budget is limited then try Y going over and PE=Y+ returning (that being the long overnight flight). Alternately recall my posts from a couple of years back for a couple using a travel agent: Book 3 seats on the side for two people. Three times the base fare for one but only twice the taxes and maybe fuel surcharge.
I can handle 13 hours of discomfort for a substantial saving. I do 12 hours of discomfort 320 days per year at work.

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
What are your thoughts on the kids being immunised by then. To my knowledge there are no plans for children being vaccinated at this stage.
Will airlines and other countries allow unvaccinated children to travel?

Roymond

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 1, 2018
We are placing a lot of faith in our travel agent. According to her, kids will be exempt based on lack of evidence of transmission. Travel will only happen between countries of similar vaccination status ‘mini bubbles’ she called them. Travel will be dependent on pre travel pcr and on the day swabs.

Beerman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 15, 2015
Brisvegas
We are placing a lot of faith in our travel agent. According to her, kids will be exempt based on lack of evidence of transmission. Travel will only happen between countries of similar vaccination status ‘mini bubbles’ she called them. Travel will be dependent on pre travel pcr and on the day swabs.
I hope it goes as planned, that's a lot of "if's" though

Roymond

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 1, 2018
I hope it goes as planned, that's a lot of "if's" though
Yeah, I know. But it does give us something to look forward to. It’s the ultimate family time and the kids are already crossing off calendar days.

Reactions: Sbooker

Roymond

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 1, 2018
Sunpeaks runs a resort shuttle from both Kelowna and kamloops airports. Kelowna is closer to BW or SS; it’s about a 3 hr drive to SP.
kamloops is 45 minutes.

Reactions: jack johnson

oldgeezer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 18, 2016
Grandpa oh and computer programmer too.
High Density. The B777 was rather nice until then even down the back, for passengers and cabin crew. The AC bean counters figured if Emirates could go HD for tiny Asian indentured serfs being transported to the Gulf to work for their masters then so could AC transporting Australians to Canada. The bean counters figured that they should do the same to the B787 previously tagged the 'Dreamliner'.

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
High Density. The B777 was rather nice until then even down the back, for passengers and cabin crew. The AC bean counters figured if Emirates could go HD for tiny Asian indentured serfs being transported to the Gulf to work for their masters then so could AC transporting Australians to Canada. The bean counters figured that they should do the same to the B787 previously tagged the 'Dreamliner'.
Thanks for the explanation.
I’m of small stature. As are my wife and kids.
I’ve never been on a long hall flight I’m not stoked to be on. The excitement of being in a different country outweighs all discomfort of being in a seat for 24 hours.
We can usually get six hours sleep on a flight too. I guess that helps.

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Canberra
Got onto my mate.

Were 57 students going to LA in January 2021 spread over 2 dates, so flights rolled over to January 2022.

Dates aren’t set in concrete but possibly 9 January Sydney/LA, back 24 January, so get back to Sydney Australia Day for his kid & few days earlier for other part of group, who are going to California to play basketball.

Out of 57, around 20 can’t or don’t want to go & paid about $2000 each. Parents looking to recoup a decent % of this amount, but open to offers.

Found on skyscanner $1800 fare Sydney to LA same dates, via Vancouver on Air Canada, but when looked for Sydney to Vancouver same flights it went to $3800 & also $3800 to Kamloops. So $2000 more to not include flights Vancouver/LA & back. Is that weird or an error ?

So based on above, I was thinking of making them an offer like $4800 for 4 tickets.

So if can get to LA for $1200 each, pay for night or 2 at some cheap hotel say $150 then get to Kelowna on points, which includes bags, then can put up with 3 hour transfer.

Maybe do same on way home, overnight in LA or 2, so no stress if plenty of snow around & roads in BC are a mess or closed for a day.
So wait the student has a kid?

If you are going to make a story up to flog your tickets, at least make it sound half decent.

Reactions: skiflat

Ret-ro

One of Us
Sep 7, 2017
How long can you get a Visa in Canada to stay on holiday for? 6 months , 12 months?? Go and stay!!!.. I would not worry about 40% off Use Mountain Collective for SP, and around 6 others over there .. But ??? the risk. no flights yet.. I will get to October and reassess...
My airfares are usually around 1500 for the family of 5 . Frequents are good.. A very good secret for access to Vancouver is out there!!.

absentskier

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Got onto my mate.

Were 57 students going to LA in January 2021 spread over 2 dates, so flights rolled over to January 2022.

Dates aren’t set in concrete but possibly 9 January Sydney/LA, back 24 January, so get back to Sydney Australia Day for his kid & few days earlier for other part of group, who are going to California to play basketball.

Out of 57, around 20 can’t or don’t want to go & paid about $2000 each. Parents looking to recoup a decent % of this amount, but open to offers.

Found on skyscanner $1800 fare Sydney to LA same dates, via Vancouver on Air Canada, but when looked for Sydney to Vancouver same flights it went to $3800 & also $3800 to Kamloops. So $2000 more to not include flights Vancouver/LA & back. Is that weird or an error ?

So based on above, I was thinking of making them an offer like $4800 for 4 tickets.

So if can get to LA for $1200 each, pay for night or 2 at some cheap hotel say $150 then get to Kelowna on points, which includes bags, then can put up with 3 hour transfer.

Maybe do same on way home, overnight in LA or 2, so no stress if plenty of snow around & roads in BC are a mess or closed for a day.
Go away.

Chalkie

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2002
Vancouver, Canada

And that Canada has dropped its quarantine requirement, which is currently hotel quarantine for three days to start, followed by another 11 days of home or hotel isolation.

Keep an eye for something in that regard coming on 22 April - I was told by a doctor who is running the gauntlet of US-Canada crossings for various complicated life reasons that there may be an announcement from the government around that time. All rumour of course, but it will be interesting to see if anything happens.

Our Sun Peaks trip is booked for mid-Feb 22, but we just have to drive there!

Reactions: Ret-ro and Roymond

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
Be cautious that if you can still travel, subject to quarantining, refunds or insurance claims might prove problematic
Yes. I'm beyond keen but can't bring myself to pull the trigger. Too many questions and variables for my liking at this early point. I hope as things progress we will some more clarity by mid year.

Ret-ro

One of Us
Sep 7, 2017
Wife excited.
Kids excited.
Who’s keen?
Would you not use Mountain Collective? What are pros v cons there

Roymond

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 1, 2018
Would you not use Mountain Collective? What are pros v cons there
Talked directly to the resort- we get accomodation discount if bought directly through them and guaranteed access.
Costs were similar.
We are not skiing anywhere else.
And I completely forgot about the mountain collective thing to be completely honest. o_O

Reactions: Ret-ro

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
A month later than I thought, but most of Canada appears to be heading into third wave now. Cases rising rapidly, and more in younger people now, so blessedly fewer ICU admits and deaths. With warm weather coming in fast, and vaccinations finally happening in mass numbers, this wave won't be as severe or deadly as the first two. Pretty much all nursing home residents and staff are fully immunized now.

What will be problematic for prospective visitors to Canada is the uncertainty this third wave will add to the picture. Re-opening plans are being suspended and once again most summer events are canceling. We're still on track to have everyone vaccinated by end of Sept, but reopening for international travel and large events will still be very much in doubt.

Chalkie

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2002
Vancouver, Canada
A month later than I thought, but most of Canada appears to be heading into third wave now. Cases rising rapidly, and more in younger people now, so blessedly fewer ICU admits and deaths. With warm weather coming in fast, and vaccinations finally happening in mass numbers, this wave won't be as severe or deadly as the first two. Pretty much all nursing home residents and staff are fully immunized now.

What will be problematic for prospective visitors to Canada is the uncertainty this third wave will add to the picture. Re-opening plans are being suspended and once again most summer events are canceling. We're still on track to have everyone vaccinated by end of Sept, but reopening for international travel and large events will still be very much in doubt.

Can't like, but it's the very unfortunate truth!

Ret-ro

One of Us
Sep 7, 2017
What will be problematic for prospective visitors to Canada is the uncertainty this third wave will add to the picture. Re-opening plans are being suspended and once again most summer events are canceling. We're still on track to have everyone vaccinated by end of Sept, but reopening for international travel and large events will still be very much in doubt.[/QUOTE]
Talked directly to the resort- we get accomodation discount if bought directly through them and guaranteed access.
Costs were similar.
We are not skiing anywhere else.
And I completely forgot about the mountain collective thing to be completely honest. o_O
Raymond , all good.. I am only looking at it due to Thredbo over here. Its still a mess. Hopefully by end of season we will be close to 60% vaccinated.. and similar there. The bubbles might start then. 50 /50 on next year, & yes in a month I would like to get over to Sunshine and Lake Louise etc...

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
I'd love to take a spring road trip and hit Sunshine and LL while they're enjoying this above average snowpack - and without the usual crowds of tourists. But official policy still asks us to stay close to home and ski locally.

bomber

Having a good time
Ski Pass
Jun 3, 2001
Brisbane
sly sounds a plan. I was meaning how you were going to ski locally. It seems though BC Gov is shutting everything now?

Taipan

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
NSW Mid North Coast
Purchased early bird season passes last week with the attached insurance 21-22 season.

I have the luxury of being totally variable with travel times and own accommodation. I can travel all the way through to end of season.

Contrary to the ongoing media insistance that the world is about to end because of C19, I remain far more optimistic.

I would not be surprised that 1 month in the not too distant future, all the restrictions will be lifted, and the world will reopen completely.

Reactions: Captain Caveman

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Purchased early bird season passes last week with the attached insurance 21-22 season.

I have the luxury of being totally variable with travel times and own accommodation. I can travel all the way through to end of season.

Contrary to the ongoing media insistance that the world is about to end because of C19, I remain far more optimistic.

I would not be surprised that 1 month in the not too distant future, all the restrictions will be lifted, and the world will reopen completely.

I like your enthusiasm, but I'm not expecting to travel next season. I also suspect it will be too expensive for me for car hire and plane airfares soon after opening

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC

Things will come back slowly, and at different rates in different places. Still hot and heavy third wave in Canada at present. Won't be one specific moment when we say, "That's it, it's all over."

Reactions: Roymond and Chalkie

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
Things will come back slowly, and at different rates in different places. Still hot and heavy third wave in Canada at present. Won't be one specific moment when we say, "That's it, it's all over."

I think the most pragmatic way forward is to start with a travel bubble between Australia and Kamloops greater region (with quanrantined transit lounges on the way)

Reactions: Roymond and Sbooker

cqen2l

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2003
Northern Beaches
I like your enthusiasm, but I'm not expecting to travel next season. I also suspect it will be too expensive for me for car hire and plane airfares soon after opening
Yeap, car hire in North America has gone through the roof. With all the travel restrictions the car hire companies started selling off their fleets. Stock is scarce so availability is scant and prices are sky rocketing. Son and GF are traveling to Alaska next month and car hire, now secured, was an expensive punish.

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC

I said elsewhere that the likely earliest return to some sort of travel internationally for Aussies to Canada would be mid 2022..... & I largely based that on what was going on in Canada & the approach the Canadian Govt was taking...... The Australian Govt just said,.... "Hold my beer" .....

Turns out I was right about the mid 2022 call.

Shock Budget detail reveals Australia's international border will be shut until mid-2022 - another YEAR away - and it could get worse if there's another Covid-19 outbreak
  • Australians won't be travelling overseas until at least the middle of 2022
  • That's according to Federal Budget 2021 forecasts released on Tuesday
  • Officials assume there will be a 'gradual' return to normal travel after that
  • Last year the government predicted borders would be open by October 2021

Australians won't be travelling overseas again until at least the middle of 2022 the government predicts - in a major shift on its previous claim that the border could reopen by October this year.

Government forecasts released in federal budget documents on Tuesday say that inbound and outbound international travel into Australia 'will remain low through to mid-2022.'

But officials assume there will then be a 'gradual' return to normal travel after that point.

Last year the Government predicted international borders would be open in October 2021 after the whole adult population has been offered a vaccination.

However, this timeline has now been pushed back as Australia's vaccination rollout falls behind due to supply shortages and vaccine hesitancy.

Even when the borders open, Treasury officials admit the number of Aussies travelling overseas won't return to pre-pandemic levels for some time.

Tonight's forecast is only a government assumption which could be wrecked at any point by a serious Covid outbreaks or mutant virus variants.

At the weekend, Prime Minister Scott Morrison said the border would remain closed 'indefinitely' to protect the Australian way of life.

'We sit here as an island that's living like few countries in the world are at the moment,' he said.

'We have to be careful not to exchange that way of life for what everyone else has.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chalkie

Captain Caveman

Early Days
Sep 24, 2020
I said elsewhere that the likely earliest return to some sort of travel internationally for Aussies to Canada would be mid 2022..... & I largely based that on what was going on in Canada & the approach the Canadian Govt was taking...... The Australian Govt just said,.... "Hold my beer" .....

Turns out I was right about the mid 2022 call.

Shock Budget detail reveals Australia's international border will be shut until mid-2022 - another YEAR away - and it could get worse if there's another Covid-19 outbreak
  • Australians won't be travelling overseas until at least the middle of 2022
  • That's according to Federal Budget 2021 forecasts released on Tuesday
  • Officials assume there will be a 'gradual' return to normal travel after that
  • Last year the government predicted borders would be open by October 2021

Australians won't be travelling overseas again until at least the middle of 2022 the government predicts - in a major shift on its previous claim that the border could reopen by October this year.

Government forecasts released in federal budget documents on Tuesday say that inbound and outbound international travel into Australia 'will remain low through to mid-2022.'

But officials assume there will then be a 'gradual' return to normal travel after that point.

Last year the Government predicted international borders would be open in October 2021 after the whole adult population has been offered a vaccination.

However, this timeline has now been pushed back as Australia's vaccination rollout falls behind due to supply shortages and vaccine hesitancy.

Even when the borders open, Treasury officials admit the number of Aussies travelling overseas won't return to pre-pandemic levels for some time.

Tonight's forecast is only a government assumption which could be wrecked at any point by a serious Covid outbreaks or mutant virus variants.

At the weekend, Prime Minister Scott Morrison said the border would remain closed 'indefinitely' to protect the Australian way of life.

'We sit here as an island that's living like few countries in the world are at the moment,' he said.

'We have to be careful not to exchange that way of life for what everyone else has.

I still think mid 2022 is the best case but more like 2023. Always the optimist is healthy but not realistic.

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
Let's wait until the political pressure starts being applied. I'm certainly not saying we'll be travelling at Christmas but I wouldn't be surprised if really keen punters could get some spring turns in next Easter in select northern hemisphere countries.

Roymond

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 1, 2018
I am trying not to rant but... The sheer illogicality of it all does my head in. In a world with marvelous vaccines that work, of course youd sit back and watch, wouldnt you?
And the obvious political opportunism and cynicism- who do they think they are fooling?
And it’s more than our family not skiing for another year.
Thats a first world problem.
Of course I feel foolish hoping and trusting that our bookings will be able to be fulfilled and its still giving the family something to look forward to, albeit with increasing sense of futility.

The implications for travel restrictions has hit many of my rural patients particularly hard in unforeseen ways.
Cattle exports, grain quality control, access to first hand assessment for machinery quality control are some of numerous examples that I didn't think of, and its starting to bite my punters harder and harder.

I guess., as long as our fearless leaders get elected, it doesn't really matter does it? after all, we are a very safe LNP electorate- why would our opinion matter in a representative democracy?

Stick

Addicted
Apr 11, 2016
This headline is exactly why borders are not reopening

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...-sydney-hotel-quarantine-20210507-p57pt4.html

Of course they can still catch it, it just because they are fully vaccinated they most likely won't get seriously ill.. People still catch the flu when they get the flu shot.. But people don't read past their noses & politicians wont reopen borders until we all at least have a shot.

Reactions: main street

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Let's wait until the political pressure starts being applied. I'm certainly not saying we'll be travelling at Christmas but I wouldn't be surprised if really keen punters could get some spring turns in next Easter in select northern hemisphere countries.

You can have all the "political" pressure you want in Australia,.... But it takes two to tango so even if Australia lets you out sooner than mid 2022,..... Canada will not be letting you in any time soon.

As has been mentioned before,..... Canada is in the midst of another wave of infections and some of the most severe lockdowns yet (for Canada),......

The first thing that will happen will be a slight relaxation of the land based restrictions between Canada & the US,.... If, and only if the case counts & infection rates in both countries have dropped significantly from where they are now....... That's a while off yet.

It's why I figured it would be September / October at the earliest before we see much of a relaxation just between Can / USA ..... Also providing most Canadians can get two shots in by then.....

Both governments will then watch intently for several months to see what the infection trends are IMHO.....

I do not see any sort of lifting of Canadian restrictions in time for Christmas either,.... That is a free for all that I very much doubt will be allowed to happen this year.

I stand by my call of Canadian Summer 2022 before we even consider a full return to "normal" .

Reactions: Chalkie and Roymond

Captain Caveman

Early Days
Sep 24, 2020
A "full return to normal". Who can remember what that even is? Seems like an eternity ago. I hope you are right mate and in a years time we start getting the opportunity to hop on an aeroplane again.

Roymond

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 1, 2018
You can have all the "political" pressure you want in Australia,.... But it takes two to tango so even if Australia lets you out sooner than mid 2022,..... Canada will not be letting you in any time soon.

As has been mentioned before,..... Canada is in the midst of another wave of infections and some of the most severe lockdowns yet (for Canada),......

The first thing that will happen will be a slight relaxation of the land based restrictions between Canada & the US,.... If, and only if the case counts & infection rates in both countries have dropped significantly from where they are now....... That's a while off yet.

It's why I figured it would be September / October at the earliest before we see much of a relaxation just between Can / USA ..... Also providing most Canadians can get two shots in by then.....

Both governments will then watch intently for several months to see what the infection trends are IMHO.....

I do not see any sort of lifting of Canadian restrictions in time for Christmas either,.... That is a free for all that I very much doubt will be allowed to happen this year.

I stand by my call of Canadian Summer 2022 before we even consider a full return to "normal" .
Throw us a bone, here @main street .
Whats the chance of old mate Justin firing up on a "traffic light" system ala UK. Surely Australia/ NZ would be lower risk than allowing the festy plague ridden citizens of the US across the border?
I understand there is an economic component to cross border travel but are there similar discussions regarding international tourism imperatives as well?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass