Sun peaks 2021/2022

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Throw us a bone, here @main street .
Whats the chance of old mate Justin firing up on a "traffic light" system ala UK. Surely Australia/ NZ would be lower risk than allowing the festy plague ridden citizens of the US across the border?
I understand there is an economic component to cross border travel but are there similar discussions regarding international tourism imperatives as well?

Sorry,.... I deal in reality, not fantasy.

Under "normal" conditions Canada would realize more tourism $$ in a day from the USA than it would get via Australia / Unzud in a year....... The amount of 'Murcans that have homes and or cottages in Canada is staggering,......... Absolutely no way the border will open to ANZACS before its fully open to the US....... Never going to happen.

Think about it for a minute.....

Under your scenario, the ONLY way in would be direct via Vancouver if there was a joined bubble...... Now Air Canada would love that,..... but,..... Hello $10,000 a seat in cattle class ?? ...... You better believe it..... Economics 101.

Here's the other pesky little detail....... what ongoing infection rates for Canada would the Australian govt tolerate in order to let Aussie people back in after their very expensive OS jaunt ??

You can be certain that there will not be some magical switch flicked and all the restrictions will disappear in the next few months or so,..... That's ridiculous fantasy and a waste of time to be frank.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
At a practical level, the only flight connections Canada to Australia right now are in and out of the US. Volume has to increase before AC will resume direct flights. Volume won't increase if either govt has restrictions. Australia will keep the borders very tight to preserve the airtight seal they've been able to achieve this past year.

robbo mcs

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
At a practical level, the only flight connections Canada to Australia right now are in and out of the US. Volume has to increase before AC will resume direct flights. Volume won't increase if either govt has restrictions. Australia will keep the borders very tight to preserve the airtight seal they've been able to achieve this past year.

Not stopping AC selling airfares for Syd-Yvr. You can go on the website and purchase a return ticket for Jan-Feb next year. Optimistic I guess, and they get the cash now, and probably then refund then in credits

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Do not book with AC if you expect a refund. They are notorious for reluctantly offering credit vouchers - with 12 month expiry. So bad that $4B of the recent Federal govt assistance package was for cash refunds on canceled flights. Once they've finished giving taxpayers their own money back, they'll have nothing for the next round of refunds. Note this was their normal practice well before Covid.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Here's the other pesky little detail....... what ongoing infection rates for Canada would the Australian govt tolerate in order to let Aussie people back in after their very expensive OS jaunt ??
Rich Australians will 100% be travelling to ski next northern winter, they'll concoct a business reason to be there and quarantine on the way back in. Volume will be minuscule but it will happen.

Reactions: Me+3

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Rich Australians will 100% be travelling to ski next northern winter, they'll concoct a business reason to be there and quarantine on the way back in. Volume will be minuscule but it will happen.

That already has happened...... But we weren't talking about the odd few that manage to slip through the cracks or are prepared to be dishonest enough to con their way in & out.

SnowRabbit

One of Us
Feb 13, 2017
Sydney
Air Canada are flying a number of flights each week into Sydney. Maybe they're freight but they're passenger planes.

robbo mcs

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
Air Canada are flying a number of flights each week into Sydney. Maybe they're freight but they're passenger planes.

Looks like they have direct flights scheduled, see the pic below. However, don’t think you can book those.

A0D9A9BC-C2ED-4480-B997-E94DB0BBD26F.jpeg

Taipan

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
NSW Mid North Coast
RIP. Met him very briefly at MW in 2018. Toasts that night for Warren Miller who had died that year.

He inspired me 40 years ago, and eventually I got there.

‘’Thanks mike. A very special part of my life. I remain hopeful of one more trip.

As Warren Miller [and my son reminded me] if you don’t do it this year…..

F27CFEF4-5A67-415C-8518-4FDC24911198.jpeg

688D87A0-64E3-436C-B9FC-07EF9940E9E0.jpeg

SnowRabbit

One of Us
Feb 13, 2017
Sydney
Those annual Warren Miller movies signalled the start of our ski season and they always featured " Mike Wiegele at Blue River British Columbia..."
Another icon gone.

Reactions: Captain Caveman

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Throw us a bone, here @main street .
Whats the chance of old mate Justin firing up on a "traffic light" system ala UK. Surely Australia/ NZ would be lower risk than allowing the festy plague ridden citizens of the US across the border?
I understand there is an economic component to cross border travel but are there similar discussions regarding international tourism imperatives as well?

The problem is not the going it is the returning. Fix the returning process and we should be good to go.

Captain Caveman

Early Days
Sep 24, 2020
The problem is not the going it is the returning. Fix the returning process and we should be good to go.
I like they way you talk!.
I will happily Quarantine from home and wear a bloody ankle monitoring bracelet and they can test me every freaking day . With the NSW and Vic cluster f*** going on right now I still am not super confident

Reactions: Crystal and Roymond

SnowRabbit

One of Us
Feb 13, 2017
Sydney
I like they way you talk!.
I will happily Quarantine from home and wear a bloody ankle monitoring bracelet and they can test me every freaking day . With the NSW and Vic cluster f*** going on right now I still am not super confident
Obviously still a long way off for us but at least it's a light at the end of the tunnel.
Need to keep ramping up the vaccinations.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums